Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:13 pm

Poll

What browser do you use?

Chrome
15 (53.6%)
Safari
3 (10.7%)
Firefox
7 (25%)
Opera
3 (10.7%)
Internet Explorer
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Chrome or any other browser?  (Read 6975 times)  Share 

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Chrome or any other browser?
« on: July 21, 2019, 01:14:45 pm »
+2
Hey y'all,

An old argument, but just interested to know how many people use chrome or any other browser. I've recently switched back to Safari and the battery life on my Mac has immensely increased. Let's say it was 50%, and with using chrome there would be like 1hr left or something extreme like that + the computer fan would be screaming. By switching to safari, I have like 4+ hrs on my Mac + no more issues with the fan. I found out chrome was the issue by looking at the activity monitor.

(BTW bonus tip for increasing the battery life of a Mac: turn off spotlight indexing- you will 100% see a change ;D)
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Chrome or any other browser?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 01:26:08 pm »
+1
I would think given Safari is Apple's primary browser, that Safari would be optimised on the macOS.. hence why you see your battery life increase.

Chrome is a RAM/resource hog (on any device) and hasn't really improved much over the past few years.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 01:49:59 pm »
+1
I also changed back to Safari on Mac and it is a game changer for my battery! It’s a little slower than Chrome but it does the job (although YouTube and Netflix are really unstable)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

brothanathan

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 01:52:28 pm »
+1
Does anyone use Firefox on Mac OS and what's your experience with it (did you automize?)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 01:56:16 pm by brothanathan »

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 02:03:12 pm »
+1
Does anyone use Firefox on Mac OS and what's your experience with it (did you automize?)

Would love to hear someone's take on this. I had a brief stint on Firefox, but I didn't really like it due to the design of the PDF reader and the whole UI in general. I do think that it's great for someone who wants to be secure, as I have heard it has good privacy features.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

brothanathan

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 02:08:07 pm »
+1
Would love to hear someone's take on this. I had a brief stint on Firefox, but I didn't really like it due to the design of the PDF reader and the whole UI in general. I do think that it's great for someone who wants to be secure, as I have heard it has good privacy features.

100% and privacy optimizations don't secure your privacy that much these days or maybe even from the beginning. With the exception of secret service devices, no DLS encryptor or VPN is bullet proof. I stumbled across an encryption service nearly 4 years ago that offered 10 grand protection.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 02:19:19 pm by brothanathan »

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 09:40:30 am »
+1
I would use Firefox but the pesky thing's been slowing down so much, it's barely even handling my tabs and I only have two windows with 495 in one and 130 in the other! I switched computers and moved to Edge instead. I would look at Brave but it's not able to be on my computer, thanks M1 chip.
Edge is pesky in not having vertical tabs, but at least it's handling my tabs better. A lot.
Chrome gets nowhere with me; no easy adblockers? And I'd prefer to know a bit less about how they're handing all my data over to the highest bidder.

(EDIT: Edge now has vertical tabs and I have 2000 tabs in one window and 300 in another and various others. Edge works fine. I like.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 11:17:19 am by The Cat In The Hat »
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 10:25:14 am »
+1
I would use Firefox but the pesky thing's been slowing down so much, it's barely even handling my tabs and I only have two windows with 495 in one and 130 in the other! I switched computers and moved to Edge instead. I would look at Brave but it's not able to be on my computer, thanks M1 chip.
Edge is pesky in not having vertical tabs, but at least it's handling my tabs better. A lot.
Chrome gets nowhere with me; no easy adblockers? And I'd prefer to know a bit less about how they're handing all my data over to the highest bidder.

I've found my focus (and computer performance) improve from intentionally clearing all tabs except those that are directly relevant to my purpose when I start a work/task/study session.  If I really need to access something again, I add it to my structured folders of bookmarks on the bookmarks bar instead.  That makes me choose with intention whether I really want it, and also choose the label/name for the page, making everything much easier to access when I actually need it (whereas tab names are often unclear or irrelevant).
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 11:17:39 am »
I've found my focus (and computer performance) improve from intentionally clearing all tabs except those that are directly relevant to my purpose when I start a work/task/study session.  If I really need to access something again, I add it to my structured folders of bookmarks on the bookmarks bar instead.  That makes me choose with intention whether I really want it, and also choose the label/name for the page, making everything much easier to access when I actually need it (whereas tab names are often unclear or irrelevant).
I can access them when I need them- they're all there! :) ;)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 01:10:33 pm »
I used Chrome for years and only recently made the switch to Edge (although its layout isnt the best for me). Safari's also really good for battery life and overall speed but tbh Chrome is just so useful for gmail users as well since I don't have to worry about seeing that sign-in page every single time.

Kateague

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 12:09:36 am »
I always use Chrome. To be honest, I've never used any other browser. Is there a big difference?