Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:51:10 pm

Author Topic: YR 11: Should I do standard 2 maths? [SCALING]  (Read 5587 times)  Share 

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
YR 11: Should I do standard 2 maths? [SCALING]
« on: July 10, 2019, 07:49:50 pm »
Hello,

I am in Yr 11 and am not achieving high marks (really low) in advanced maths and am confused on whether or not to change to standard 2 maths. I was wondering whether scaling will drastically affect my atar due to the low scaling of standard 2 maths. Other concerns:
  • Get scaled very badly
  • Not being able to get an atar of 90+

Also, at the moment I am not enjoying advanced maths, does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what I should do? and whether the scaling will be really bad?

Cheers,

Coolmate ;D
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

codsta769

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +14
Re: YR 11: Should I do standard 2 maths? [SCALING]
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:25:07 pm »
+1
Probably better off doing Standard Maths if you are already struggling. Rather than ranking last for advanced maths, you would be most likely at the top of standard maths, and therefore would be better off. This is what most people do anyways back when i was in high school when going into year 12 after finishing year 11, about 20 people in my year dropped from advanced to standard because they werent performing well. One of my other friends was on a B4 for advanced but dropped to standard just before trials in year 12 and ended up getting a B6 for it.

Not sure if your school does it, but back when i was in year 10 after the first semester, the school gave us recommendations on what subjects to chose based on semester 1 report results. Maybe take into consideration what your teachers recommend when making your final decision. If you do end up doing advanced maths anyways, you can always drop it after year 11 anyways like my friends did. The work is much easier, and wont be a problem catching up on year 11 work if you are worried about the work being different.
Final year Bachelor of Business Student@ University of Technology Sydney (UTS).
Majors in Marketing and Human Resource Management.

HSC Class of 2017:
Standard English
General Mathematics
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Senior Science
Studies of Religion I

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: YR 11: Should I do standard 2 maths? [SCALING]
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:33:13 pm »
+1
Probably better off doing Standard Maths if you are already struggling. Rather than ranking last for advanced maths, you would be most likely at the top of standard maths, and therefore would be better off. This is what most people do anyways back when i was in high school when going into year 12 after finishing year 11, about 20 people in my year dropped from advanced to standard because they werent performing well. One of my other friends was on a B4 for advanced but dropped to standard just before trials in year 12 and ended up getting a B6 for it.

Not sure if your school does it, but back when i was in year 10 after the first semester, the school gave us recommendations on what subjects to chose based on semester 1 report results. Maybe take into consideration what your teachers recommend when making your final decision. If you do end up doing advanced maths anyways, you can always drop it after year 11 anyways like my friends did. The work is much easier, and wont be a problem catching up on year 11 work if you are worried about the work being different.

Thank you so much for your reply!, I will definitely consider what you have said  ;D
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5