Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:23:30 am

Author Topic: How to structure a geography extended response?  (Read 7594 times)  Share 

mjgass

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
How to structure a geography extended response?
« on: May 01, 2018, 08:48:25 pm »
+1
I have to write an in-class extended response for geography soon, I'm not sure what the best way to structure my essay is though. I don't know what the exact question is going to be, but it's for ecosystems at risk and we were told it would have something to do with Management Strategies/Human & Natural Impacts. I'm not sure where/if I always need to include locational/spatial factors etc. in geo essays, what to write in my introduction, or how to divide my paragraphs. It seems very different to the type of essay I'd write for something like English or Modern History!

flubistar

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
Re: How to structure a geography extended response?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:18:31 pm »
+7
Hey,

If the question is something like "Evaluate traditional and contemporary management strategies of TWO ecosystems at risk" then it is pretty simple. My advice is to go over your dp 5 notes in regards to the two ecosystems you have chosen to study. Your notes should be structured regarding the syllabus dot points.

My advice is to go with this structure

Intro

B1 - Discussion of human/natural impacts upon ecosystems in general.

B2 - Discuss Ecosystem 1's vulnerability and resilience as well as the human impacts which have disrupted the ecosystem's dynamic equilibrium.

B3- Talk about management strategies used

B4 - Evaluate these strategies with ESD.

Repeat this process for the next ecosystem. In the case the question doesn't specify how many ecosystems to talk about, the general rule of thumb is three ecosystems in depth.

Regarding writing a geography essay, they're super simple. Unlike English, they get straight to the point. Basically, use the PEEL method and you'll be all good (I got 20/20 for every essay so trust me, its fine). The differentiating factor is your terminology and knowledge of your ecosystems with respect to the syllabus. Ensure when you discuss the impacts you look at how this affects the ecosystem (cause and effect). Tie in vulnerability and resilience for a more cohesive argument. Define all your terminology (markers love it when you actually know what you're talking about). Furthermore, when you evaluate, you must evaluate against all 4 principles of ESD. Mind you, with essays, don't leave out anything - just include anything you can think of. The less detailed an essay is, the harder it is to break into the 19/20 range.

Hope this helps! PM me if you want examples, I can offer more help if needed.
HSC 2017
Geography 95

HSC 2018
Eng Adv: 90 Math Adv 91 Legal Studies: 91 Eco: 92 Bus Studies: 92

2018 ATAR: 97.95

Studying a Bachelor of Commerce (Co-op) - Prof Accounting with B Professional Practice