Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 02:24:35 am

Author Topic: Unseen Texts Marking  (Read 348 times)

isabellapaparo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Unseen Texts Marking
« on: October 06, 2018, 03:59:48 pm »
Hello, this is the unseen texts from the ATAR notes Area of Study 2017. Am i on the right track?

Q1: How are opposites used in the poem to portray the process and outcome of discoveries? (2 marks)
Opposites are used in the poem to portray the process and outcome of discoveries through the use of metaphors. An example of this is when the author compares planting your own garden as opposed to waiting for someone to bring you flowers. This is to represent that you must discover the process of creating your own memories in order for the outcome of living a fulfilled life to occur instead of waiting for someone to discover the outcome for you.

Q2: Explain how the text and the image complement each other in a representation of the woman's discovery about perspective (3 marks)
One way that the text and image complement each other in a representation of the woman's discovery about perspective is the use of bright colours around the woman as she is sitting down, enjoying the scenery of New York. Meanwhile she mentions her discovery about perspective by stating that she lives in a "wonderful city" and losing her job was losing "a small piece of the pie" as a metaphor that losing her job was only a small aspect of her life that she lost, that there more to be enjoyed in life.

Q3: How does the article describe the importance describe the importance of experience as a catalyst for discovery? (4 marks).
One way that the article describes the importance of experiences as a catalyst for discovery is through the use of first person as the person who describes themselves as shy is determined to discover experiences as a catalyst to discover profound connections with other which leads to self-discovering their self-confidence, "I was hoping you could give me an idea of where to start my trip...so I could build up my confidence". Additionally, this suggests that the person is aware that experiences are vital for discovery. Another way that the article emphasises this idea is by displaying the text that suggests the experience in bold and complimenting it with the outcome of discovery from the experience (e.g. Take classes...will connect with people that share your interests).

Q4: Explain how the notion of journeys being an integral element of discovery is represented in TWO texts of your choosing. (6 marks)
Text One (poem) represents how the notion of journeys being an integral element of discovery through the use of metaphors. For instance, the text mentions that you "plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers". This is to symbolise that in order to self-discover a fulfilled life, you need to to embrace the journey of discovering it as opposed to waiting for someone to discover it for you. Another way that the poem does this through the use of juxtaposition. For example, the author mentions to keep "your head up and eyes ahead with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child". The author juxtaposes between a woman and a child to indicate that for a fulfilled life to be discovered, a journey must be approached, that it must be approached in a strong and mature manner as opposed to a grieving and immature manner.

Similarly, Text three (article) also represents how the notion of journeys is an integral element of discovery. One way that the text symbolises this is through the use of first person, as the person who describes themselves as shy is determined to self-discover self-confidence by making the journey to travel overseas and discover connections with people. This suggests that he is aware that a journey must be made in order to make this discovery, making journeys an integral element of discovery, "I was hoping you could give me an idea of where to start my trip...so I could build up my confidence". Another way that this idea is exemplified is through displaying the journey in bold and complementing it with the discovery that it the result of the journey (e.g. the journey of taking classes that is displayed in bold will be the result of discovering the connection with people that share the same interests). Overall, the journey being displayed in bold emphasises the idea that the journey is a vital element of discovery.