Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:33:47 am

Author Topic: Logic vs. Philosophy - Making a start  (Read 4285 times)

finnellaoleary

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Logic vs. Philosophy - Making a start
« on: February 26, 2019, 06:48:09 pm »
Hey guys!
I'm currently doing Unit 1 of P&R and we've started with logic - truth tables, conjuncts, antecedents, etc. Is anyone else starting with logic before doing philosophy? How are you guys liking philosophy/logic so far, and do you wish you were doing one or the other first?
QCE 2020: english~essential maths~
legal studies~philosophy and reason~modern history~ancient history~

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Logic vs. Philosophy - Making a start
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:56:26 pm »
+4
Hey guys!
I'm currently doing Unit 1 of P&R and we've started with logic - truth tables, conjuncts, antecedents, etc. Is anyone else starting with logic before doing philosophy? How are you guys liking philosophy/logic so far, and do you wish you were doing one or the other first?

Never did high-school philosophy but did a double major in it at uni... starting with logic makes a lot of sense to me. It might be a bit gross at the start because without context it can seem robotic, but once you get into actual argumentation and start being intuitively formalising everything and mentally condensing arguments into logical rules for evaluating, you’ll come to value having a logic base.

I know nothing about your course, but if your teacher had the option of choosing to do logic first or like, prose based philosophy first and they decided to go with logic... I think they made a good choice. There’s benefits to the reverse order as well but I personally like logic first.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️