Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:57 pm

Author Topic: What is University Extension?  (Read 4717 times)  Share 

suskieanna

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
What is University Extension?
« on: July 30, 2018, 01:48:33 pm »
I am year 11 from John Monash Science School and I had course counselling today and the teacher recommended me to do uni extension. Should I do it? I am doing 3/4 bio this year. And if I choose to do Uni extension how is it like and will it benefit my ATAR score?

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
Re: What is University Extension?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:24:34 pm »
+3
University Extension programs are Higher Education studies that can be undertaken within the VCE.
Depending on where you go, the requirements and engagement level is different. For example, I traveled to the University of Melbourne twice a week for two seminars and one lecture. On the other hand, a friend studied at Deakin through online course delivery.
Most programs allow you to undertake two unit (subjects) at first-year university level.
Given that you're at JMSS, Monash is probably the most viable option for you.
In 2019, you can study:
> Accounting and Finance
> Biology
> Biomedical Science (capped at 10 places)
> Chemistry
> Games development
> Linguistics
> Mathematics
> Physics
> Politics
> Psychology (capped at 20 places)

Needless to say, acceptance into the programs usually require you to have already completed the 3/4 VCE sequence in that discipline or a cognate area. The programs I bolded for you requires prior completion of Biology 3/4. Since these programs are designed to extend students, its most applicable for you to express interest if you enjoy and are good at biology.

In terms of impact to your ATAR, HE studies can contribute to your aggregate as a 5th or 6th subject.
Scores are determined by your averages achieved at university:
> 5.0 where a student averages at least 90
> 4.5 where a student averages at least 80 but less than 90
> 4.0 where a student averages at least 70 but less than 80
> 3.5 where a student averages at least 60 but less than 70
> 3.0 where a student averages at least 50 but less than 60
If you happen to study at Monash, or at the place at which you study your HE units, they may honour the credit points you earned. Therefore, you could do two less subjects in your first year. Other appealing factors might include 'experiencing university' and expanding your social circle etc.

If it sounds like something you're interested in, I'd highly recommend it. I don't have any regrets :)
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?