Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:52:30 am

Author Topic: Senior Privileges: Who are they?  (Read 7910 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Senior Privileges: Who are they?
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:25:40 pm »
+8
Depending on your school, you may receive some senior privileges in Term 4 (once the current Year 12s have graduated), at the beginning of Year 11 and in most cases, at the start of Year 12. What are senior privileges exactly? Are they really this big thing that everyone makes it out to be? Read this guide and see for yourself ;)

1. Senior uniform (Year 11 and 12)
Most schools provide a new set senior uniform for Year 11 and 12 and other just simply have a senior blazer. If you’re lucky enough, you maybe allowed to wear your senior uniform in Term 4. You’ll find that people take you more seriously once you’re in your new set of uniform.

2. “Exclusive” senior sitting area (Year 11 and 12)
If your school happens to combine junior and senior school, you’ll find that the juniors and seniors have their own sitting areas during recess and lunch time. A huge difference I found was that there were no teachers looking over the senior area. Seems great right? No more teachers. No more annoying juniors. Just a free space for all the seniors.

3. Grabbing lunch outside school grounds (Year 12, depends on the school for Year 11)
Probably the most well known senior privilege- mostly practiced in Year 12. You finally have freedom to buy lunch outside your school! No more buying food from your school’s canteen. Goodbye $4 toasties!

4. Study periods (Year 11 and 12)
Unlike your junior years, the school has finally granted you study periods! Study periods are just essentially free periods where you study, do your homework and catch up on assignments. If you’re lucky, the supervising teacher can help you (bonus points if they’re your actual teacher for one of your subjects) Lesson 1 and last lesson study periods means that you can come in late and leave school early, which I will discuss in my next point.

5. Empty Lesson 1/Last Period (Year 12)
If your school allows it, you may arrive at school late if you have lesson one off- or if you’re lucky, you also have lesson two off. You may also leave school early if you have your last lesson as a study period.

6. Exam periods (Year 11 and 12)
The great thing about being a senior student is that you don’t have to force yourself to go to school on days where you don’t have an exam! You can just simply chill at home- though this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t study for your other exams! Use this flexibility to expand your study schedule.

7. Year 12 Common Room (Year 12)
The good ol’ common room. The place where you can FINALLY heat up your food in a microwave. Chill on the sofas during lunch. And basically have a rave before classes start.

8. Year 12 Jersey (Year 12)
You finally have the option to wear a comfy jersey at school- perfect especially for winter terms! Choose your jersey name wisely.

@Everyone: Feel free to add more senior privileges in this compilation :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
Re: Senior Privileges: Who are they?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 11:47:10 pm »
+4
The privilege of just feeling superior to all the young underage peasants around you ;D ;D ;D
I catch the bus to school and on several mornings year 7s and 8s would see me with my year 12 jumper and just let me cut in the line. (In my defence, I had to do this to the year 12s back in 2013 so I deserve this privilege lol).

7. Year 12 Common Room (Year 12)
The good ol’ common room. The place where you can FINALLY heat up your food in a microwave. Chill on the sofas during lunch. And basically have a rave before classes start.
That awkward moment when you supposedly go to a private school but they don't even give you a year 12 common room so you have to fight with the year 10s for microwaves.
Do some schools out there actually have year 12 common rooms? Year 12s at my school aren't blessed with this privilege.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 07:06:09 am »
+1
My school literally has all of them.

I wish they didn’t exist because it makes year 8s think year 12s are so amazing and so much better, but I don’t think so. I think they should respect us for what we actually do - like if we volunteered for the school or mentored younger students - but instead we’re just entitled to all of them..

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:28:16 am »
+2
The privilege of just feeling superior to all the young underage peasants around you ;D ;D ;D
I catch the bus to school and on several mornings year 7s and 8s would see me with my year 12 jumper and just let me cut in the line. (In my defence, I had to do this to the year 12s back in 2013 so I deserve this privilege lol).
That awkward moment when you supposedly go to a private school but they don't even give you a year 12 common room so you have to fight with the year 10s for microwaves.
Do some schools out there actually have year 12 common rooms? Year 12s at my school aren't blessed with this privilege.
He speaks the truth. Small plebians flee at the sight of a year 12 jumper. The joyful feeling of power is immense.

We have a common room, but the downside is the cleaning. Nobody who's actually on the cleaning roster cleans anything, and that leaves a couple people to clean up everyone else's mess all year 'round, which is very frustrating.

I think year 12 privileges are pretty good. We've gone through 12-13 years of school, maybe more, and as we progress and stress levels rise and maturity levels increase (actually that is debatable) we are given more responsibility for our own learning, but also a stable environment to work and get comfortable in. However, we aren't allowed out of school grounds and have to be at school from start to finish of the day because of the previous year level's reputation for rule-breaking. But overall, senior privileges are there for a reason. Tbh some things can be a little over-the-top, but other things are just fun or normal, and should help us either de-stress, bond with our year level or make us responsible for simple things expected of us later in life. It's something to look forward to. :)

edit: just to pop up in NSW year 10 discussion lol, hey guys
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:30:31 am by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »
I think year 12 privileges are pretty good. We've gone through 12-13 years of school, maybe more, and as we progress and stress levels rise and maturity levels increase ...

edit: just to pop up in NSW year 10 discussion lol, hey guys
Cheers on the last part.

But our privileges only came as a result of the mutiny levels increasing... :)

The time for change is now!
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:47:09 pm »
+2
At my school, Year 12s got to sit up the very back at assembly (hellllloooo, back support!). And Year 11s sat on like, a balcony thing looking over the hall. Really minor things, but they felt very symbolic at the time haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 01:49:50 pm »
At my school, Year 12s got to sit up the very back at assembly (hellllloooo, back support!). And Year 11s sat on like, a balcony thing looking over the hall. Really minor things, but they felt very symbolic at the time haha.
We got the same in year 10... Technically the start of seniors right?

But again, we had to argue our way into it and strike a couple of deals on other stuff to get it... :(
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:57:58 pm »
Did you not already sit on chairs during assembly?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 01:59:43 pm »
+3
Did you not already sit on chairs during assembly?

Nope. Year 7 - 10 on the floor near the front. Year 11 on the balcony. Year 12 right at the back (also on the floor). The only people on chairs came from the "official party" (lol), including some of the senior teachers and student leaders.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 02:12:08 pm »
+1
Nope. Year 7 - 10 on the floor near the front. Year 11 on the balcony. Year 12 right at the back (also on the floor). The only people on chairs came from the "official party" (lol), including some of the senior teachers and student leaders.
Wow, you'd hope the assembly didn't go for too long - some of my school's assemblies went for 90 minutes if they were big official ones. Everyone sat on seats and if you weren't in correct uniform you had to do chair packup at the end haha.

At my school we had the standard senior privileges, but one that stood out was the year 12s could wear a special tie. Usually girls wore maroon ties and boys wore navy with thick yellow and maroon stripes, but the year 12 ties were navy with thin stripes - looked super nice. Was pretty minor but it was just an extra thing that let people know you were in year 12.

Now I'm in uni, all the special privileges we were so protective of (like yelling at anyone who tried to walk through the year 12 common room and pushing them out, sitting at the back of the bus, etc.) seem a little silly and so arbitrary but I remember that they were a huge deal at the time haha

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 02:44:47 pm »
In my HS, only year 12 students were allowed to drive to school (themselves and others).  Students that weren't in Year 12 weren't allowed to drive to school  and all the younger ones got jealous  ;D  ;D

Sidenote: Year 12 students were allowed to drive themselves to and fro school events (school excursions too) :,)

(yes, we were allowed to drive others or let them carpool.. but only after a permission slip was given)  :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:54:27 pm by EEEEEEP »

Caitlynk_22

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +238
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 05:09:31 pm »
We aren't allowed to come to school late if we have a period 1 study! I'd love to but ya know school rules. We're also not allowed to leave school grounds at lunch. We have to sit in roll call classes at assembly which is a PAIN and we sit on the floor but I deal with it.

BUT! We do have a senior line at the canteen which gets increasingly longer every lunch because of all those year 11's who wanna pay by card. I usually go into one of the smaller lines because it's easier! Year 12 art students (Exclusive for art students) also have a art room where we can go to spend frees  and lunch times. We can also heat up food in the microwave and use the kettle to make coffee. No other senior student has this privilege. Yay for the art students!

We also get to sit in the senior study when it's raining or very cold during recess and lunch. The juniors have to sit in the freezing hall. I remember that feeling when I realised we never had to walk all the way to the hall just to eat.

2018 - HSC - My HSC Journal 2018
2019 - Gap Year - Cert 3 @ TAFE My Gap Year Journal
2020 - 2022 B of Design (Architecture) @ UoN My University Journal