Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:14:40 am

Author Topic: ATAR prediciton/ internal makrs compared to what you actually got  (Read 14841 times)

dani01

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
+1
ok so obviously the closer HSC is getting the more stressed I'm feeling. I would just like to know what marks you guys got internally and then what did you come out with at the end. I'm working really hard rn and my internal marks are not even bad but I'm just worried that I wont get a 90 +
Also usually is your external or internal higher? Or does it vary per person.

I'm just a bit nervous. Can someone please reassure me?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:52:26 pm by dani01 »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: ATAR prediciton/ internal makrs compared to what you actually got
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:39:57 pm »
+6
ok so obviously the closer HSC is getting the more stressed I'm feeling. I would just like to know what marks you guys got internally and then what did you come out with at the end. I'm working really hard rn and my internal marks are not even bad but I'm just worried that I wont get a 90 +

I'm ranked in top 10 for everything but english (18)
My school is ranked highly but I'm just a bit nervous. Can someone please reassure me?
Hey there,

Considering how you're in the top 10 for ranks, I'd say you could still get a 90+ ATAR. While I don't usually encourage people to purely rely on scaling, it can be really helpful if you continuously work hard. For example, in math I would constantly get around 60% in all my assessments and I was ranked 11/30-something people. My internal mark got scaled up to an 80/100 because the fact that I barely scraped a pass and I'm just below in the top 10 ranks kinda shows that my school made a lot of difficult assessments. Another example was that in History Extension, I've never received an E4 level essay (my trials mark was 39/50) but I was ranked 1/5 and my internal mark got scaled to 48/50.

In terms of comparing internal and external marks, it really depends on which one is usually higher. It depends on your internal rank, difficulty of your assessments and the difficulty of the exam. For example, my internal mark for English was 90 but my exam mark was 93 and my HSC mark was 92, in contrast to SOR where my internal mark was 43/50, my exam mark was 40/50 and my HSC mark was 42.

Another thing I'll say is that I received B6's/E4's in 4 subjects: History Extension, Society & Culture, English Advanced and Modern History. Excluding History Extension (since my HSC mark was 48), the other three subjects were low Band 6's (Society & Culture: 93, English Advanced: 92, Modern History: 92), so they scaled me up really nicely and helped me get a 93 ATAR. On the other hand, you could still get a 90+ ATAR with one Band 6. For example, I know someone at uni who got a Band 6 in Mathematics and got a 91 ATAR.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:43:09 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:45:04 pm »
+6

I'm ranked in top 10 for everything but english (18)
My school is ranked highly but I'm just a bit nervous. Can someone please reassure me?
Oh you'll be fine. The HSC exam is nothing 'special'. You've done it all before in your trials, you just need to do it once more. As long as your prepared, you can answer anything they throw at you! It's just like another 'trial' exam but it's worth more.

People usually get stressed leading up to the HSC exam but after your first exam your kinda like "Oh is that it?". I certainly was. My internal marks for English were all in the 60s and when I saw the HSC exam I realised this is actually the same as everything I had done so far, and moderation took care of my internals which gave me an 85 in the end.

After that I was confident heading into all my exams. It's just like any other exam you've sat before, once you flip through a few pages you realise it's not that bad after all.

What I've said applies to everything BUT Maths Ext 2 lol

As for the differences between Internals and externals, the biggest difference for me were English and Software Design and Development.

Internals(trials):
English: 68%
Software: 83%

HSC:
English: 85%
Software: 96%

Anyway good luck for the HSC from me and AN, go and smash it! =)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:47:00 pm by DrDusk »

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:20:55 pm »
As for the differences between Internals and externals, the biggest difference for me were English and Software Design and Development.

Internals(trials):
English: 68%
Software: 83%

HSC:
English: 85%
Software: 96%

Anyway good luck for the HSC from me and AN, go and smash it! =)

Hey DrDusk! ;D

Just following on from what you were saying, does this mean that your internal marks can get scaled up? (Essentially, they are not locked in place once you get them and they are not final?) :D

Also, I have another question (Random question :))), say if someone got 90's+ in every subject but like around the high 50's or low 60's for one subject, would this person still be able to get an atar over 95, even if that subject does not have the best mark?

Thanks in advance! :D

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 09:33:14 pm »
+2
Hey DrDusk! ;D

Just following on from what you were saying, does this mean that your internal marks can get scaled up? (Essentially, they are not locked in place once you get them and they are not final?) :D
Of course they're not final =). This is because NESA has to give everyone a fair chance. Like for example how can NESA guarantee that everyone's internal exams were of the same difficulty? Sometimes some school have exams that are much easier than other schools. NESA therefore 'modifies' your internal marks depending on how your cohort performs in the external exam. This is known as 'Moderation'.

For example lets say everyone in your school was getting 60's in HSC Physics, and your teacher sends marks in the range of 60's to NESA. However in the external it turns out everyone in your cohort actually get's in the 90s or close to it. This means the exams at your school were really hard compared to the rest of the state because clearly you seemed to ace it in the externals. Your internal mark will therefore be 'moderated' up to match those 90's in the externals!

Also, I have another question (Random question :))), say if someone got 90's+ in every subject but like around the high 50's or low 60's for one subject, would this person still be able to get an atar over 95, even if that subject does not have the best mark?
As for this it really depends. For example I was getting 60's in English and my final mark was 85 but I still got a 95+ atar. It really depends on your subjects because the rest of my subjects being 4u Maths and Physics etc were really high scaling so they had more 'value' when it came to atar contribution. Ideally for a 95+ atar you would need most likely a bare minimum 80 or so in that 'one subject' or else you would literally need to be getting mid 90s in the rest of your subjects.

Just as an example I will give you how much some of my Internals got 'moderated' up by.

My Internals for English were in the 60's but my final internal mark was 85.
My Internals for Software were in the low 80's but my final internal got moderated up to a 95.

So it really depends on how much your marks can increase, and in fact in the case of your exams being really easy, they can even decrease! Mine increased because my English exams were marked REALLY hard and my Software exams were REALLY difficult. I knew it as soon as I saw the HSC exam and kinda thought "is that it?"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:37:26 pm by DrDusk »

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 09:46:26 pm »
+1
Of course they're not final =). This is because NESA has to give everyone a fair chance. Like for example how can NESA guarantee that everyone's internal exams were of the same difficulty? Sometimes some school have exams that are much easier than other schools. NESA therefore 'modifies' your internal marks depending on how your cohort performs in the external exam. This is known as 'Moderation'.

For example lets say everyone in your school was getting 60's in HSC Physics, and your teacher sends marks in the range of 60's to NESA. However in the external it turns out everyone in your cohort actually get's in the 90s or close to it. This means the exams at your school were really hard compared to the rest of the state because clearly you seemed to ace it in the externals. Your internal mark will therefore be 'moderated' up to match those 90's in the externals!
As for this it really depends. For example I was getting 60's in English and my final mark was 85 but I still got a 95+ atar. It really depends on your subjects because the rest of my subjects being 4u Maths and Physics etc were really high scaling so they had more 'value' when it came to atar contribution. Ideally for a 95+ atar you would need most likely a bare minimum 80 or so in that 'one subject' or else you would literally need to be getting mid 90s in the rest of your subjects.

Just as an example I will give you how much some of my Internals got 'moderated' up by.

My Internals for English were in the 60's but my final internal mark was 85.
My Internals for Software were in the low 80's but my final internal got moderated up to a 95.

So it really depends on how much your marks can increase, and in fact in the case of your exams being really easy, they can even decrease! Mine increased because my English exams were marked REALLY hard and my Software exams were REALLY difficult. I knew it as soon as I saw the HSC exam and kinda thought "is that it?"

Hey DrDusk :D

Thanks for the really great detailed reply, this will definetly help me for year 12 coming up! ;D I knew the whole process was complex and intricate, but I did not realise just how intricate it was! ;D

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

phungies

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 06:51:00 pm »
Wait... so if the yr 12s in my school do pretty bad in the HSC exams, does that mean my internal marks will be scaled down? :(

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 07:05:34 pm »
+1
Wait... so if the yr 12s in my school do pretty bad in the HSC exams, does that mean my internal marks will be scaled down? :(
Depends.

For example let's say your a really good student in Maths ext 1 and your getting 90s whereas everyone in your grade is getting 70s to 80s. They won't have any affect on your score if your ranked first, because if everyone else isn't that good and your awesome then you would be ranked first.

However if your rank is low in a school where the year 12's aren't that great compared to other schools then of course your internals will get scaled down. You may be ranked like top 10 in that school but if you were to go to Baulkham Hills high for example, you'll probably not even make top 50, so really your not doing that great compared to the rest of the state

Just remember at the end of the day if your hardworking and do well in your exams, no other student can influence your score.

Best of luck for the HSC from all of us on AN!

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 07:12:38 pm »
Depends.

For example let's say your a really good student in Maths ext 1 and your getting 90s whereas everyone in your grade is getting 70s to 80s. They won't have any affect on your score if your ranked first, because if everyone else isn't that good and your awesome then you would be ranked first.

However if your rank is low in a school where the year 12's aren't that great compared to other schools then of course your internals will get scaled down. You may be ranked like top 10 in that school but if you were to go to Baulkham Hills high for example, you'll probably not even make top 50, so really your not doing that great compared to the rest of the state

Just remember at the end of the day if your hardworking and do well in your exams, no other student can influence your score.

Best of luck for the HSC from all of us on AN!

In regards to what you said, lets say Im first in english but in my actual hsc exam I am ranked fourth. What would happen to my marks? Will my internal mark get dragged down?

Secondly, do you think it's possible I can still get an 80+ atar with my internal marks being a 75 at the moment (I put them in an atar calculator)? Im ranked top 5 in most of my subjects but I go to a pretty bad school haha

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 08:24:13 pm »
+1
In regards to what you said, lets say Im first in english but in my actual hsc exam I am ranked fourth. What would happen to my marks? Will my internal mark get dragged down?
In this case your Internal mark will be the highest external mark obtained by someone in your cohort. So say your first with an internal average of 80% and in the actual HSC exam you get a mark of 70%. Now suppose the person who is first gets a mark of 75%, in that case your 80% will turn into a 75% because that is the highest mark obtained in your cohort.

As for the 80+ atar I'm really not sure, it very largely depends on what subject's your taking.

Shaffy33

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 01:19:11 pm »
My school is ranked like 89th in the state as well.
Subjects:-
Business Studies:- 60/100 Rank:- 64/114
Economics:- 72/100 Rank:- 9/17
Legal Studies:- 65/100 Rank:- 78/88
Maths Standard 2:- 63/100 Rank:- 82/146
Standard English:- 61/100 Rank:- 61/124

Above average for all subjects except Legal Studies.
I really want an ATAR of 80, is that still reasonably possible for me?