Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:16:35 am

Author Topic: Re: The Australian Math Competition  (Read 1594 times)  Share 

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: The Australian Math Competition
« on: August 08, 2018, 09:01:16 pm »
Hello all, I am about sit for The Australian Math Competition, and i was wondering if anyone has any tips or strategies on how to tackle the sort questions i am about to face.

Thank you.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Re: The Australian Math Competition
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 09:55:28 pm »
Hello all, I am about sit for The Australian Math Competition, and i was wondering if anyone has any tips or strategies on how to tackle the sort questions i am about to face.

Thank you.
The questions are in increasing difficulty and the last 5 are usually extremely difficult (requires to give a number answer rather than mcq) however on those rare years they are manageable to an extent. Although you can still score really well without those last 5 question (HD which is top 2% for junior -intermediate and top 5% for senior - ) is possible by acing a large proportion of the  mcq questions which are 1-25 even a "prize" award (top 0.3% iirc) is possible if you get nearly all the first 25 correct.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:59:17 pm by Sine »

• Adventurer
Re: The Australian Math Competition
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 12:27:31 am »
Ah okay thank you, are there any types of methods in approaching such difficult problem solving questions? 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:29:29 am by 24221 »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:54:53 pm »
Ah okay thank you, are there any types of methods in approaching such difficult problem solving questions? 
A lot of the questions will have various techniques to be used so I don't think there is much pre-learned strategies you can go in with. The most important aspect would be thinking outside of the box, drawing diagrams, drawing tables and sometimes usually ugly methods (trial and error).

You can always ask your teacher whether they have any past tests.

SChMurpel

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 05:56:44 pm »
A lot of the questions will have various techniques to be used so I don't think there is much pre-learned strategies you can go in with. The most important aspect would be thinking outside of the box, drawing diagrams, drawing tables and sometimes usually ugly methods (trial and error).

You can always ask your teacher whether they have any past tests.
Last 5 - 8 Questions I just had to guess and check xd  :P
2020 - Vietnamese SL (33) / R&S (37)
2021 - English / Chemistry / Methods / Spesh / Biology