Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:14:34 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam! 2019  (Read 20070 times)  Share 

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam! 2019
« on: February 25, 2019, 08:00:14 pm »
+24
HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

Hello! I have created this practice exam to test your knowledge in both advanced mechanics and electricity & magnetism.

Most of these questions are unique and have not been taken from anywhere. (eg Q13 was adapted from a question in PHYS1121)

It should be noted that this exam is Very Hard as it is testing very advanced knowledge. Be prepared to have a lot of difficult questions! (the last one especially!). Due to this, I have prepared a very detailed answer booklet that goes through every question in detail. If the solutions still confuse you, please don't hesitate to ask on the physics forum!

It has been set up like any trial / final HSC exam with consists of 100 marks with 3 hours to complete, so I highly suggest placing yourself under time pressure to get used to it! (or don't that's fine too!)

That being said, if you believe there is an error in any of the questions/solutions or you'd like to share your thoughts or results (I'd really appreciate it!), please let me know through PM or below this post! ;D

Special thanks to Rui, Jamon and Poet for helping me with the project ;D

Without further ado, please enjoy!! (file was too big for AN, so have the dropbox instead)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nw8amob7yq3uzoe/AABcOxEVCV8Ap1LaK1iwH67va?dl=0

Enjoy!!!!!! ;D

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:48:30 pm by blasonduo »
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

Jithin

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam! 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:48:59 pm »
+1
Would there be one like this for chemistry as well?!  ;D ;)

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:55:10 pm »
+1
Would there be one like this for chemistry as well?!  ;D ;)

Hey! Welcome to the forums! ;D

Sadly, I'm not nearly as proficient with the new chemistry syllabus, and my knowledge only really lies in physics, so I personally wouldn't be suited to make one. Who knows, maybe someone else will? ;)

Kicking myself into gear

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 11:06:39 pm »
+1
Hey!
Awesome exam btw.
Just a bit confused on 21a), is there meant to be a magnetic field strength provided or not?
I don't think flux can be calculated without it, unless it is in terms of B?
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 11:04:04 am »
Hey!
Awesome exam btw.
Just a bit confused on 21a), is there meant to be a magnetic field strength provided or not?
I don't think flux can be calculated without it, unless it is in terms of B?

Hey! Thanks for that, I have fixed the question. Oddly enough in my early drafts, the value was there, so I have no clue how it got omitted in the final copy

Kicking myself into gear

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 03:42:54 pm »
+1
I gotta say nice practise exam :c

Emilecross

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 01:21:44 pm »
+2
How does Question 19 work? I got answer C putting the north pole at P but I fail to see how it would flow from B to A.

Q22 Typo in either answer or question, the averages have strange numbers

Trial 6 should have a period of 1.42s, also please amend the table such that it's to scientific standards with units in the Heading not the body of the table it just looks a lot less cluttered

EDIT: actually I now have no clue where the numbers in the average calculation came from, was this intended? please elaborate

Q 24

again, strange numbers not sure if typo in questions or answers. The ugly number from 4.5kg leads me to believe that it's in the question

EDIT: later on in 24a, t=v/a = 20/.168

acceleration was taken as: a=0.336=2*0.168 (is there any reason to multiply by two or was this another error?) please elaborate

Mod edit: Merged posts :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:32:58 pm by blasonduo »

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 02:27:00 pm »
+1
How does Question 19 work? I got answer C putting the north pole at P but I fail to see how it would flow from B to A.

Hey! Welcome to the forums! ;D

What you've done is completely correct, it's the way we've defined our flow to be different. When I was saying from A to B, I was referring to the flow through the galvanometer (directly down, so from A to B).

It's just one of those thing's which I didn't account for different interpretations, so thanks heaps for bringing this up.

I shall edit the question to make this more defined.

~~

Woah! Completely correct, I'm pretty sure I changed these values previously to make the average to be more suitable for an actual experiment, and just forgot to change the values it seems, same with the fan. I shall fix these shortly.

Thanks heaps for pointing all this out, it somehow even got through 3 people's proof reads  :o

Kicking myself into gear

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 02:40:50 pm »
+1
Finally took the time to do this, and it was definitely worth it! Thanks so much! Must've been a lot of work, it'll definitely help a lot of people! :)

Just a few notes:
- Most of the above have already been addressed, but there's one more continuity error in Q33! I think under the cube root there's a 4 that isn't supposed to be there. I think you did the same thing as me in the answers, but just forgot to take extra 4 in the show that part of the question. (Just a question, is anything this algebraically involved going to be in the HSC? (please say yes :) ))
- Super in depth answers, (110/100 stuff), really helped my understanding with the ones I did get wrong (which were actually kind of depressing after doing the exam)
- It's 100% doable (for anyone scared off by the very hard in bold and red and underlined and magnified text), just make sure you keep a straight head all the way through, think things through properly! It's hard, but not so hard if you take the time to answer everything. 3 hours is a lot of time!
- Another question: is something like this going to be prepared for Mod 7 and 8? Given that you've done a whole paper already, I don't expect anything more (seems like a lot of work balanced with other commitments) but it's worth asking ;)
- Last question: How would the HSC compare to this exam in terms of difficulty?

Thanks again!! :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 10:03:27 pm »
+1
- Last question: How would the HSC compare to this exam in terms of difficulty?

I'll leave blasonduo to answer the rest, but your HSC exam will be much easier than this! But this is an amazing revision exercise nonetheless ;D

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 01:21:41 pm »
+2
-snipped

Thanks for that catch in 34! The paper has been updated and fixed ;D

As Jamon said, nothing will be this involved, but if you can do these, you'll be able to do anything the HSC exam throws at you with absolute ease.

I'm glad that the answer booklet was really helpful, especially when you get something wrong, my aim was to make you understand why as well, and not just the answer. I'm hoping that I can get another out for the last two topics, but I need to see how viable that is, especially with UNSW only giving 2-week breaks. This one took me ~6-7 weeks to make because creating questions (and then getting correct solutions to them) does take a while, plus the fact I did medical for my HSC and not quantum means I'd need to teach myself that content first. But I really do hope so! Also, If you're willing, could you please send me which questions you got wrong (Especially multiple choice!) this information would be incredibly helpful for my next paper, especially to see if my questions are appropriate, and how a student tries to tackle the question, it also allows me to target weaker sections too. But again, only if you want to, no pressure at all! ;D

Thanks for doing this, and thanks for the feedback!

Kicking myself into gear

Emilecross

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 09:38:15 pm »
I just had my school physics Task 1 exam, it was way harder than this. I honestly would prefer if this was my exam. This sample exam is of low difficulty in terms of alegbraic manipulation and calculations and of moderate to high difficulty in terms of theory depending on person to person. I'll try to upload a copy of the school paper if they do actually release it after they mark it, however I highly doubt they will since there's going to be a lot of competition between schools in the next few years following the syllabus change.

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 02:36:20 pm »
+1
I just had my school physics Task 1 exam, it was way harder than this. I honestly would prefer if this was my exam. This sample exam is of low difficulty in terms of algebraic manipulation and calculations and of moderate to high difficulty in terms of theory depending on person to person. I'll try to upload a copy of the school paper if they do actually release it after they mark it, however, I highly doubt they will since there's going to be a lot of competition between schools in the next few years following the syllabus change.

Yeah, this is why it's really difficult to account for every school's exams, some schools (like mine) have their half-yearlies and trials to be similar, or easier difficulty to the HSC exam to better model the exam, while some higher ranked schools tend to make them really difficult to make students more proficient; to make the HSC exam feel much easier. I hope that both exams are a learning experience for you, but in the end, the HSC exam will be easier.

Kicking myself into gear

rh45_21

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 10:33:43 pm »
+1
This was a great exam!!! Thank you so much  :D ;D

Milliewacher

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 05:47:30 pm »
+1
hey great example exam thank you! for question 28 b would a zero force not be able to be established if the current of the two wires where acting in opposite directions? so a 0 is dependent on the current in the wires, not magnitude but direction??