Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:44:22 am

Author Topic: Get to know you series :) [CURRENTLY: Favourite Kitchen Appliance]  (Read 58450 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
+18
Hi everybody!

This is such an awesome community. Awesome communities are made up of awesome people. And I though it'd be nice to get to know each other a bit more!

So in this thread, I'm just going to periodically change the prompt in the title of the thread. The first one is extracurricular activities - so just list or talk about what you do outside of school/uni/whatever. :)

PROMPT: What extracurricular activities do you do? Why?

I'll start us off!

I'm honestly not as involved in as much stuff as I should be, but here goes.

I enjoy drawing, running and walking my dog Neville. I don't draw or run as much as I would like to. Spending time with my girlfriend is my favourite thing, no matter what that really involves. I have absolutely no idea how this is the case, but I've been sucked in to watching old episodes of Big Brother, which makes no sense because it was awful at the time and remains that way now. But I like it.

I used to play a lot of sport, namely cricket. I don't do that any longer, but I definitely still enjoy watching cricket, footy, whatever's on at the time. :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:50:20 pm by insanipi »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Get to know you series :) [CURRENTLY: extracurricular activities]
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 02:37:28 pm »
+14
I get bummed when I get asked this because I usually work too much to have time for extracurriculars! ;)

- Hanging out with my fiancé is also my fave pasttime. Lately that's involved wedding planning and budget spreadsheets - Ooft, what a great time! ;D
- I try to find time to watch TV with my family every evening, even if I'm doing some light work at the same time. We usually shit talk the people on whatever reality TV show is hot at the time, or binge watch old episodes of Judge Judy.
- When I manage it, I love taking my dog Bella for a walk and listening to music. One of the very few times I'm not "working" :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 02:41:55 pm »
+4
wedding planning

YEET. So exciting! 💍💍💍

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 03:07:37 pm »
+13
Knitting, watching Netflix and hanging out with my boyfriend are probably the 3 things I do the most :) Currently knitting a baby blanket for a family friend who is expecting and I'm enjoying it so much that I've started bringing my knitting to uni to do in the breaks lol

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 03:15:02 pm »
+13
- I help lead the years 2-4 Group at Girls Brigade and we do stuff like craft, games, cooking, devotions, etc. Kinda started off in Girls Brigade in year 7 and then went on with three of my friends to become leaders last year.

- I'm involved in my local band (both the youth ensemble & main wind band), uni's wind symphony and clarinet lessons, so I practise and do concerts/marches and events with them. Been a part of my local one since year 6, and uni's a course requirement (but it's really good). I've also been involved in school musicals a few times and I think I'm going to do the orchestra for my schools musical this year.  :D

Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 03:22:34 pm »
+5
Knitting, watching Netflix and hanging out with my boyfriend are probably the 3 things I do the most :) Currently knitting a baby blanket for a family friend who is expecting and I'm enjoying it so much that I've started bringing my knitting to uni to do in the breaks lol

Favourite Netflix shows atm?

- I help lead the years 2-4 Group at Girls Brigade and we do stuff like craft, games, cooking, devotions, etc. Kinda started off in Girls Brigade in year 7 and then went on with three of my friends to become leaders last year.

- I'm involved in my local band (both the youth ensemble & main wind band), uni's wind symphony and clarinet lessons, so I practise and do concerts/marches and events with them. Been a part of my local one since year 6, and uni's a course requirement (but it's really good). I've also been involved in school musicals a few times and I think I'm going to do the orchestra for my schools musical this year.  :D

Nice! How often do you have to practise for stuff like that? I used to play piano (and violin back in the day) but that never really developed.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 03:28:51 pm »
+13
Outside of work, hanging out with my baby nephew occupies the bulk of my time. I like teaching him things. We're currently stuck on a game where I kick a ball away from him, and he carries a donut (the inflatable ones for pools), and he has to slam the donut onto the ball so the ball gets stuck on it

Other than that, I like wood-burning (still learning the movements), martial arts (altho I only do it once in a blue moon nowadays -- not lessons, but I spar with my brother at the gym), gardening (I grow a bunch of herbs, some veggies, and flowers), and cooking (I enjoy learning new cuisines). I've also been fixing an old dirtbike for the past 16 months. It's not a hobby and I'm only like 30% done haha, but it makes me sound interesting if I pretend I'm still actively doing it

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 03:29:24 pm »
+13
Outside of work and school, my free time is divided between a fair bit of running, poor attempts at Reading, and lurking about these forums. I would like to do more reading though.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 03:34:19 pm »
+11
I really enjoy photography - even if the photos don't turn out great, I enjoy having a purpose for walking somewhere - also enjoy walking places just for the sake of it though (I should probably post some of the photos I took last night haha).
Love listening to music, but I'm rather bad at finding new songs to listen to.
I enjoy pretty much any water-based activity, although it's not something I do a lot due to a lot of those sorts of things being expensive/needing equipment I don't have.
Also really enjoy reading, although I haven't been doing much of it lately.

Aso, netflix. Just finished watching The Umbrella Academy
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 03:35:53 pm »
+9
Outside of work, hanging out with my baby nephew occupies the bulk of my time. I like teaching him things. We're currently stuck on a game where I kick a ball away from him, and he carries a donut (the inflatable ones for pools), and he has to slam the donut onto the ball so the ball gets stuck on it

Other than that, I like wood-burning (still learning the movements), martial arts (altho I only do it once in a blue moon nowadays -- not lessons, but I spar with my brother at the gym), gardening (I grow a bunch of herbs, some veggies, and flowers), and cooking (I enjoy learning new cuisines). I've also been fixing an old dirtbike for the past 16 months. It's not a hobby and I'm only like 30% done haha, but it makes me sound interesting if I pretend I'm still actively doing it

What is wood-burning, exactly? I know nothing about it, but it sounds interesting.

Outside of work and school, my free time is divided between a fair bit of running, poor attempts at Reading, and lurking about these forums. I would like to do more reading though.

Would love to hear more about your running. Pls give me tips.

I really enjoy photography - even if the photos don't turn out great, I enjoy having a purpose for walking somewhere - also enjoy walking places just for the sake of it though (I should probably post some of the photos I took last night haha).
Love listening to music, but I'm rather bad at finding new songs to listen to.
I enjoy pretty much any water-based activity, although it's not something I do a lot due to a lot of those sorts of things being expensive/needing equipment I don't have.
Also really enjoy reading, although I haven't been doing much of it lately.

Aso, netflix. Just finished watching The Umbrella Academy

Based on your thread in the Creative Corner, your photos are mint! What are your favourite three songs atm?

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 03:59:41 pm »
+11
What is wood-burning, exactly? I know nothing about it, but it sounds interesting.

Wood-burning (or pyrography if you're fancy) is using a heated point to, you guessed it, burn markings onto wood haha. Right now I use a solid-point burner, which looks like a thick pen with a brass tip, which is then heated to a set temp by some fancy electrical thingo. As I get more experienced I'll switch to one with variable heat, as the heat of the metal determines the width and colour of the burn

Right now I'm just getting the movements down, so what I do is cut off a piece of soft wood, and use pencil to draw a bunch of straight lines and curved lines, then I try to follow it. Once I get the movements down a bit more I'll try with simpler art pieces haha. I want to eventually make stylized boards for board games -- like chess and hnefatafl (cool game, would recommend, thx Melb Museum). I'll have to post some of my first pieces on AN ;)

Pyrography pen
This is an example of a tool used. The dial controls the heat, which determines colour. Below it are nibs, which are writing points of different cuts and shapes, which allow for different things -- like sharper lines, adding fades, shading, blahblah).

example of a fancy af pyrography piece

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:03:55 pm by Calebark »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 04:19:45 pm »
+4
^That's sick, dude. I had no idea you were doing this!

So - apologies for the crass comparison - is it kinda like wood tattooing?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 04:23:59 pm »
+10
Based on your thread in the Creative Corner, your photos are mint! What are your favourite three songs atm?
That's because I post the good ones ;)

Not necessarily my favourite songs of all time, but atm
1. Chasing cars - Snow patrol
2. i apologise if you feel something - Bring Me The Horizon
3. Paint it black - The Rolling Stones
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 04:58:34 pm »
+5
Nice! How often do you have to practise for stuff like that? I used to play piano (and violin back in the day) but that never really developed.
I try to practise around 45min-1hr most days, mainly for scales and pieces for my exams. We get assessed on the wind symphony music so I practise through some of the harder parts (the runs and faster bits), but I don't practise too much for the other band (unless it's for a concert or the musics a bit hard). I have wind symphony on Tuesdays (4-6:15) and my other band on Fridays (6:30-10) so I don't really practise at home too much on those days. :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 05:11:12 pm »
+4
^That's sick, dude. I had no idea you were doing this!

So - apologies for the crass comparison - is it kinda like wood tattooing?

It's a recent and somewhat infrequent thing haha. It takes a while for the pen to heat up, so I usually need a lot of spare time to do it or I only get 5 minutes of actual work, so for now it's not super frequent (YET)

Not crass because I fucking love master tattooists haha. And yes, it's actually a perfect comparison! And just like tattooing, it's really difficult to keep the same direction/depth on the material you're using. I'm currently using poplar to burn, as it's pretty soft and the grain isn't funky so it produces no weird sap bubbles (like you'd get with really sturdier woods like oak)