Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:27:01 pm

Author Topic: Should people be judged for what they said 7 years ago, if they have changed?  (Read 1957 times)  Share 

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
In the age of social media, the Internet and so forth, there seems to be this thing where people dig up your past and say… “YOU SAID SOMETHING OR DID SOMETHING BAD YEARS AGO, you don’t deserve this job/position”.

*In no way, do I defend these thoughts or tweets, but i defend the right for someone to improve, change and to better themselves*. In recent times, many high profile people have been victims of their own mouths in the past.

Some example of this are:

Laura Lee
-   Some racist tweet that isn’t allowed on AN….  – 2012
(Brand was not launched)

James Gunn
-   ‘Offensive’ Old Tweets Joking About Rape, Pedophilia”
(Lost his job)

Sarah Jeong:
-   #CancelWhitePeople
-   No one cares about White people
(she majorly got grilled and had to do a major apology)

Justin Trudeau
-   “If I had known you were reporting for a national paper….”
(Got called out on his hypocrisy, as he told parliament members to stand down if they had done an indecent act”

Other examples
Other examples
Josh Hader
-   racist and homophobic tweets dating from 2011 and 2012.
(Lost opportunities)

Sean Newk
-   Jeff, you’re still a *** - 2011
(Kept job, but majorly criticised)

… IN many of these cases, these tweets were 5 or 6 years ago!

Yes, these people are representatives of a sport or another major element of society, but representatives are not perfect. Also context matters. Years ago, times were a lot different, people did not take so many things into consideration or “politically correct”.  The political climate was totally different (not saying that it’s a free pass).

Sure, if what they say now is like what they say in the past, then fine.. grill away!! But surely, people should not be grilled for what they did 10 or 6 years ago, if they don’t act in the same manner?

Think about yourself? Are there possibly any tweets or things that you said 7 years ago that you could have regretted?

Q.
Should statements from 6 or 7 years ago apply to that person today? Should we only dig up say, only the past 2 or 3 years of social media history as a judge of character?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:01:34 pm by EEEEEEP »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
If they admit that what they've said is wrong and have learnt from it, then I don't think it's fair to hold it against them.

7 years ago I was only 16 - alot of things have changed for me. 7 years is a long time and ample time to make positive change. I actually think A LOT of my maturing has been done over the past few years (last 2-3, let's say).
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
  • i always have too many tabs open
  • Respect: +18
Those statements were just as public on social media back then as they are now. The only reason they are 'politically incorrect' now is due to a societal shift, and if tens of thousands of these people can change their belief on right and wrong, I don't see how a single person changing their views over years is any different. So, in short, statements from many years ago should not apply to the person.
HSC 2018: Chemistry | English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | SOR2

UNI 2019: Bachelor of Science @ ANU

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
I think that if it was 7 years ago and wasn't recently then people can change and someone shouldn't be judged on things they have said or done in the past but judged on who they are in the now.

We are otherwise going to have a whole generation (us) struggling to get a good job because of some stupid thing we have said on the internet when we were 12, like seriously. (I am exaggerating a bit there)

Sidenote: for all the guardians of the galaxy fans, there are reliable rumours that Gunn will be reinstated as the director for guardians 3 after the Fox/Disney merge is complete. Part of the reason they fired him was because they needed a clean slate to get the Fox acquisition complete.
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
We are otherwise going to have a whole generation (us) struggling to get a good job because of some stupid thing we have said on the internet when we were 12, like seriously. (I am exaggerating a bit there)
I understand your position, I don't think that comparison, with a 12 year old is good. I don't think most people are mature when they're 12.

Ahh.. people aren't picking quotes from 12 year olds though! They are picking  quotes from when people are in the late 10s to older. 

I don't see how a single person changing their views over years is any different. So, in short, statements from many years ago should not apply to the person.
How late is too late for the past to be a judge of a persons character? A person's tweet must have some significance. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:24:51 pm by EEEEEEP »

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
No. I come to the conclusion that one of the key markers of life is change. While you're alive, you are able to change.

However, there may be consequences from past actions and words, and they may reveal patterns (some changes are harder than others).  Being able to change does not remove all responsibility for past words. You may need to apologise, and you may need to explain what has changed and why. And some people may not hear your apology, and some people may not feel able to trust it.  You may have irreversably hurt people.  Life's messy that way.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman