Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:44:18 am

Author Topic: QCE Psychology Questions Thread  (Read 11156 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
QCE Psychology Questions Thread
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:19:37 pm »
+7
QCE PSYCHOLOGY Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the QCE Psychology course (both Units 1&2 and 3&4) or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, so you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
Re: QCE Psychology Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 04:51:43 pm »
+1
Hiya,

Just doing some study for my upcoming Unit 1 and 2 Psych exam and came across two questions I don't quite know how to answer... Any help would be appreciated ;D  (most preferred would be to answer the question XD)

1)  Describe the mind-versus-body debate with reference to Rene Descartes (the only part I am confused on how to do is to link/ reference an answer to the Donnie stated)

2) Explain the significance if the mind-versus-body problem.

Thanks a bunch,
Luke
QCE Class of 2021: Design | Digital Solutions | English | ICT | General Maths | Psychology

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 05:37:39 pm »
+4
Hiya,

Just doing some study for my upcoming Unit 1 and 2 Psych exam and came across two questions I don't quite know how to answer... Any help would be appreciated ;D  (most preferred would be to answer the question XD)

1)  Describe the mind-versus-body debate with reference to Rene Descartes (the only part I am confused on how to do is to link/ reference an answer to the Donnie stated)

2) Explain the significance if the mind-versus-body problem.

Thanks a bunch,
Luke
Descartes believes that the mind and body are distinct entities, not connected "his thesis that mind and body are really distinct—a thesis now called “mind-body dualism.” He reaches this conclusion by arguing that the nature of the mind (that is, a thinking, non-extended thing) is completely different from that of the body (that is, an extended, non-thinking thing), and therefore it is possible for one to exist without the other."

For question 2:
In regards to psychology this idea is highly debated because many functions of the mind are related to the body; for example,  some theories on emotion explain emotion as a result of the physiological (therefore affecting the body) influences on the body
In other cases though it can be true that the mind can act distinct from the body; take instincts, for example. The body will naturally fear something (like heights) but the mind will not, hence why it can also be argued they are separate

For question 1:
Descartes believed that mind and body were separate entities while today we take a biopsychsocial approach to most things for a full understanding of a psychological phenomenon. His philosophy would not take into account the biological aspect of psychology of how the body works with the brain.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 05:49:31 pm by 1729 »

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 10:43:09 am »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get different perspectives on how I could answer the following question: Evaluate LOP model of memory, including the role of encoding in long-term memory. I have been evaluating the LOP model however I wasn't referencing the role of encoding in long-term memory and now am a bit quizzical on how this would look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
QCE Class of 2021: Design | Digital Solutions | English | ICT | General Maths | Psychology

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 08:51:56 pm »
+2
Hey!

Given it's an "evaluate" question you'll probably want to dig into the model a fair bit.

Remember that in encoding you process the memory so that it can be retrieved later. For this question, you want to talk about how when you encode the memory using semantic processing it will be longer lasting than it would be if shallow processing was used etc.

Does this clarify things for you?

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 07:13:32 pm »
+1
Hey!

Given it's an "evaluate" question you'll probably want to dig into the model a fair bit.

Remember that in encoding you process the memory so that it can be retrieved later. For this question, you want to talk about how when you encode the memory using semantic processing it will be longer lasting than it would be if shallow processing was used etc.

Does this clarify things for you?

So would an answer like the following be, I guess, acceptable for evaluating the LOP model:

The Levels of Processing (LOP) model of memory suggests that memory is a continuous dimension where memories are encoded in relation to the ease at which they can be retrieved. This model focuses on the notion of processing, transmitting and relaying information to one memory structure to another (e.g. Sensory Memory and Short Term Memory), and suggests there are different depths (from shallow - which encompasses structural and phonemic - and deep - which contains semantic). The LOP model proposes that the deeper the processing an individual uses whilst encoding information into memory, the longer the memory trace will last and the greater chance it would be retrieved. A strength of this model is that it suggests encoding is not a straightforward and simple procedure and instead is multifaceted with varying sub-components. A limitation of this model is that it is not a very comprehensive model of memory as it only the processes of memory and not the structures. [Concluding statement?] <-- I have this here because during my study for the Unit 1 & 2 exam, my school liked it if you wrapped the evaluation up with your own view on the subject matter.

This seems too long to me. What do you think?

Appreciate it,
Luke

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 09:29:48 am »
+2
This seems too long to me. What do you think?

The length you need will depend on the number of marks allocated but yeah this could be more succinct and thus shorter.

Let's examine your answer:

The Levels of Processing (LOP) model of memory suggests that memory is a continuous dimension where memories are encoded in relation to the ease at which they can be retrieved.

The focus of the LOP model isn't so much about encoding and retrievable being similarly easy but about the depth of processing aiding retrieval. i.e. if the memory is encoded using deeper processing, retrieval will be easier.

This model focuses on the notion of processing, transmitting and relaying information to one memory structure to another (e.g. Sensory Memory and Short Term Memory)

careful here - we can link LOP to the Atkinson Shiffrin multistore model of memory but the focus of LOP isn't on the structures.

, and suggests there are different depths (from shallow - which encompasses structural and phonemic - and deep - which contains semantic).

Structural and phonemic what?   Aside from that omission, this is exactly the type of point you want to be including.

The LOP model proposes that the deeper the processing an individual uses whilst encoding information into memory, the longer the memory trace will last and the greater chance it would be retrieved.

Great!

A strength of this model is that it suggests encoding is not a straightforward and simple procedure and instead is multifaceted with varying sub-components.

Great!

A limitation of this model is that it is not a very comprehensive model of memory as it only the processes of memory and not the structures.

Yep - this contrasts with what you said earlier.

[Concluding statement?] <-- I have this here because during my study for the Unit 1 & 2 exam, my school liked it if you wrapped the evaluation up with your own view on the subject matter.

Given it's an evaluate question, if it was worth a lot of marks including a concluding statement is a great idea. Also, it's great that you included a strength and weakness.

Sample answer:

The LOP model This acronym is in the syllabus & I can be confident it will be familiar to assessors suggests that deeper processing increases the strength of memory traces, resulting in easier retrieval. Shallow processing involves processes such as phonemic and structural encoding now I've included encoding like they asked which focuses on the physical attributes and sounds relating to a memory this elaboration may be optional depending on marks. By contrast, deep processing involves semantic encoding note the connection/contrast with the previous sentence in which information across memories is connected again the elaboration may be optional depending on number of marks. Thus, the type of encoding used influences presence and persistence in long term memory I added this in to ensure I was talking about "the role of encoding in long-term memory". A strength of this model is that it acknowledges the complexity of processing and is able to explain why elaborative rehearsal aids retention, however, it is limited in that it does not explain how this links to memory stores or structures in the brain depending on mark allocation you probably only actually need 1 strength and limitation.

Appreciate it,
Luke

No worries!

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 01:11:51 pm »
Hey again,

I just wanted to see if anyone could provide me clarification on distinguishing between recall, recognition, and relearning because, at the moment, this how I'd answer it:

Recall is the retrieval of information with the use of minimal cues whereas recognition is a process of retrieval which requires the identification of a correct response out of a list of alternative responses and relearning is the process of learning information that has already been committed to memory. A difference between these concepts is that recall is the least sensitive measure of retention, with recognition being more sensitive than recall and relearning being the most sensitive measure of retention.

The difference, to me, seems weak and the problem I am finding is that I can't find anymore information about the distinct differences between these three.

I really would appreciate any help you can provide,
Luke

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 01:53:32 pm »
+1
Hey again,

I just wanted to see if anyone could provide me clarification on distinguishing between recall, recognition, and relearning because, at the moment, this how I'd answer it:

Recall is the retrieval of information with the use of minimal cues whereas recognition is a process of retrieval which requires the identification of a correct response out of a list of alternative responses and relearning is the process of learning information that has already been committed to memory. A difference between these concepts is that recall is the least sensitive measure of retention, with recognition being more sensitive than recall and relearning being the most sensitive measure of retention.

The difference, to me, seems weak and the problem I am finding is that I can't find anymore information about the distinct differences between these three.

I really would appreciate any help you can provide,
Luke

Hey Luke!

It looks like you've got the definitions down and you know the order of sensitivity so I just want to check that you understand each one:

The key distinction between recall and recognition is that in recognition you give someone a list of options whereas in recall you don't.

Let's say you ask someone what country Queensland is in and give no other information. You're asking them to perform recall.

Let's say you tell them it starts with A. Still recall (this time just cued recall rather than free recall - you don't need to know the difference)

If you told them it starts with A and then gave them a list of countries which start with A then it would be recognition.

For relearning, you need to have them do the same thing multiple times and see if they improve. E.g. maybe you ask them the next day what country Queensland is in and they answer accurately this time, or if they already answered accurately the previous time you could see if they answer more quickly.

There's not much you can really say in terms of differences aside from understanding what each one is and knowing the order of sensitivity (and what that means). Are you confident in being able to apply these to scenarios?

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 11:29:15 am »
Hey,

I was just wondering how would you answer a compare question. According to QCAA, you have to display recognition of similarities and differences and recognise the significance of these similarities and differences. I feel confident on discussing the similarities and differences between two concepts, but how do you do the last part?

Just so I understand an example response to a compare question, could you respond to the following question:
Compare classical conditioning and operant conditioning.

Thanks,
Luke

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 12:26:16 pm »
+3
Hey,

I was just wondering how would you answer a compare question. According to QCAA, you have to display recognition of similarities and differences and recognise the significance of these similarities and differences. I feel confident on discussing the similarities and differences between two concepts, but how do you do the last part?

Just so I understand an example response to a compare question, could you respond to the following question:
Compare classical conditioning and operant conditioning.

Thanks,
Luke

Depending on the marks this may vary slightly but:

Operant conditioning and classical conditioning are both associative forms of learning using the learner's direct experience. However in classical conditioning, the response is involuntary whereas in operant conditioning is conscious, deliberate, and voluntary. Thus, operant conditioning requires more engagement from the learner despite both methods of learning using similar principles.

The last part is tricky as it involves recognition of the impact of a previously discussed factor (or synthesis). The level of depth you should go to will depend on the mark allocation - and as always linking to the specific scenario is advisable.

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 02:38:35 pm »
+1
Depending on the marks this may vary slightly but:

The last part is tricky as it involves recognition of the impact of a previously discussed factor (or synthesis). The level of depth you should go to will depend on the mark allocation - and as always linking to the specific scenario is advisable.

Thanks Bri! This cleared everything up.

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 02:35:20 pm »
Hey,

I was just wondering do I have to know the differences, similarities, and the significance of the differences between each theory of gender role formation? This is because the cognitive verb that this content falls under in the syllabus is compare, which is what you have to do for a compare question. However, none of the resources I have (e.g. school PPTs, Psychology textbook etc.) don't touch on the differences or similarities between these theories of gender role formation.

Also, could someone give me an example answer in response to the attached question because I don't recall explicitly covering arguments for and against the General Model of Aggression (GAM).

Sorry for the overload of questions,
Luke

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 06:00:59 pm »
+8
Hey,

I was just wondering do I have to know the differences, similarities, and the significance of the differences between each theory of gender role formation? This is because the cognitive verb that this content falls under in the syllabus is compare, which is what you have to do for a compare question. However, none of the resources I have (e.g. school PPTs, Psychology textbook etc.) don't touch on the differences or similarities between these theories of gender role formation.

Hey Luke!
I think I recall being asked a question about this at some point (either during exam prep or in the external) and I had run into the same issue. I understood the different theories (social, cognitive, and biological) but had never actually had to delve into the similarities and differences between them. Yes, unfortunately that is something you will need to take into consideration. I've jotted down some stuff and I hope you find it useful :)

To start off with, we have our social learning theories:
Bandura's Social Learning Theory posits that individuals will develop their identity and understanding of self by means of vicarious learning and modelling. We can apply this concept to gender role formation - children learn how to behave by observing parents and people around them and are affected by the differential treatment received by different genders.
This theory, unlike the biological theories, assumes that there exist no innate psychological differences between males and females (meaning that "gendered behaviour" is solely a result of socialisation). What's good about this theory is that it recognises the role that social and cultural influences play when it comes to an individual shaping their gender identity - though it fails to offer an explanation as to why there would be variation in conformity to gender stereotypes. Further, this theory suggests that gender identity is acquired passively (this position is contested by the cognitive development theories).

Next up are our cognitive development theories:
Kohlberg's Cognitive Theory of Gender
Consists of three stages:
G e n d e r   I d e n t i t y
  • Occurs at around 2-3 years old
  • Children understand whether they are male or female, but don't know why they are that sex
  • They will actively try to guess the sex of others
  • They associate sex/gender with behaviours or attributes
  • They do not understand that their sex has not and will not change
G e n d e r   S t a b i l i t y
  • Occurs at around 3-4 years old
  • They begin to understand that their sex will not change but cannot apply this understanding to others
  • They do not understand the difference between sex and gender
  • They believe that if their circumstances stay the same, so will their sex. But if circumstances change, so will their sex.
G e n d e r   C o n s t a n c y
  • Occurs at around 5 years old
  • They realise that sex is constant for all people
  • They will identify as male or female because of their genitals
  • They realise that just because attributes such as appearance or behaviour change, it doesn't mean sex will change
Gender Schema Theory
This theory posits that cognitive processes influence gender role formation. As soon as a child reaches the "gender identity" stage of Kholberg's model, they will begin to seek out information that will inform their gender schemas (mental representations, often based on stereotypes, of each gender). These schemas are usually quite basic, but they act as the foundations on which gender information will continue to build throughout life.
Children will also develop gender scripts (roles and behaviours ascribed to each gender - based on observation) and will focus on things that connect to their gender and lose interest in things that do not. These scripts and schemas become less malleable with age - explaining why gender roles are stable within society and rarely change after middle childhood (unlike the biological theories which cannot explain it)

These cognitive theories also recognises that the development of one's gender identity is not a passive feat - individuals have to actively seek out information. However, these theories have a large focus on the individual and neglect the influence of social and cultural factors on gender role formation - unlike the social and biological theories.

Finally our biology-based theories:
The overarching idea that constitutes these theories is that gender is predetermined by sex - they do not differentiate between the two. Gendered behaviour is a result of hormones and chromosomes - however the theories fail to explain how gender roles are maintained.
Evolutionary
  • Gendered behaviours arose as a result of natural selection - these behaviours gave humans an advantage as a species.
  • Males are more aggressive and competitive as this increased fecundity and females are more nurturing so that they would be able to attract a partner and raise children.
  • This theory explains why traits were developed but cannot explain why they are still formed and maintained today.
  • Further, it fails to indicate how these traits are genetically determined - rather it posits that society evolved this way as a result of the pressure each gender experienced.
Psychsexual Differentiation
  • Focuses on how testosterone affects the brain to determine masculinity.
  • Believes that humans are born with an innate instinct to identify as either male or female
  • Suggests that hormones are the main influence, however socialisation also plays a role
Biosocial
  • Developed by Money and Ehrhardt (1972), this theory states that gender roles are developed as a result of the interaction between sex and socialisation
  • Children are born gender neutral and socialisation will be based around genitalia.
  • Money and Ehrhardt developed the theory after observing that children who were born intersex and underwent surgery to assign them a biological sex, would grow up to assume the sex they were assigned through surgery

tl;dr, a few of the similarities and differences are:
  • The social learning theories believe that there are no innate psychological differences between genders, however the biology-based theories believe there are innate psychological differences.
  • The social learning theories fail to describe how gender roles are maintained, the cognitive theories address this issue.
  • The social learning theories believe that gender identity is acquired passively, whereas the cognitive theories believe it is an active process. The evolutionary and psychosexual theories believes it is passive, whereas the biosocial theory believes it is active.
  • The cognitive theories are the only theories that do not take into account cultural and social influence (rather, they only account for immediate observation)
  • The social and cognitive theories explain how gender roles are maintained - biological do not.
  • All theories involve socialisation.

Also, could someone give me an example answer in response to the attached question because I don't recall explicitly covering arguments for and against the General Model of Aggression (GAM).

That question was on last year's external exam (I remember looking at it and thinking, "... wtf?" ahaha).
QCAA's sample answer was:
An argument for the general aggression model (GAM) is that it offers empirically validated insights into ways to reduce aggression, including how to stunt the development of aggressive tendencies over time.
An example argument for the GAM is that a person known to be aggressive can be given strategies designed to reduce their hostile affect and increase thoughtful awareness of the violent thoughts, feelings and actions, increasing their likelihood to engage in decision-making processes when the urge to act aggressively occurs.
An argument against the GAM is that it suggests that aggression is an automatic process over which an individual has little control.
An example of the argument against the GAM suggests that all teenagers who play violent video games would display aggressive tendencies; however, evidence suggests that although the sale of violent games has increased over time, so has the civic involvement and volunteering of youth, providing evidence against the automatic processes proposed by the GAM.
You can access last year's papers and the solutions here :)

I hope this is helpful! Give us a shout if you have any queries or concerns :)
Katelyn
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 03:06:03 pm by K.Smithy »
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2021, 01:06:03 pm »
+1
Hey Luke!
I think I recall being asked a question about this at some point (either during exam prep or in the external) and I had run into the same issue. I understood the different theories (social, cognitive, and biological) but had never actually had to delve into the similarities and differences between them. Yes, unfortunately that is something you will need to take into consideration. I've jotted down some stuff and I hope you find it useful :)

Hey Katelyn,

Thanks so much and ngl I hate QCAA so much for telling students to know something but not get taught it.