Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:30:36 am

Author Topic: QCE English Questions Thread  (Read 34156 times)

justsomerandom21

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: QCE English Questions Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2022, 02:35:58 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
justsomerandom21 here again. Any advice on IA1 thesis? I'm doing Blade Runner (Theatrical Cut) and Fahrenheit 451. My concept is the nature of humanity but I'm unsure of how to write a good thesis.

Thanks.

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2022, 09:43:25 pm »
+5
Hey guys,
justsomerandom21 here again. Any advice on IA1 thesis? I'm doing Blade Runner (Theatrical Cut) and Fahrenheit 451. My concept is the nature of humanity but I'm unsure of how to write a good thesis.

Thanks.

Hi Justsomerandom21,

Sometimes, it's best breaking the whole concept of "humanity" down to what it means to you, before you think about how the theme is shaped in the text and film that you're studying. Here's what I would recommend doing to prepare for your IA1:

1. Create a list of similarities and differences between how the theme of "humanity" is shaped in both Bladerunner and Fahrenheit 451. It may also be useful to create a broader list of the similarities and differences between the texts in general.
2. Create a mind map to answer the question: "what does humanity mean to me?" and "what makes us human?" and make sure you list specific examples in your brainstorm (such as compassion and empathy) as well. Try to link these examples to the texts. 
3. While your texts may seem wildly different at a first glance, think about the circumstances that the characters live in and how their "humanity" helps them to not only help other people but also help themselves to survive in the society they live in.
4. In Bladerunner, some of the characters are "replicants" (artificial intelligence). A great example of this is the character Rachael who doesn't even know that she's a replicant: she believes that she is human - but why is that?
5. You could also explore and compare the characters of Captain Beatty (Fahrenheit 451) to Roy Batty (Bladerunner). In the eyes of society, both are perceived to be the villains or the antagonists of texts, but in reality, they are much more complex and nuanced than what they are thought to be.

Hopefully that helps - If you need any more help, feel free to message me as I would be more than happy to help!

Have fun with your IA1 :)
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

jinx_58

• Trendsetter
  • "I am not afraid to walk this world alone" - MCR
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2022, 08:17:06 pm »
Howdy!

So, I'm about to do my literary essay on Fahrenheit 451 and Blade Runner 2049.

Last time I did a literary essay, it was quite trash.

Could someone please tell me how to do a literary essay? How should I structure it? What are the teachers looking for? Any general tips?

Thank you!
 - jinx_58
Class of 2022!
Currently doing Unit 4: QCE
Physics || Chemistry ||Methods || General English || Ancient History || Religion & Ethics
My Year 12 QCE Journal!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2022, 09:10:56 am »
+5
Howdy!

So, I'm about to do my literary essay on Fahrenheit 451 and Blade Runner 2049.

Last time I did a literary essay, it was quite trash.

Could someone please tell me how to do a literary essay? How should I structure it? What are the teachers looking for? Any general tips?

Thank you!
 - jinx_58

Hey Jinx_58,

When I did this task in English I had to write a feature article comparing Macbeth and Blade Runner - so, feature articles are slightly different to essays but there are some key details that you will find in both.

Generally, for these comparative tasks in English, we are interested in asking a certain question or trying to comment on a particular point/idea, and in doing so compare the concepts (relating to the question or point of interest) presented in two distinct texts. In particular, this task is assessing your ability to analyse, interpret, and examine these concepts.

So a good place to start is by familiarising yourself with the texts and then coming up with some idea that you find interesting that both texts comment on. They might not take the same position on this idea and that is entirely ok - if the texts were produced at different times you could simply state that this is a product of the different cultural norms of the time (or something like that). Then once you have this interesting idea that you want to write about, you need to come up with a strong thesis statement. After coming up with your thesis statement, you will want to sign-post your arguments (each section of your essay should have a purpose, so these "sign-posts" in your intro will roughly map to one per paragraph).

How to structure
1. Intro: should include a couple sentences introducing the idea and the texts, your thesis statement, and sign posted arguments.
2. Argument 1: should include evidence for the position of each text - link your argument back to the thesis
3. Argument 2: should include evidence for the position of each text - link your argument back to the thesis
4. Argument 3: should include evidence for the position of each text - link your argument back to the thesis
5. Discussion: this is an overall evaluation of all the evidence you have found
6. Conclusion: basic conclusion, link to thesis

What are teacher's looking for?
This is where the ISMG will become your best friend. It tells you exactly what you need to include to get top marks. However, some key details are:
  • You must analyse the representation of a concept, identity, time, or place that is shared between texts
  • You must reference the personal, cultural, historical, social, or contemporary significance of these representations
  • You must talk about how the authors positions readers to think/feel about the concept/identity/time/place
  • You must add to the conversation about these representations (i.e., come up with new ideas or combine ideas)

General tips
Don't forget to mention aesthetic devices (I would say around 2-3 times per paragraph) and make sure every argument you make links back to the thesis (this is how you show that your arguments are "discerning" - which is necessary for top marks).

I hope this helps!
Katelyn
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

jinx_58

• Trendsetter
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2022, 01:58:18 pm »
+1
Thank you sooo much K.Smithy!

That really helps!

- jinx_58
Class of 2022!
Physics || Chemistry ||Methods || General English || Ancient History || Religion & Ethics
My Year 12 QCE Journal!

justsomerandom21

• Adventurer
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2022, 01:05:04 pm »
+1
Thanks so much for the help. Does anyone have any advice for my IA3? It's a short story based on a poem. I'm not that creative and struggle to write in a 'different, unforeseen perspective' that they want.

Thanks,
justsomerandom21

jinx_58

• Trendsetter
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2022, 02:40:37 pm »
+2
Read books. Not the whole book, but enough snippets to understand how different authors write, and hopefully you gain inspiration from that.

For me, I like focusing on an emotion in a poem, and honing on it and expanding on it.

My english teacher tells me the weirder the short, story the better; just don't write a cheesy love story.

Hope this helps!
 - jinx_58
Class of 2022!
My Year 12 QCE Journal!

justsomerandom21

• Adventurer
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2022, 12:42:47 pm »
Hey Jinx,
I'm struggling to make a good plot - do you have any advice?

Thanks,
Justsomerandom21

jinx_58

• Trendsetter
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2022, 07:01:51 pm »
Hello Justsomerandom123.

What is your story so far? What poem is it based off? What is the poem about?

- jinx_58
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 10:30:50 am by jinx_58 »
Class of 2022!
My Year 12 QCE Journal!