Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:35:25 pm

Author Topic: Rating School Teachers  (Read 2381 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Rating School Teachers
« on: June 18, 2018, 09:37:04 pm »
More school drama ;)

I just read a relatively recent article how students that post on rating websites like Rate My Teachers can be sued.

Personally, I can see both sides: on one hand, it's great for teachers to get feedback anonymously, but on the other hand, online rating systems can lead to cyberbullying or teachers get poorly rated just because and there's no justification for the poor rating. I'd rather let the students evaluate the way the content is taught and the teachers to seriously look over the feedback and try and improve rather than passing the evaluation forms to the Subject Coordinator.

Should students be able to rate teachers?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Rating School Teachers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 09:39:48 pm »
+2
I feel like rating and providing feedback on teachers is fine, but it needs to be moderated and a reason should be required for the rating so that people don't just spam bad ratings for teachers they don't like. Also the way rate my teachers gives scores is kind of weird, e.g. is high textbook use a good thing or a bad thing?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

MAGGOT

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:29:28 am »
+3
I sometimes think rate your teacher is biased and the good reviews are generally based on the teachers personality but the bad reviews are based on their crappy teaching ability. It can create a platform for those who are too scared to tell their parents or higher ups about it. However, individuals should not be sued for using this platform, why, for negative reviews against a teacher? These reviews don't reflect the teacher or the school?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 04:45:53 pm »
+4
I personally hate the idea of websites such as Rate my Teachers. If teachers want feedback, they can do their own anonymous surveys etc. (I do them for my classes and get honest feedback).

Making a website such as that sets a very dangerous ability - for anybody to post a review about a teacher. For example: it could be somebody that is a friend of a student who feels negatively towards a specific teacher. Spambotting the reviews for e.g. - it sounds really petty but this can be done.

I generally get on quite well with my students but I wouldn't value a positive review on a website such as that. It has no credibility.

A controlled environment where the student has to verify who they are is a better approach (no identity is attached to the survey/feedback, just to verify they are actually a student and have been taught by said teacher).

Also.. as students you may not be aware of this, but there is quality control that goes on behind the scenes... for example: if you ever wonder why a teacher comes into your class and just floats around/sits at the back.. it's called peer observation and happens in just about every school. Teachers get feedback from their colleagues to improve practice.

As a last resort.. if you have a serious issue with a teacher that cannot be resolved with them directly... there are ways of addressing it without defaming them online.

Especially at the non-VCE levels, kids will chuck a tantrum over pretty much anything and ive seen cases where things have been posted that don't reflect the teacher's ability etc. whatsoever.. just a spare of the moment rant/comment.... posting without understanding the consequences. Teachers are essentially punching bags for both students and parents (at times) and it's very sad but we cop a ton of crap, often misguided.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:55:01 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 05:21:22 pm »
Do teachers ever check their rate my teacher comments, since alot of them are positive comments

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 05:43:02 pm »
Do teachers ever check their rate my teacher comments, since alot of them are positive comments

Highly doubt it. I think most would care internally (e.g. how they impact their colleagues, their own students) rather than looking at an international website.

I know from my perspective I don't find it credible whatsoever, regardless of the positive comments.

If you want to show a teacher that you're grateful, care, etc... then do that face-to-face, send them an email, do something that will have an impact.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:59:38 pm by Aaron »

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 06:15:16 pm »
+1

Also.. as students you may not be aware of this, but there is quality control that goes on behind the scenes... for example: if you ever wonder why a teacher comes into your class and just floats around/sits at the back.. it's called peer observation and happens in just about every school. Teachers get feedback from their colleagues to improve practice.

I’ve seen this happen. It just appears that most teacher’s magically become super helpful and bubbly when and only when there’s a peer watching. Quite weird sometimes to be honest.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 06:17:49 pm »
I’ve seen this happen. It just appears that most teacher’s magically become super helpful and bubbly when and only when there’s a peer watching. Quite weird sometimes to be honest.
lol from my experience most of the teacher's completely changed their teaching style for that single lesson.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 06:20:17 pm »

Says alot about that teacher then, doesn't it?

I get that teachers do that, but from my own experiences everything gets looked at... from whether the teacher is following the teaching model the school has, how students enter, how students interact in the lesson, what types of activities are used etc. It is much more than just 'can the teacher engage and be bubbly'.

From the student point of view it is very tough to see the amount of scrutiny a teacher gets. While it may not look like much is done, there is (because most is done so behind the scenes). Of course the process isn't perfect and some get through being extremely sub-par, and if that is the case I would encourage you to speak to somebody about it so it can be rectified. If you are genuinely curious, ask your teacher or better yet, become one and see for yourself :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:27:35 pm by Aaron »