Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 07:18:01 pm

Author Topic: School's (nearly) out  (Read 4039 times)  Share 

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
School's (nearly) out
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:22:23 am »
School is ending pretty soon for most year 12s, how is everybody feeling about it?

I've got 3 days left... ...the last 3 days of school life. We've practically spent our whole life in school and I reckon it feels really weird. It's like you're about to cross a vast chasm and are never coming back. There are so many things that 'school' connotes, from lounging in the library to routine activities like attending (or wagging) assembly or joining the tuckshop queue. The many faces of your friends and of people you don't know; many will stay, but many will also go. A bit nostalgic, a bit empty. But maybe that's just institutionalisation talking. I wonder if prisoners at the end of long sentences felt the same way about their prisons. Probably. All I know is these 3 days might be the only normal days left in a while.
As for whatever might come next... university... career... family? It all seems so distant, so far from normal. I'm feeling pretty indifferent about it all right now, but I guess time will reveal more.

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
Re: School's (nearly) out
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:26:13 am »
Remember how we wanted to make memories today by walking (stomping) up the stairs? Imagine we broke them and broke our backs slightly? I reckon we should attempt that tomorrow. :P

lol anyways I can't wait till school finishes!
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

kurrymuncher

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:28:00 am »
:(

No more halo tournaments in IT

xXNovaxX

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 12:31:51 am »
Similar to this thread

http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,17878.msg181825.html#msg181825

But yeah :( So many memories, mainly towards end of highschool. Our teacher is bringing cake for us, and chips, tim tams etc etc :( MEMORIES :'(

Also lol @ tuckshop....we call it canteen :P

To me personally, "family" and "career" sound so near!!!!

Things will also never be the same :( Uni is so much more different to Highschool, personally I think the freedom and lecturers not caring if you don't turn up,
not caring if u dont hand in stuff,
not chasing after absence notes and also
being able to play with ur phone whilst in class will take GETTING USED TO!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 12:39:26 am by xXNovaxX »

xXNovaxX

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:32:15 am »
lol today, my esl teacher said "i have spent 15 years @ schools for education and now i am back @ a school for education" *randoms

TrueLight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:51:42 am »
you'll get used to it after first year
http://www.campaignforliberty.com

Completed Bachelor of Science. Majored in Immunology and Microbiology.

“Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell, 1984.

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
Adolf Hitler

“The bigger the lie, the more inclined people will be to believe it”
Adolf Hitler

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:58:59 am »
I don't miss school. Uni is a million times better :)
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

hellomoto

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 02:02:40 am »
School is ending pretty soon for most year 12s, how is everybody feeling about it?

I've got 3 days left... ...the last 3 days of school life. We've practically spent our whole life in school and I reckon it feels really weird. It's like you're about to cross a vast chasm and are never coming back. There are so many things that 'school' connotes, from lounging in the library to routine activities like attending (or wagging) assembly or joining the tuckshop queue. The many faces of your friends and of people you don't know; many will stay, but many will also go. A bit nostalgic, a bit empty. But maybe that's just institutionalisation talking. I wonder if prisoners at the end of long sentences felt the same way about their prisons. Probably. All I know is these 3 days might be the only normal days left in a while.
As for whatever might come next... university... career... family? It all seems so distant, so far from normal. I'm feeling pretty indifferent about it all right now, but I guess time will reveal more.
mate, I can imagine you having a big sook whilst typing this haha. emotional stuff

doboman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 02:09:46 am »
I don't miss school. Uni is a million times better :)
What you can rememer of Uni, that is ;P. Most of the time it's pretty full-on drinking going on. /0 everybody feels like that when they finish year 12, and it's valid because you're pretty much entering uncertainty. But, rest assured, Uni will become your next "normal"- and you'll feel a whole lot worse leaving that at the end of your degree.

@moto. I could imagine you having a big sook whilst typing your reply aswell, haha. emotional stuff.
"Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths"

hellomoto

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 02:11:07 am »
emotional stuff.
haha, not really mate. Don't see anything emotional about my statement

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 11:09:59 am »
mate, I can imagine you having a big sook whilst typing this haha. emotional stuff

Gosh you're so manly.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 12:27:17 pm »
I've just finished school.  Today was "celebration day".  Right now, I've got mixed feelings, with excitement and anxiety at the same time.  The thought of entering into the realm of uncertainty is just a bit too much to take in at the moment.

It's not the end of finishing primary school where pretty much everything is mapped out for you - the high school you're going to and the routines you'll have to get used to for the next 6 years.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

xXNovaxX

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 03:57:59 pm »
I've just finished school.  Today was "celebration day".  Right now, I've got mixed feelings, with excitement and anxiety at the same time.  The thought of entering into the realm of uncertainty is just a bit too much to take in at the moment.

It's not the end of finishing primary school where pretty much everything is mapped out for you - the high school you're going to and the routines you'll have to get used to for the next 6 years.
Wise words my friend, wise words. I especially liked your final paragraph/lines.

dejan91

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Without risk, there is no adventure.
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 12:39:58 am »

Wise words my friend, wise words. I especially liked your final paragraph/lines.

I think it's made worse by the fact that we're all pretty much adults now. We're fully capable of making our own decisions and as such are fully responsible for whatever consequences come as a result of these decisions. That's scary. It was different in high school because you knew what was coming in the near future and you knew what your actions would lead you to. There was always someone to protect you. Now were entering the hypocrisy and uncertainty of the real world where we have to face more than just our own problems... Slightly off-topic, but I just can't stand sitting on the train surrounded by adults who simply stand there without saying a word to each other. The stiffness of adult society just kills me. It's like people are scared of confronting each other, like there's a rule that forbids people talking in trains and elevators and what not. It's depressing and I don't want to become someone like that, and by finishing high school I feel like I'm taking a step closer towards this.

Right now everything is so surreal.
When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 12:48:59 am »
Nice realisation dejan91. I never realised this when I finished year 12, and so I just coasted along in university until recently I started to stop floating along with the 'common path' and decided to start involving myself in more things and discovering the world for myself.