Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:35:05 am

Author Topic: Share Market  (Read 5788 times)  Share 

Aqwoi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Share Market
« on: December 13, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »
Hello,
My friend wanted to know if the Bachelor of Commerce helps with learning about the share market. She says she wants to trade stocks as a career.  :o

Thanks

Chelsea f.c.

• Trendsetter
Re: Share Market
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »
+2
investments in a finance major does... but i was told this story by a friend where the first year finance lecturer was asked when do we learn to make money (serious money i'd say they were suggesting)... and the lecturer told them if i knew that i wouldn't be here =)

btw on a more serious note i would research a bit harder where a commerce degree would be on the right track but trading stocks is not really a career in as such... you can be a fund manager or a trader so maybe research those =)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:10:34 pm by Chelsea f.c. »
Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) Finance - UoM - 2019
Bachelor of Commerce - Economics and Finance - UoM - 2015 - 2018
Diploma in Mathematical Sciences - Statistics and Stochastic Processes - UoM - 2015 - 2018

simonhu81292

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 06:45:57 pm »
+1
Hey!!! I sent you a PM :) check please.
2009: -.- bio 3/4
2010: -.- Physics . Spesh . Methods CAS . Chinese SL Advanced . Chemistry . English Language

2011-B.Com@UoM
2014 - Hons in Finance@UoM
2015 - Working in Funds Management (Equities)

Aqwoi

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 06:49:22 pm »
investments in a finance major does... but i was told this story by a friend where the first year finance lecturer was asked when do we learn to make money (serious money i'd say they were suggesting)... and the lecturer told them if i knew that i wouldn't be here =)

btw on a more serious note i would research a bit harder where a commerce degree would be on the right track but trading stocks is not really a career in as such... you can be a fund manager or a trader so maybe research those =)

Thanks for your input.
I think the specific career was a stockbroker? (Not sure.)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 07:33:43 pm »
Hey!!! I sent you a PM :) check please.

Hey would be awesome if you could share your advice here in case anyone else is interested!! :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Chelsea f.c.

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:53:59 pm »
I would be interested too as planning on doing honours in finance next year =)

Basically a stockbroker would be someone you go to as an individual to buy and sell stocks on your behalf btw fyi... maybe also still look into funds management and trading as their kind of the more high paced careers =)

As well a commerce degree would set you up for stockbroking and many other careers... But it's up to you to get the job!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:10:47 pm by Chelsea f.c. »
Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) Finance - UoM - 2019
Bachelor of Commerce - Economics and Finance - UoM - 2015 - 2018
Diploma in Mathematical Sciences - Statistics and Stochastic Processes - UoM - 2015 - 2018

simonhu81292

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 08:16:31 pm »
+1
Hey would be awesome if you could share your advice here in case anyone else is interested!! :)

Sure! Just feels super old and time flies ....
but here it is,
Coming from someone who graduated BCom and Honours in Finance here I would say BCom will not teach you how to trade. It might only give you ideas and the fundamentals. However it is a stepping stone to become a trader. Bear in mind that becoming a trader is a competitive field and only the top graduates end up going to the good ones! I work in Funds management and it is different to trading. Thank you!
Feel free if you guys have any questions :)
2010: -.- Physics . Spesh . Methods CAS . Chinese SL Advanced . Chemistry . English Language

2011-B.Com@UoM

simonhu81292

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 08:25:09 pm »
Stockbroking - yes it's pretty much the market maker by buying and selling shares for clients (funds management). These days they do more, marketing and arranging meetings between clients and listed companies. Also called institutional sales.
Funds Management - managing other people's money through investing in different classes, shares, bonds, global equities, properties and so on.
Usually have a defined long term strategy.
To get in these field people usually join the banks as equity analyst (sell side) which provides research on listed companies to the funds (buy side)
Traders - Not many around these days, especially in the banks. Only few successful ones. They go for big returns in a short amount of time and form their own trading strategies.

2011-B.Com@UoM