Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:26:22 pm

Author Topic: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread  (Read 84603 times)  Share 

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
Re: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2018, 11:21:13 am »
+1
on beauty blenders -- I used to use them but then didn't want to pay $30 for the 'real' one at sephora for another I'd have to throw away in a couple of months so I just started using my (clean) hands and tbh I get a similar if not better finish
and also they tend to soak up a lot of product :( but they do prevent streaks and over-applying if that's a concern

Yo, I use a $3 sponge from Kmart and it works wonders man

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 09:14:43 pm »
+6
Hey fam, bit of an odd question but I always get dry cracked skin on my fingers near the nails, which is occasionally painful- what should I do?

I sometimes use the Burt's Bees Cuticle Cream since it is specifically for the skin near the nails and oml the cream really does moisturise yo cuticles!! (and it smells like lemon as well which is nice!)

Yo, I use a $3 sponge from Kmart and it works wonders man

Which Kmart sponge do you use? I know there's so many of them but which style? The Kmart sponges don't work for me for some reason and it makes me a lil sad because I would spend money on the Real Techniques sponge from Priceline and that costs like $17 :( The $3 sponge can save me a lot of $$
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 03:13:57 pm »
Has anyone ever tried the OXX brand from Kmart?

It looks like it could be a good quality brand (and cheap too) but I'm not sure how good it is.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 03:38:23 pm »
+4
Which Kmart sponge do you use? I know there's so many of them but which style? The Kmart sponges don't work for me for some reason and it makes me a lil sad because I would spend money on the Real Techniques sponge from Priceline and that costs like $17 :( The $3 sponge can save me a lot of $$
Hey, I use the pink classic shaped one that looks like the og beauty blender (dont know how else to explain lmao plus im due to buy a new one soon so i cant remember its proper product name)

It looks like it could be a good quality brand (and cheap too) but I'm not sure how good it is.

I've tried some of their stuff and it's not the best
Would not recommend, plus kmart sells elf which is usually the same price for much better makeup (i trust my $3 elf eyelash curler with my life)

Mathematics 84

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 12:40:07 pm »
I've tried it... not as good as it looks, as holky said, wouldn't recommend it!
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2018, 02:15:32 pm »
Hey guys,
So I can feel my mascara and eyeliner running out (it's slowly getting dry -_-). Any drugstore and eyeliner recommendations?

A lot of beauty gurus rave about L'oreal Lash Paradise but supposedly it's a dupe for Too Faced Better Than Sex, which I've heard is very clumpy and flakey.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2018, 02:20:42 pm »
+3
Hey guys,
So I can feel my mascara and eyeliner running out (it's slowly getting dry -_-). Any drugstore and eyeliner recommendations?

The covergirl lashperfection mascara has served me well for several years. Would recommend!

Though I'm no makeup expert - I rarely use mascara, and have never actually successfully applied eyeliner.  ;D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2018, 02:50:20 pm »
+5
Hey guys,

A lot of beauty gurus rave about L'oreal Lash Paradise but supposedly it's a dupe for Too Faced Better Than Sex, which I've heard is very clumpy and flakey.
Hey, I use a revlon mascara I got for free from my aunt who works there and the purple one is the bomb, mg eyelashes are always looking superb thanks to it (i think the purple lid is the definition one, but yeah go check revlon mascara out)

Mathematics 84

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2018, 05:58:58 pm »
Hey guys,
I recently bought a waterproof mascara but I'm also having trouble taking it off using the Garnier Micellar Water. At the moment I'm trying the Neutrogena eye makeup remover. Although it does remove my mascara, it's also very oily despite the claim on the packaging saying it's "oil-free." Any other makeup removers that can easily take off waterproof mascara?

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2018, 06:09:30 pm »
+3
Hey guys,
I recently bought a waterproof mascara but I'm also having trouble taking it off using the Garnier Micellar Water. At the moment I'm trying the Neutrogena eye makeup remover. Although it does remove my mascara, it's also very oily despite the claim on the packaging saying it's "oil-free." Any other makeup removers that can easily take off waterproof mascara?

Usually a lot of the oil based removers are the most effective at removing waterproof makeup. But if you are looking for one without oil try the 'Garnier Makeup Remover Sensitive 2 in 1 Waterproof'. It works wonders for me!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 12:10:58 pm »
Hey guys,
I just bought a Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink lip colour/liquid lipstick (?) and I'm finding that it takes so long to dry and it's a bit sticky once it's dry. Is this normal? Are there any other liquid lipsticks that are comfortable to wear and don't crumble?

holky

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 12:22:02 pm »
+3
Hey guys,
I just bought a Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink lip colour/liquid lipstick (?) and I'm finding that it takes so long to dry and it's a bit sticky once it's dry. Is this normal? Are there any other liquid lipsticks that are comfortable to wear and don't crumble?
Hey, you should try the NYX liquid lipsticks, I've never really had a problem with then
Also, you can try setting the lips with translucent setting powder to dry it, I've found that works for me

Mathematics 84

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 01:02:46 pm »
Hey, you should try the NYX liquid lipsticks, I've never really had a problem with then
Also, you can try setting the lips with translucent setting powder to dry it, I've found that works for me
I've tried the Nyx Lip Lingerie and it was really drying -_-

Was it the Lip Lingerie or the Suede Cream/Lip Cream?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 01:11:56 pm »
+3
Hey guys,

I absolutely adore the Maybelline Superstay Matte in liquid lipstick! Though yes it does take a lil while to dry down and once it's dried down- it does not come off !! Even when you eat greasy food- it's still there!! It's quite sticky when it's dried down, you kinda get used to it though!

Other liquid lipstick recommendations-
* Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipstick
* Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Lip Colour
* Kylie Cosmetics (a bit of a pain to buy but I don't mind the formula at all?)
* NYX Liquid Suede (Cream)- these are comfortable to wear but transfers quite significantly compared to other liquid lipsticks !
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 04:07:13 pm »
+1
I absolutely adore the Maybelline Superstay Matte in liquid lipstick! Though yes it does take a lil while to dry down and once it's dried down- it does not come off !! Even when you eat greasy food- it's still there!! It's quite sticky when it's dried down, you kinda get used to it though!
I will give it to Maybelline that the Superstay Matte Ink lasts really long (I was too lazy to take it off before showering and it managed to stay on when I showered). However, I did have to use an oil-based remover to properly take it off, which just leaves a nasty greasy feel around my mouth.

I am also using the Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid- which is more of a satin finish rather than matte- and it's quite comfortable but the smell is really overpowering. It smells like perfume and doesn't go away when I apply it on my lips so I'm constantly smelling really flowery perfume (which is disgusting).

Other liquid lipstick recommendations-
* Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipstick
* Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Lip Colour
* Kylie Cosmetics (a bit of a pain to buy but I don't mind the formula at all?)
* NYX Liquid Suede (Cream)- these are comfortable to wear but transfers quite significantly compared to other liquid lipsticks !
I'm not sure if I could get my hands on Kylie Cosmetics but I'll have a go at the Rimmel Stay Matte. When I was playing with the Smashbox Liquid Lipsticks at Mecca, the colours were a bit too deep for my liking (I'm more into the pinky-nude colours. I'm not even sure if they match my skin tone lmao).