Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:25:12 am

Author Topic: any kwong lee dow hopefuls?  (Read 22513 times)

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
any kwong lee dow hopefuls?
« on: May 26, 2019, 06:29:55 pm »
+4
hey fellow year 10s,

is there anyone on the forums hoping to apply and become a uom kwong lee dow Young Scholar?
applications open september 2nd this year,,

I notice that the year 10 discussions kind of dead, so lets hope for more activity  ;D

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
  • Respect: +19
Re: any kwong lee dow hopefuls?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 05:52:27 pm »
I'm definitely going to try for kld. Unfortunate that Monash Scholars aren't accepting applications this year... which means none from our cohort will get a shot at the Monash Scholars program.

justinely

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 06:17:12 pm »
+1
I really want to as well! Have you told any of your teachers about it? Because apparently we need school endorsement to apply, and I don't think anybody at my school knows what it is lol
'21
English 50 | FM 43
ATAR: 97+

blueycan

• Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 03:06:53 pm »
+1
I really want to as well! Have you told any of your teachers about it? Because apparently we need school endorsement to apply, and I don't think anybody at my school knows what it is lol

I've told my coordinator about it, and I let her know I was keen... I guess now I just need to wait until we have to send in applications

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 07:31:25 am »
i'm pretty sure i don't want to go to melbourne uni, do you think it would still be worth applying?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 04:22:40 pm »
+3
i'm pretty sure i don't want to go to melbourne uni, do you think it would still be worth applying?

I did the KLD program and even though I'm at Monash now it was useful. The best thing I got from KLD is that the other kwongers in my cohort introduced me to AN (obviously AN has been very beneficial for me), and aside from that I liked networking with other students. Without it, I also wouldn't have met the person who influenced me to choose global challenges over research.

Basically, the best thing the program did for me was give me an avenue to network with other motivated students. Some people in the cohort really take advantage of that and some don't - it's your call how useful the program will be to you.

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 04:37:53 pm »
+5

I'm in the KLD class of 2020 and I do recommend applying! Even if you don't want to go to Melbourne Uni that's alright. You get to meet a lot of like-minded people in the program and there are certain things you get access too. (Lectures provided for 3/4 units, exclusive events etc..)
It's a great place to make new friends and be able to learn together from other motivated people! ;D
Take any opportunity that you are given. You never know where it may lead you! :D

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 05:10:22 pm »
+2
Hey there, I am sorry for this stupid question  :P :

But what exactly is the KLD program?

blueycan

• Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 08:14:25 pm »
+4

(Taken from the UniMelb website - https://study.unimelb.edu.au/study-with-us/programs-for-high-achievers/kwong-lee-dow-young-scholars-program )

The Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program is an academic enrichment program designed to support high achieving Victorian Year 11 and Year 12, and select secondary students living close to the New South Wales and South Australian borders.

If you're eligible, you'll get the exciting opportunity of experiencing university life and taking part in a range of academic events and activities, facilities to help you achieve your best – plus get a head start on your future studies and career!

When you finish your secondary studies, you could also be offered a guaranteed place in an undergraduate degree, financial assistance to move to Melbourne, and an overseas scholarship during your studies.

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 08:25:07 pm »
I'm in the KLD class of 2020
Not to sound rude or anything but how are you in the KLD class of 2020 when the applications for that haven't even opened.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 08:34:07 pm »
+5
Hey there, I am sorry for this stupid question  :P :

Not a stupid question at all. Like jeydanaazli has shared, it's a uni program for highschool students. Basically a couple of students are picked from each school in & around Vic (min of 1, max of 3 iirc) based on applications the students send in. Then throughout the rest of highschool the students are invited to some events at the uni & at the end there are some perks they might get. When I was part of it I was able to borrow books from unimelb's library which was nice. Unless they've changed it, access to perks after hs is based on a) picking unimelb b) atar c)  financial assistance is based on SEAs.

Universities tend to have different outreach programs to engage/support the community and lowkey advertise themselves - kld is unimelb's one.

Not to sound rude or anything but how are you in the KLD class of 2020 when the applications for that haven't even opened.

In my cohort we defined ourselves by the year we graduate high school. E.g. I was in the cohort of 2017 because that's when I was in yr 12

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 08:35:15 pm »
+1
In my cohort we defined ourselves by the year we graduate high school. E.g. I was in the cohort of 2017 because that's when I was in yr 12
Oh okay, that makes sense. My bad.

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 08:59:01 pm »
+3
(Taken from the UniMelb website - https://study.unimelb.edu.au/study-with-us/programs-for-high-achievers/kwong-lee-dow-young-scholars-program )

The Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program is an academic enrichment program designed to support high achieving Victorian Year 11 and Year 12, and select secondary students living close to the New South Wales and South Australian borders.

If you're eligible, you'll get the exciting opportunity of experiencing university life and taking part in a range of academic events and activities, facilities to help you achieve your best – plus get a head start on your future studies and career!

When you finish your secondary studies, you could also be offered a guaranteed place in an undergraduate degree, financial assistance to move to Melbourne, and an overseas scholarship during your studies.

Not a stupid question at all. Like jeydanaazli has shared, it's a uni program for highschool students. Basically a couple of students are picked from each school in & around Vic (min of 1, max of 3 iirc) based on applications the students send in. Then throughout the rest of highschool the students are invited to some events at the uni & at the end there are some perks they might get. When I was part of it I was able to borrow books from unimelb's library which was nice. Unless they've changed it, access to perks after hs is based on a) picking unimelb b) atar c)  financial assistance is based on SEAs.

Universities tend to have different outreach programs to engage/support the community and lowkey advertise themselves - kld is unimelb's one.

TY! It sounds great. Just one doubt - you said a minimum of 1. What if no-one in a school is applying except for an individual? What is the certainity that the person will be selected for this program?

blueycan

• Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 09:05:13 pm »
TY! It sounds great. Just one doubt - you said a minimum of 1. What if no-one in a school is applying except for an individual? What is the certainity that the person will be selected for this program?

That is also something I want to know, lol. I think I'm the only one who is applying at my school

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 09:34:43 pm »
+2
That is also something I want to know, lol. I think I'm the only one who is applying at my school

I think that makes it certain you get in but I could be wrong