Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:00:48 am

Author Topic: Should I be choosing Chemical Engineering if I don't like Physics?  (Read 7582 times)  Share 

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
  • I set Lisa as my dp to appear a lot smarter
  • Respect: 0
(The title sums up everything, really.)

I'm in Year 12 and studying chemistry as my only science, but I'm really enjoying it so I am considering pursuing a career in it! I've done some research and according to the UNSW website, physics is a "recommended unit of study" for chem engineering and it takes up a large part of the course - which seems problematic for me because I don't really like physics.

So to reiterate my question, should I look for alternative courses if I don't enjoy physics? Is physics an essential part of chem engineering?
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 98+

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD
- B Pharmacy and Management @ USYD

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Should I be choosing Chemical Engineering if I don't like Physics?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:52:56 pm »
+4
(The title sums up everything, really.)

I'm in Year 12 and studying chemistry as my only science, but I'm really enjoying it so I am considering pursuing a career in it! I've done some research and according to the UNSW website, physics is a "recommended unit of study" for chem engineering and it takes up a large part of the course - which seems problematic for me because I don't really like physics.

So to reiterate my question, should I look for alternative courses if I don't enjoy physics? Is physics an essential part of chem engineering?
Hey there,
I happened to know two people who did chemical engineering at UNSW- one changed to doing just mathematics and the other did a double degree in chemical engineering and chemistry. Physics is inevitable. One of them (the one who changed degrees) actually sent me a folder of chem engineering stuff before dropping and there's a physics folder there. Even if you didn't do physics, they'll reteach all the physics concepts you know, just more applicable to chem engineering.

So the physics topics that they'll go through (I'm assuming this is first year chem engineering) are:
Mechanics (linear motion, vectors, motion in two and three dimensions, force and motion, work and energy, gravitation, centre of mass and linear momentum, rotation and torque)
Thermal physics (temperature, kinetic theory of gases, heat and first law of thermodynamics, entropy and second law of thermodynamics)
Waves (oscillation, wave motion, sound waves)

But that doesn't mean you're not alone if you don't like physics! My other friend who did the double degree despised physics yet he graduated last year! So no, just because you don't like physics, doesn't mean you should just discard your goal in doing chem engineering.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
  • I set Lisa as my dp to appear a lot smarter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:49 pm »
Hey there,
I happened to know two people who did chemical engineering at UNSW- one changed to doing just mathematics and the other did a double degree in chemical engineering and chemistry. Physics is inevitable. One of them (the one who changed degrees) actually sent me a folder of chem engineering stuff before dropping and there's a physics folder there. Even if you didn't do physics, they'll reteach all the physics concepts you know, just more applicable to chem engineering.

So the physics topics that they'll go through (I'm assuming this is first year chem engineering) are:
Mechanics (linear motion, vectors, motion in two and three dimensions, force and motion, work and energy, gravitation, centre of mass and linear momentum, rotation and torque)
Thermal physics (temperature, kinetic theory of gases, heat and first law of thermodynamics, entropy and second law of thermodynamics)
Waves (oscillation, wave motion, sound waves)

But that doesn't mean you're not alone if you don't like physics! My other friend who did the double degree despised physics yet he graduated last year! So no, just because you don't like physics, doesn't mean you should just discard your goal in doing chem engineering.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for that! That helped me gain a better insight into what I should be expecting - I will continue looking into it and hopefully attending Open Day and stuff will help

Also, a special thanks for answering every single one of my questions I've been posting on ATAR Notes lately! All of them have been SO insightful - you're a superstar ;D
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 98+

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD
- B Pharmacy and Management @ USYD

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:15:24 pm »
Thank you so much for that! That helped me gain a better insight into what I should be expecting - I will continue looking into it and hopefully attending Open Day and stuff will help

Also, a special thanks for answering every single one of my questions I've been posting on ATAR Notes lately! All of them have been SO insightful - you're a superstar ;D
Haha no problem :D Didn't realise that I answered to all your latest questions!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW