Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:55:11 am

Author Topic: 2019 AA Club - Week 14  (Read 4000 times)

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
2019 AA Club - Week 14
« on: July 29, 2019, 07:53:53 am »
Hi everyone  :)

Not to scare you, but just a friendly reminder  ;) that the countdown has begun until the English exam!! So now I reckon even if you have heaps of SACs for everything else, you should be writing (even if it's just 3 lines) some Analysing Argument practice so you won't forget to polish your skills!

So why not this week, set a goal and say okay 'On this following article, I'm gonna write three lines - a what, how and why!' What I mean is pick a unique metalanguage technique or quote from the text and unpack it by analysing the reader effect. Combine your rephrasing of the author's contention with your reader effect sentence, and there you have it! A rapid, sweet AA practice that'll keep you in touch with AA until a couple of months!!

Abortion is healthcare, not a crime - and at last the law will catch up
By Dr Deborah Bateson - the medical director of Family Planning NSW.

The move by cross-party politicians to overturn NSW’s outdated abortion laws is a cause for celebration, action and unity.

As a doctor working in reproductive and sexual health for almost 20 years, I have cared for countless women seeking an abortion following an unintended pregnancy or a devastating diagnosis for a much-wanted pregnancy. They have come from all walks of life, including teenagers at school, women in their 40s with grown children, or women living in refuges, working on farms or in legal firms.

All have had to navigate a health system that has criminalised their choices based on 119-year-old laws.

The current laws pose a threat of criminal prosecution to women and doctors and serve as a deterrent to doctors providing services. This system all too often can lead to feelings of shame, isolation and stigma – made even worse for women with financial stresses or the need to travel to a city clinic from a country town.

Burdening women in this way dates from a time when women had no rights over choices about their bodies. It is completely out of step with today’s approach to medicine which places individuals’ needs and desires at the centre of healthcare.

Modern abortion care, including the introduction of medical abortion in 2012, has come a long way.  Current abortion care is based on evidence-based advances endorsed by institutions such as the World Health Organisation and the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Abortion is healthcare and it must be treated as such.

In May this year, the NSW Pro-Choice Alliance announced a sustained campaign to end the criminalisation of abortion, and this week the Reproductive Health Care Reform Bill 2019 will be brought to the NSW Parliament.

This move comes with support from the 70 per cent of NSW residents who have said they are ready to see abortion decriminalised, a collective of more than 70 key health, legal, women’s and domestic violence organisations, and from across the political spectrum.

I can sense the relief this news will bring to colleagues who have devoted careers to improving women’s health, and to the women I have been privileged to encounter who have had an abortion themselves and who want to ensure those who require this service in the future can do so with dignity rather than shame.

There is no doubt in my mind that abortion should be treated like any other area of healthcare and be decriminalised. NSW needs to move rapidly to embrace moves to overturn its 119-year-old laws.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image: https://imgur.com/1dMrskQ

All the very best, especially for English!  ;)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

Anonymous

Re: 2019 AA Club - Week 14
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 08:13:56 am »
Hey MissSmiley,
Love the work with AA. I think from this week on I'm going to do at least 20 mins of writing lang anal, as it is definitely my weakest area for English (after receiving a 29/30 for Text Response, I only received a 35/40 for lang anal).

Here's what I've written for the 2006 English exam (just a couple body paragraphs) and would like to see what you think!.
The author of the article employs a large, bolded title in an attempt to immediately capture their readers' attention. "Making Money Work For You" underscores the perceived difficulty that corresponds to financial advice and assistance for "young people:" something so unique yet challenging, that the author can make it "work for you." By acknowledging these challenges, the author strives to establish the notion that they are indeed knowledgeable and experienced in this topic, in an attempt to uphold the readers' trust of the contents within the article.

The writer opens their article by repeating their title in order to reiterate the importance of "mak[ing] money work for you." With the use of a rhetorical question, the writer attempts to not only uphold the credentials of 'Starting Out' in being a safe haven for adolescent financial assistance - implying that her readers "[have] some money" - but also strives to act as a motivational tool in ensuring that her readers continue to seek the assistance of 'Starting Out' in nurturing their financial independence. In inviting their readers to "think of all the things that make [them] happy," the writer attempts to sway the audience in believing that money is truly the only way to achieve happiness. By appealing to the audiences' value for contentment, the writer positions the readers to view money as the only possible means of "achieving" a joyful life, and, by adhering to the "good, sound [and] safe advice" of 'Starting Out,' the readers are able to capture this reality.

Also, I'll be writing a paragraph or so on the article you just posted. But, regarding lang anal, do you have any tips? For instance, would you suggest writing a bank of good linking words, or what not?
Thanks

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 08:30:40 am »
Back again..
The troublesome connotations of the word "criminalised" attempts to uphold the futility, and incompetence, of "119 year old laws" in delegating the life choices of people who come from "all walks of life:" a scathing attack by Bateson on "NSW's outdated abortion laws" in an attempt to position the audience to view "cross-party politicians" as inept and unskilled.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 10:01:16 am »
Deborah Bateson, in light of "NSW's" avowing to overturn prohibitive abortion laws, penned an opinion piece entitled 'Abortion is healthcare, not a crime - and at last the law will catch up', which was latterly published in the Sydney Morning Herald. Engaging a tone of relative incredulity, Bateson disparages the state's regressive legislation pertaining to abortion, contending that such "out-dated" restrictions must be modified in order to ensure "dignity" rather than "shame" with regard to women's health.

From the outset, the author intimates that it is laws, such as the aforementioned, which inhibit societal progression. Embedded within the article's title is the phrase, "at last the law will catch up". With the en dash preceding these words stunting the flow of the sentence, emphasis is placed upon the ensuing words. Through the accentuation of such - particularly on "at last" - Bateson strives to convey the visceral nature of the relief likely to be felt by women "from all walks of life" in New South Wales, for the prospective legislative amendments are to enable free reign with regard to their "bodies". With the discussion arising from abortion rights evidently polarising, the author seemingly intends to bolster her credibility, with "the medical director of Family Planning NSW" written alongside her name. Whilst this is subtle and thus may be overlooked, her proclamation of "as a doctor" seeks to fortify the integrity of her opinions, for they are predicated on "almost 20 years [of experience]" in "reproductive and sexual health". In an attempt to convey both her versatility and objectivity as a health professional, Bateson asserts that she has "cared for countless women...following an unintended pregnancy or a devastating diagnosis". Through the juxtaposition of "unintended" and "devastating" - of which are both likely to engender feelings of sympathy amongst readers, particularly those who have, perhaps, endured the same predicament - Bateson postulates that oft underlying the necessitation of an abortion is immense anguish, irrespective of the ways in which such arose. This is likely to position readers, especially those un- or misinformed about the woes of abortion, to disregard their preconceptions - even momentarily - and thus be more receptive towards Bateson's stressing of the need for social change.

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:31:30 am »
Hey MissSmiley,
Here's what I've written for the 2006 English exam (just a couple body paragraphs) and would like to see what you think!.
Hi!

Great to see you practicing, but would you mind please making a new topic under this thread: (VCE English submission and marking)

https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?board=406.0

and then posting this 2006 exam practice? Just making sure that this AA weekly thread is kept exclusively for analysing these weekly articles.

You'll definitely get some feedback though!

Thanks!  :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 06:43:11 am »
No reply lol