Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:07:30 am

Author Topic: Diploma of Music Industry Interview  (Read 5004 times)  Share 

Snapdragon

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Diploma of Music Industry Interview
« on: October 30, 2018, 01:30:46 pm »
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone here has sat the intake interview for the RMIT Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production).

I have been invited to sit an interview in a couple of weeks' time and I couldn't find any information about what is involved. I'm wondering what sorts of questions are asked and how one should prepare.

Thanks

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Diploma of Music Industry Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:12:22 pm »
+8
I don't think many people on AN would've done this interview... but I did do an interview for architecture at Monash and I've done plenty of job interviews to sort of give very vague, general advice which may help you nonetheless.

Preparation before the interview
Read the interview offer notice very carefully. Consider the following:
Spoiler
Does it say it'll be a formal affair or an informal shindig? This'll affect the clothes you'll wear. Of course, formal - wear good business attire; informal - wear smart casual (e.g. don't rock up in your favourite ripped jeans).
Does it say to be there 15 minutes early or nothing about time except the exact interview time? I'd always be cautious and be around the vicinity at least 10-15 minutes early regardless. Best to leave a good first impression. 
How far away is it from you? Will you have to allocate extra time to be there? What can you do nearby if you arrive too early? This is especially painful if you'll be taking PT and it doesn't come often. Personally, I'd allocate myself to be ready by the second last ride and try to take that. If in any case that something happens to that second last bus/ whatever (touch wood that this doesn't happen), then at least you have the last one to get there by. I go against this rule if said interview is early in the morning and ensure I have a ride ready to go well before the interview. 
If you're one who feels it necessary, will you wear make up and if so, what look? If not, what hairstyle (facial and/or on scalp) do you want to go with and what types of skin care do you need to do beforehand? How long will this all take? You know your skin care and morning routines better than anyone, so you'll know if you take an hour or 5 minutes to get ready. Hair, skin, make up and general hygiene will need to have allocated time. Be realistic.   
Have you researched RMIT and their Music Industry course briefly? You should know at least RMIT's values vaguely, what the Music Industry's course map looks like and probably what the course will entail. You don't need to know much about this, but at least do your 15 mins of research and figure out the gist of each of these. Anything you can't find online can be asked at the end of the interview.

During the interview
Questions that are likely to pop up include:
Spoiler
What's your motivations for doing this course?
What sorts of experiences have you had in the area? It's completely okay to not have much related. Just say that your hobbies have included X, Y and Z activities related to it.
What do you know about RMIT or the course already? This is usually more of a job interview question and unlikely to come up but do a little research in case.
What would you like to learn in Music Industry?
What sort of career aspirations do you have? Make this related to the course, even if it's vague.
And it usually ends with: Do you have any questions for us? (I get this one all the time.) Best answer for this situation is anything you're curious about. Do students usually come to campus on weekends? What sort of ATAR range do successful students have? What sorts of programs or scholarships does RMIT offer? How many hours do students usually work part time while doing this course/ Can I work part time during this course? What do graduates in Music Industry usually do after their courses? All very valid questions to ask.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:21:54 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 02:44:28 pm »
I don't think many people on AN would've done this interview... but I did do an interview for architecture at Monash and I've done plenty of job interviews to sort of give very vague, general advice which may help you nonetheless.

Preparation before the interview
Read the interview offer notice very carefully. Consider the following:
Spoiler
Does it say it'll be a formal affair or an informal shindig? This'll affect the clothes you'll wear. Of course, formal - wear good business attire; informal - wear smart casual (e.g. don't rock up in your favourite ripped jeans).
Does it say to be there 15 minutes early or nothing about time except the exact interview time? I'd always be cautious and be around the vicinity at least 10-15 minutes early regardless. Best to leave a good first impression. 
How far away is it from you? Will you have to allocate extra time to be there? What can you do nearby if you arrive too early? This is especially painful if you'll be taking PT and it doesn't come often. Personally, I'd allocate myself to be ready by the second last ride and try to take that. If in any case that something happens to that second last bus/ whatever (touch wood that this doesn't happen), then at least you have the last one to get there by. I go against this rule if said interview is early in the morning and ensure I have a ride ready to go well before the interview. 
If you're one who feels it necessary, will you wear make up and if so, what look? If not, what hairstyle (facial and/or on scalp) do you want to go with and what types of skin care do you need to do beforehand? How long will this all take? You know your skin care and morning routines better than anyone, so you'll know if you take an hour or 5 minutes to get ready. Hair, skin, make up and general hygiene will need to have allocated time. Be realistic.   
Have you researched RMIT and their Music Industry course briefly? You should know at least RMIT's values vaguely, what the Music Industry's course map looks like and probably what the course will entail. You don't need to know much about this, but at least do your 15 mins of research and figure out the gist of each of these. Anything you can't find online can be asked at the end of the interview.

During the interview
Questions that are likely to pop up include:
Spoiler
What's your motivations for doing this course?
What sorts of experiences have you had in the area? It's completely okay to not have much related. Just say that your hobbies have included X, Y and Z activities related to it.
What do you know about RMIT or the course already? This is usually more of a job interview question and unlikely to come up but do a little research in case.
What would you like to learn in Music Industry?
What sort of career aspirations do you have? Make this related to the course, even if it's vague.
And it usually ends with: Do you have any questions for us? (I get this one all the time.) Best answer for this situation is anything you're curious about. Do students usually come to campus on weekends? What sort of ATAR range do successful students have? What sorts of programs or scholarships does RMIT offer? How many hours do students usually work part time while doing this course/ Can I work part time during this course? What do graduates in Music Industry usually do after their courses? All very valid questions to ask.

Hope that helps.

Thank you AngelWings

I was about to ask the same thing about the Diploma of Live Production at RMIT. I would assume the same advice would apply.
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:26:34 pm »
+1
Thank you AngelWings

I was about to ask the same thing about the Diploma of Live Production at RMIT. I would assume the same advice would apply.
Yeah, this was general advice, so you can definitely use it for any other similar interview. Just change the course names and it'll be pretty much the same for almost any non-portfolio/ selection task interview. Portfolio/ Selection task-based interviews (such as the one I did for architecture) would, as you can probably infer, have additional questions regarding your portfolio/ selection task and motivations behind that. This is probably less applicable for those interested in the performing arts e.g. theatre/ drama, music performance, etc..
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 12:26:21 pm »
+3
An update and some advice.

So I had this interview this morning and the interviewer said I was the best applicant so far and I am guaranteed a place.

He was just trying to gauge my interest in the field (live production) and also tested my problem solving skills with a few puzzles. I don’t think the puzzles would apply to the sound production.

I think what really helped me was because I was trying to act as confident as possible and kept asking him any question, no matter how stupid, about specifics about the course and the content covered.

Just be prepared to show you have an interest in the field, even if you have little knowledge and just be ready to tak a lot.

He also asked me how much I knew about the course, so look at all the ins out outs and the outlines of what is in the course beforehand.
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney