Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:07:07 pm

Poll

Where's your #1 travel destination atm (as in, the place you want to go most)?

Somewhere in Africa
5 (9.8%)
Somewhere in Antarctica
3 (5.9%)
Somewhere in Asia
15 (29.4%)
Somewhere in Australia
3 (5.9%)
Somewhere in Europe
15 (29.4%)
Somewhere in North America
5 (9.8%)
Somewhere in South America
3 (5.9%)
I can't decide!
2 (3.9%)
I'm not really interested in travelling atm
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Where's your #1 "I really want to travel there" destination?  (Read 3598 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
+11
I've allowed three choices on the poll, because I recognise that this is a pretty difficult question to answer hahaha.

I think, for me, the two countries that most tickle my whiskers at the moment are South Korea and Scotland (must be something about countries starting with "S" lol).

South Korea I just have a gut feeling I'd really like. I had the same gut feeling with Japan, and that proved accurate. I also have some friends who have been there and have recommended it. Really keen.

As for Scotland, I think some of my desire comes from family ties. Like, I'd love to see where my great great great grandfather or whatever grew up. I feel a bit of a connection to Scotland for that reason.

How about y'all? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Where's your #1 "I really want to travel there" destination?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 05:28:36 pm »
+12
Norway. There's just so many spectacular places I want to take in. See the view, smell the breeze, taste the air, blah blah.

Some of my reasons are enclosed in spoilers

Geirangerfjord
Trolltunga
Moskenesøya
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 05:31:50 pm »
+7
I really want to go back to a couple places I have been before like Vegas, LA, and a couple of pacific islands, etc. but my number 1 new destination would have to be Japan. Going drifting in the mountains or just exploring the city looks so fun. I just have to figure out the best way to do the trip in terms of seasons/who to go with/what to do. I think its a good place for more of a romantic holiday than a lads getaway but they have a lot of activities that would be so much better with my friends (car stuff, skiing, etc.)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 05:33:47 pm »
+8
I absolutely love travelling and would love to explore more countries such as Greece, Egypt and Vietnam. I know that my time as a history fanatic back in high school has definitely influenced my choices.

Greece has so much history and culture that I would love to see for myself in real life. Athens and Sparta are two places in Greece I would definitely love to go to. They have the architecture, the art, the natural landscape etc.

I've been fascinated by Egyptian culture ever since I was little. Would love to see the pyramids, some tombs (but you know what happened to the guys who opened up Tut's tomb so maybe not) and Egyptian art.

I also fascinated by Vietnam's history as well as their culture (loveeee Pho!). Ho Chi Minh city would be an interesting sight to see.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 05:39:12 pm »
+7
I've never been overseas yet and would really love to go to Europe, mainly for the food, culture and history.
My dad's Greek, so I really want to able to go there for the food, culture and beaches.

I'd also like to go to some of the places I studied in history last year: so Pompeii and Herculaneum in Italy, Sparta in Greece, Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, one of the concentration camps in Germany. Actually pretty depressing history, but stuff that I really enjoyed learning about and was interested in.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:42:19 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 05:54:25 pm »
+6
I really want to travel everywhere tbh :P but I would say I've always wanted to go several places in Europe. I have already been to Europe, but not my top 3 places which would be Paris, Rome and London.
- With Paris, I've always wanted to go to France and I've loved France for some reason since I was a kid. And French desserts <3.
- Rome - I absolutely love Italian food and where better  than in Italy? Also, Italy/Rome just seems to have a great culture and history
- London I don't know why, has only been a more recent "love" I guess but partly because the UK is similar to Australia and British accents sound cool?
I should be able to visit these 3 places on my travels this year!  :D
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 06:22:44 pm »
+8
India, Jordan, Turkey, Morocco, Spain, Peru, Guatemala and Croatia. For the South Asian, Middle-eastern and Spanish-Latin American culture. Croatia for the coasts and history. I could look at pictures of these places all day.

Edinburgh, Budapest, Paris and Dublin are definitely enticing though, there's a certain character about those cities.

EDIT: Also Liverpool, so I can watch football.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:27:08 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 06:26:36 pm »
+5
Tbh I don't really mind where I go as long as I go somewhere hahaha. I'm going on a cruise to some Pacific islands at the end of the year though, should be fun! Part of the reason I chose International Studies was the compulsory year-long exchange, and Europe has always been pretty fascinating to me so I'm going there in ~2 years!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 06:32:23 pm »
+9
I'd love to visit France and the UK because part of my roots come from there ;D
I'd also love to go to Serbia as my grandma comes from there!

I'd also like to go back to Sydney (for several reasons), and I've always wanted to go somewhere in South Australia. ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:35:23 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 07:50:57 pm »
+5
I've allowed three choices on the poll, because I recognise that this is a pretty difficult question to answer hahaha.

I think, for me, the two countries that most tickle my whiskers at the moment are South Korea and Scotland (must be something about countries starting with "S" lol).

South Korea I just have a gut feeling I'd really like. I had the same gut feeling with Japan, and that proved accurate. I also have some friends who have been there and have recommended it. Really keen.

As for Scotland, I think some of my desire comes from family ties. Like, I'd love to see where my great great great grandfather or whatever grew up. I feel a bit of a connection to Scotland for that reason.

How about y'all? :)
After my VCE, I'm planning to go to the country I've been wanting to go ever since I started liking kpop, South Korea! I've heard of and seen pictures of the beautiful nature there and the food look and sound great as well! I also want to buy kpop merchandise and albums which are practically non existent here in Melbourne apart from that one store in the CBD and the online stores. South Korea is rich in culture and tradition as well and I would love to immerse myself in it.

Japan is another one I want to go, it's similar to the reasons why I want to go to South Korea - nature, culture, and of course, the food! I've been developing an interest in photography and Japan seems like the perfect place to snap photos!
2017: Further Mathematics
2018: Chinese Second Language | Economics | English Language | Chemistry | Methods
2019: Bachelor of Arts at UniMelb
My VCE Journal [click me!]

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 08:12:33 pm »
+6
I agree with you. After watching so many Kdramas their cultures and traditions seem so interesting. Their history is so fascinating especially the Goreyo time period.

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 08:16:27 pm »
+5
I agree with you. After watching so many Kdramas their cultures and traditions seem so interesting. Their history is so fascinating especially the Goreyo time period.
Haha yep. Watching kdramas are one of my free time activities and it has played a part in making me fascinated by their history and culture. Nice to see another kdrama fan(?) :)
2017: Further Mathematics
2018: Chinese Second Language | Economics | English Language | Chemistry | Methods
2019: Bachelor of Arts at UniMelb
My VCE Journal [click me!]

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 08:18:35 pm »
+5
South Korea and Japan definitely! I am a big fan of their culture (Kpop, anime etc.) but I really wanna try their food. I've watched too many Youtube videos on how amazing their food looks so definitely would like to go there for the food (usually when I travel to my home country I lose weight :/).

However, Europe would be pretty fascinating! I actually wanted to go to the UN Youth Exchange Program in January 2019 but the Europe option was really expensive! Pretty sure the cost was about $7000 touring France, Germany (and other parts of Europe lol) since the theme was the history of democracy. I'd love to go to France, Germany and England just to learn about the history and visit the actual places (kinda like Susie's February-March Europe trip).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 09:51:05 pm »
+10
There are a few places I'd love to go:

-the NT...would love to see what remote Australia is like and would love to visit Uluru
-I'd love to explore more of the UK. London s probably my favourite place in the world, but I've never really been beyond it
-I'd love to explore Spain more too I've been to Madrid and Barcelona, but would be cool to go to the south. I can speak Spanish reasonably well so feel like it's a bit of a waste if I didn't!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 10:31:23 pm »
+6
There are a few places I'd love to go:

-the NT...would love to see what remote Australia is like and would love to visit Uluru
-I'd love to explore more of the UK. London s probably my favourite place in the world, but I've never really been beyond it
-I'd love to explore Spain more too I've been to Madrid and Barcelona, but would be cool to go to the south. I can speak Spanish reasonably well so feel like it's a bit of a waste if I didn't!

the Northern Territory is AWESOME if you like that type of thing (nature/desert drives/exploring small towns/hiking) and it has a lot of character. the small towns are cool and uluru is CRAZY in real life. it is just so ridiculously tall i was not expecting it. you can see it from hundreds of kilometres away. I went when i was younger so maybe my perception of the area is skewed by youthful reminiscence but I would highly recommend an Adelaide to Darwin drive for a really good outback experience and especially if you love hiking or camping. Coober Pedy is in SA but its basically the northern territory and thats another interesting place to visit.