Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:59:40 pm

Author Topic: English to English language?  (Read 1241 times)  Share 

lou0018

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English to English language?
« on: May 07, 2019, 11:10:12 am »
is it worth moving to englang half way through year 11? thx

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: English to English language?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 11:11:29 am »
Depends!

What's your current situation? Why are you considering making the change? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

lou0018

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:23:49 am »
Depends!

What's your current situation? Why are you considering making the change? :)

As im struggling with the content in english. although everyone tells me lang is harder something tells me i would prefer it. just not sure about the move

anna.comet

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 05:18:37 pm »
+1
is it worth moving to englang half way through year 11? thx

Hi there! I completed English Language and Literature in years 11 and 12, and in all honesty I don't think that English Language is harder than mainstream English - I would say that it requires a different set of skills to English! If you have an analytical brain, and are also interested in social sciences like psychology, or in humanities subjects like history or philosophy, I think that you'd find English Language interesting! In year 11, you'll learn about the history of English all the way from its origins through middle English and into contemporary English. You'll also learn about Englishes all over the world, such as Singlish (in Singapore) and Jamaican English, etc.! Then in year 12, it's very different - we learn about why we change how formal our language is depending on who we are talking to, as well as the messages that we are trying to get across as we speak. Then in Unit 4 we learn about our individual identities as portrayed through our language, as well as Australian English through history (and Aboriginal Englishes too)!

I loved English Language because it's very applicable and relevant to our everyday lives, and I love being able to read things like cereal boxes, billboards, or spam emails and find them interesting, as well as being able to unpack their aim behind every language choice.

I hope you decide to switch to English Language, but make sure that you speak to your current English teacher, as well as the English Language teachers at your school to ensure that you are suited to the subject! At the end of the day, their job is to know how you learn, and they'll be able to explain your options in terms of English subjects. Good luck! :)

lou0018

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 08:58:25 pm »
hello, thank you for your response. how much catch up is there if you miss unit 1? my peers seem to think i'll be ok but the eng lang teachers believe it is a serious disadvantage. any thoughts? thanks

theKKCD

• Adventurer
  • Tap here to edit.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 09:43:12 pm »
+1
how much catch up is there if you miss unit 1?

Hello!

Honestly, I don't think you'd be at much of a disadvantage if you skipped Unit 1. It's definitely not a "serious disadvantage" as your teachers suggest. There'd be a small bit of catch up to do, but there are heaps of useful resources available so you'd definitely be able to deal with it. If you do end up enjoying Eng Lang more than English, you'd definitely be more motivated to put in the effort to catch up.

In fact, I had a couple people at my school pick up English Language 3/4 without doing the 1/2 and they weren't at much of a disadvantage.
Hope that answers your question!

2017: Economics [41]
2018: Eng Lang [49], Methods [43], Chemistry [47], Psychology [50], Japanese [38]
ATAR: 99.75
2019-2023: UniMelb Bachelor of Science / Master of Engineering