Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:11:30 pm

Author Topic: Dating shows: Why are they still popular?  (Read 623 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Dating shows: Why are they still popular?
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:58:06 pm »
+4
Just like the title says.. Dating shows and why are they still popular?

There's something both appealing AND horrendous when it comes to reality tv- most specifically; dating shows. Everytime a dating show finishes on TV, a new one comes on air. It's an endless cycle.

I found myself watching dating shows quite recently back in early 2017 when I accidentally stumbled across Married at First Sight on TV. I watched one episode and I was HOOKED. Then I watched the Bachelorette because of Sophie Monk and ended up liking the show. This year, Bachelor in Paradise came out and I thought that was the end of reality TV/dating shows for me..

Then Love Island Australia came out and no matter how many times I tell myself it's trash, I still find myself drawn towards it. I laugh. I gasp. I shout at my TV.

We know as an outside audience that everything is fabricated and superficial on dating shows. We know that there's a good chance that the couples will break up. We know that a lot of people go on these shows for fame. So I now pose the question; why are they still popular? Why do we still watch them? Why do we thrive on drama created by people we don't even know? What do we gain out of it? Why do we even bother?

Keen to hear your thoughts :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.