Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:01:54 pm

Author Topic: What is something that everyone should see/read/watch?  (Read 4666 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
What is something that everyone should see/read/watch?
« on: March 29, 2018, 03:55:48 pm »
+2
Hopefully I’ll have some free time on the holidays (haha) so I want recommendations for things to watch/read. Things like documentaries/speeches, that sort of thing (although I won’t turn down book recommendations either ;) )

So, what’s something life changing* that you’ve seen/read?

*Does not actually need to be life changing haha.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:57:33 pm by PhoenixxFire »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: What is something that everyone should see/read/watch?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 10:30:59 am »
+1
...Does not actually need to be life changing ...

During my holidays, I read Crime and punishment and listened to JFK "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech...
Prolly not life changing, but was an interesting combination...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 02:01:58 pm »
+1
Darkest Hour (2017) was such an incredible movie. It’s about Churchill in WWII, and while it’s not your average exciting action movie, the depictions of humanity and cinematography is so touching!
It’s one of the only films that rendered me completely speechless for an hour after watching it and then a crying mess for two hours after that.
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 02:38:01 pm »
+1
The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton is definitely a must read for anyone who enjoys travelling and adventures!!  ;D ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 02:43:41 pm »
+3
Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER.

The way he writes is so unique and satisfying. His descriptions are amazing and it leaves you with an amazing feel.
Spoiler

(avoid the film, it was trash as usual.. for an adaption)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 02:48:24 pm »
+1
Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER.

Yessss, Stephen King novels are the bomb!

If you like Stephen King, I would also recommend The Oath by Frank Peretti (who is actually a Christian horror novelist, not sure how that works but okay).
 Brilliant read. :)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 03:00:57 pm »
+3
The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur.

Also Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:51:42 pm »
+2
I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 07:02:34 pm »
+6
I think The Handmaid's Tale is a must-read for society wokeness, not as an uplifting/life changing kind of way. I also really like the film The Lives of Others. Both of these texts really changed the way I grip life and liberty. The first is my favourite book of all time, and the second is my favourite film of all time. But they aren't happy books/films - they just make me appreciate liberty now. Changed my perspective a lot.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 07:19:59 pm »
+1
I think The Handmaid's Tale is a must-read for society wokeness, not as an uplifting/life changing kind of way. I also really like the film The Lives of Others. Both of these texts really changed the way I grip life and liberty. The first is my favourite book of all time, and the second is my favourite film of all time. But they aren't happy books/films - they just make me appreciate liberty now. Changed my perspective a lot.
Yes! The Handmaid's Tale really gets you to reflect on the state of society, kinda like the updated version of 1984. Although, I found the ending a bit confusing :/

The TV show was also great! I found it slightly uncomfortable to watch but that was kinda the point! It wanted you to reconsider their perception of how society will end up- really confronting (perhaps it could be used as an ORT?). Plus, the video essay I watched about how framing was used to empower these female characters even though they don't have a huge role in their society made me appreciate the text even more!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 08:14:36 pm »
I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. :)
I have to read this for English, so I’ll probably hate it by the time I’m done but I am looking forward to reading it.

I think The Handmaid's Tale is a must-read for society wokeness, not as an uplifting/life changing kind of way.
I haven’t read the book but I have seen the tv show (and i’m eagerly awaiting the second season). Is it worth reading the book as well? I normally much prefer reading but I struggle to finish a book when I already know the plot line.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 09:33:05 pm »
+1
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari): A German Expressionism silent film made in 1920. I just find it interesting how they were able to create this thriller film with such a low budget, no colour and no dialogue.

Billy Elliot: a beautiful coming of age film that is a must watch if you haven't seen it already!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:49 pm »
+1
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari): A German Expressionism silent film made in 1920. I just find it interesting how they were able to create this thriller film with such a low budget, no colour and no dialogue.
Omg yes! It's impressive how they were able to make a pretty compelling story without any fancy technology. Pretty sure the film was known to have an unreliable narrator, which was what made this film revolutionary (along with the fact that their sets are amazing).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 08:53:27 am »
+4
Everyone should watch Lady Bird. Hands down.
2017: VCE COMPLETED

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 01:48:31 pm »
+5
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank is a must read in my opinion. I've never been affected by a book in such a way before (I was recently in Amsterdam and I got to see the Annex she lived in, was almost in tears, but I'm so glad that I went). I recently saw a stat suggesting that 41% for millennials in America think that 2 million or less Jews died during the Holocaust (it was actually triple this number, not even including the non-Jewish victims such as the Romani, Jehovah's Witnesses, Communists/Political opponent, black people, disabled, and homosexuals), and 11% have never even heard of the Holocaust before. That's pretty disgraceful in my opinion, and just more of a reason to read this book (Personally feel like it should be mandatory reading at schools). I also think Dunkirk is a must watch film - according to many (and I agree) it's the closest a film could ever get to what life as an ordinary soldier during World War II was like - a pretty important perspective to understand.

Other things that I enjoyed, that are a bit (sort of) "lighter" than the above;
- Battle Royale (book). Not too "light" aha, but its really good. If you liked the Hunger Games, it's got a very similar premise, but tbh I think Battle Royale does it better. I also really enjoyed the movie, but its in Japanese so you have to get used to subtitles!
- Wag the Dog (film). One of my all time faves (was lucky enough to study this in year 12 too!). Basic premise: The US government fakes a war with Albania in order to distract the public from the President's underage sex scandal during the election. I think at a time when the idea of "fake news" seems to be at the forefront, this is a pretty interesting film to watch.
- Game of Thrones (TV). Not only is it just incred, but purely to avoid social exclusion once the next season drops in 2019 ;)
- Any documentary made by Louis Theroux, my hero (who studied history at uni bless up <3)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:50:17 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!