Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:02:00 pm

Author Topic: Get to know you series :) [CURRENTLY: Favourite Kitchen Appliance]  (Read 58423 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Get to know you series :) [CURRENTLY: extracurricular activities]
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 05:14:16 pm »
+3
I try to practise around 45min-1hr most days, mainly for scales and pieces for my exams. We get assessed on the wind symphony music so I practise through some of the harder parts (the runs and faster bits), but I don't practise too much for the other band (unless it's for a concert or the musics a bit hard). I have wind symphony on Tuesdays (4-6:15) and my other band on Fridays (6:30-10) so I don't really practise at home too much on those days. :)

That's pretty good dedication! Do you find the practice like, a burden, or do you genuinely enjoy it?

It's a recent and somewhat infrequent thing haha. It takes a while for the pen to heat up, so I usually need a lot of spare time to do it or I only get 5 minutes of actual work, so for now it's not super frequent (YET)

Not crass because I fucking love master tattooists haha. And yes, it's actually a perfect comparison! And just like tattooing, it's really difficult to keep the same direction/depth on the material you're using. I'm currently using poplar to burn, as it's pretty soft and the grain isn't funky so it produces no weird sap bubbles (like you'd get with really sturdier woods like oak)

Who's your favourite tattooist if any?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 05:17:16 pm »
+12
Outside of actually studying/crying at the amount of teamwork I have to do at uni (and sleeping. Let's also include reading here haha):
- Going on coffee/lunch dates with mum (last time, it was an AquaS icecream one. 100% recommend.)
- Waiting in (horrendous) lines for free food whilst at uni (I waited 37 minutes for a sub-par taco yesterday...)
- Helping out at a Red Cross shop
- Helping out on two uni clubs I'm on the committee for. (Which includes freaking out that the event I'm responsible for rn lol)
- Occasionally playing my bass
- Also always planning my next flight(s) to/from Sydney for the obvious reasons <3
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 05:19:53 pm »
+3
Outside of actually studying/crying at the amount of teamwork I have to do at uni (and sleeping. Let's also include reading here haha):
- Going on coffee/lunch dates with mum (last time, it was an AquaS icecream one. 100% recommend.)
- Waiting in (horrendous) lines for free food whilst at uni (I waited 37 minutes for a sub-par taco yesterday...)
- Helping out at a Red Cross shop
- Helping out on two uni clubs I'm on the committee for. (Which includes freaking out that the event I'm responsible for rn lol)
- Occasionally playing my bass
- Also always planning my next flight(s) to/from Sydney for the obvious reasons <3

What's the event?

And don't think that cheeky white text got by me hahaha.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 05:24:12 pm »
+5
What's the event?

And don't think that cheeky white text got by me hahaha.
A trivia night! The faculty asked one of my clubs to run it and I'm the person allocated to it (mainly because I was kinda really keen). I honestly thought like only 2 people would be interested, but I have ~33 people coming, so I'm mildly surprised tbh!

#exposed :O
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 05:25:06 pm »
+6
A trivia night! The faculty asked one of my clubs to run it and I'm the person allocated to it (mainly because I was kinda really keen). I honestly thought like only 2 people would be interested, but I have ~33 people coming, so I'm mildly surprised tbh!

#exposed :O

That's awesome. You'll absolutely nail the ATAR Notes round (there's going to be an ATAR Notes round, right?).

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 05:39:47 pm »
+4
Who's your favourite tattooist if any?

Oof, good question. My favourite is probably Ben Smith, from The Black Mark in Melbourne. The detail in his shading is insane. My personal favourite is the first photo in the spoiler, of the marble statue. As much as I love looking at realism tattoos, I wouldn't get one myself -- I prefer things that are colourful and more abstract. That said, he's still my favourite artist

Ben Smith

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 05:44:09 pm »
+3
^Yeet. Yeah that's nice work. I really like Chris Garver (I used to be a big fan of Miami Ink haha). So much talent.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 05:54:53 pm »
+3
^Yeet. Yeah that's nice work. I really like Chris Garver (I used to be a big fan of Miami Ink haha). So much talent.

Ahh that's totally sick! Already a big fan of this dude. I see he does a lot of Japanese-style tattoos (Irekumi?), which is actually my favourite style. If I can keep my head on one design for the year I'll be planning on starting mine haha. Feel like I should bump your old tattoo thread ;)
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 05:57:48 pm »
+1
Ahh that's totally sick! Already a big fan of this dude. I see he does a lot of Japanese-style tattoos (Irekumi?), which is actually my favourite style. If I can keep my head on one design for the year I'll be planning on starting mine haha. Feel like I should bump your old tattoo thread ;)

Yikes. Completely forgot about that thread, but it's definitely worth a bump. ;D

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 06:24:14 pm »
+9
Some things I do / enjoy:
- Karate (I've been doing it for about 7 years and it's my only extracurricular outside of school atm)
- Year 7 Transition Program leader aka doing fun stuff with the Year 7s and telling them what high school is like.
- Cooking/following recipes
- Singing (I was in choir from prep to Year 9)
- Listening to either upbeat or chill music 
- Spending time with family and friends
- Nature
- Running and doing other forms of exercise every once in a while despite being incredibly uncoordinated.
- Playing with my aunt's dog Geoffrey whom I share a backyard with. See picz below :)

a doggo pic :)
a sleppy doggo pic
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 08:20:06 pm »
+9
Hobbies :D
- Tennis
- Football (soccer, if you prefer (I support Tottenham for anyone else that follows football))
- Catching up on reading 'classics' when I have spare time
- I play a lot of games (mad Pokemon fan, play a quite a few strategy games from time to time)
- I also follow cricket a lot
- Hiking up my Spotify hours by blasting music for as much time as I possible can
- Doing maths for absolutely no reason other than enjoyment
- TV shows? Sex Education, Rick and Morty are just a few I've watched and loved recently
- Just walking
- Procrastinating
- Just hanging out with friends :)

That's all for now :D
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 08:44:37 pm »
+9
Would love to hear more about your running. Pls give me tips.
I run about 5-6 times a week. This breaks down to an easy jog on (some) Mondays and (all) Wednesdays, Faster repetition work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and longer run on Sundays. In addition, on most Saturdays I will have a race of some sort (In the summer this will be track races, and In the winter this will be cross country). In terms of track racing, I tend to focus on the longer events such as the 1500m, 3km and Steeplechase, but do get around to do most events if only just for fun. Currently, we are at the closing end of track season and I have just run in the victorian champs for steeplechase with success, so I am off to the national championships in Sydney soon.

In terms of advice, consistency is key to improving fitness (I think you're mainly just looking to improve your fitness right?). I'm not a training expert, but I've heard that HIT style training is the best bang for your buck (better than just jogging about) but I'm sure there are plenty of better-educated people that can correct me on that.
If you're just wanting to go for jogs, I would recommend finding people or a group to run with if it is practical to do so. Also, trying to do a Park Run (Have you heard of them) every Saturday will not only give you a run to do with a bunch of people every week, but will probably motivate you to do a bit of training to improve times.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 03:35:01 am »
+8
I do theatre three nights a week (I have a French clowning class on one and working on a production on the other two). I mainly do devised, experimental and new writing theatre. I act, write and devise. I am also in the production team for upcoming shows for another experimental theatre, where I'm organising services that will make the show more accessible like captioning, AUSLAN interpreters, tactile tours, audio description, discounted tickets, and relaxed performances. I also actively volunteer in a community violence education project, doing organisational, facilitating and writing workshop outlines work. I also mentor youth who have incarcerated parents or are in foster care. I occasionally play soccer but mostly avidly avidly watch it. I'm getting into squash. I write tv pilots and long-form narrative journalism. I used to debate competitively, but the training nights currently clash with my theatre commitments (I still judge and coach student debaters which is pretty fun). I'm currently in love with Russian Doll on Netflix and will watch 'You" after I finish that. I got Bumble over two weeks ago and have been on a couple of dates (also currently casually dating someone that I'm into whom I've met from there), I like going to the beach in the summer. Also read The New Yorker religiously. Hanging out with my friends (one of them whom I've met somewhat recently is really into Melbourne's indie music scene so she's introducing me to it). Also working on various independent applied Anthropology projects.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 07:54:49 am »
+8
Everyone’s hobbies and interests are all so interesting  ;D

For myself, literally anything I do with my boyfriend is the best. Without him, I don’t think I’d even be attempting to keep an active life or investing as much as I am in Marvel movies. I’m pretty sure I’d try anything in his company because we just have so much fun.

In high school, I was quite involved, especially in Year 12. I was in school choir, debating and public speaking, girl’s futsal and performed heaps throughout my years at PHS. While I’m only really involving myself in music-based activities now, my other commitments were really rewarding.

I love watching cartoons! I think that’s apparent from my profile picture but figured this would be a great place to make it official  ;D I watch anything from Miraculous Ladybug, to Regular Show. A lot of my favourite shows have ended during or after high school so I’m hoping to find new things to watch in my early adulthood life ;D

I also read a lot but right now, that’s largely reading prescribed texts for Tutesmart so how much of it is work and how much of it is extra-curricular  ::) In my own time, I read young adult romance novels, lots of children’s literature and adult fiction as well. My favourite authors include Rainbow Rowell, Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler and Jodi Picoult. I love poetry too and have a shelf dedicated to poetry collections and anthologies. I frequently read The Prophet and my Edgar Allan Poe collection.

And as a music student, my extra curricular activities surrounding that include being in Choir at uni (which is my mandatory performance unit but I love it anyway!), recently being a volunteer performer for VSA and I’m hoping to launch some covers with my boyfriend once uni settles down a bit. I’m a huge trash for musical theatre so I’m always finding things to sing and learn  ;D

Don’t think there’s much else about me  :o Will edit if anything else comes to mind  ;D Excited to hear everyone else’s interests!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:57:33 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 05:44:23 pm »
+8
Hobbies:
- Reading, especially literary canons (when I run out of things to read, I literally look up the reading list for a literature course and get some recommendations from there
- Writing, specifically articles. I need to do something productive even during my break or I'll get restless. Like, after finishing my Year 12 half yearlies, I jumped on my laptop and started writing articles for a week straight because I needed a break from studying
- Playing video games. After my HSC exams, I played video games for a month straight (meanwhile, a lot of people in my school when to parties). I love open world games (e.g. Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy) because I'm a level grinder- in fact, I love video games so much I did my Major Work on it lol
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW