Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:03:02 am

Author Topic: Optometry  (Read 6951 times)  Share 

mal42

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Optometry
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:29:15 am »
What would the 2019 atar cut off for Deakin Optometry be?

I'm a HSC student and might get an atar between 90-94.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:40:32 am by mal42 »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Optometry
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:33:01 pm »
+3
Previously, the stats have been quite variable for Deakin Optometry (both the normal and the regional/ rural stream).

For the record, the past two years* have seen the normal course needing a minimum of 89.50 ATAR (unadjusted) and a median of 96-something (averaged, unadjusted). Deakin currently says that the Bachelor of Vision Science/ Master of Optometry has an entry ATAR estimate of 95.1.

* Two years ago, we switched to the “selection rank” system, but previously had the “clearly-in ATAR” system. The previous clearly-in ATAR was somewhere in the 97s- late 98s with around a quarter to a half of the cohort achieving under it.

My guess is that, if you want to get in fairly comfortably, a 96 ATAR (unadjusted) would likely get you there. However, if you are either (a) going for the regional/rural stream or (b) feel OK with risking it slightly, then a 90+ ATAR (unadjusted) will be alright (allowing for more demand/ less available places).

Note that there may be more adjustments made since you’re from NSW (I assume) and did the HSC.

If you plan to apply via VTAC and haven’t done so already, then you really ought to apply soon. Otherwise, you have until Feb 23, 2020 to apply to Deakin directly.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

mal42

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:10:51 pm »
Thank you for the reply, appreciate it @AngelWings.

(b) feel OK with risking it slightly, then a 90+ ATAR (unadjusted) will be alright (allowing for more demand/ less available places).
Ugh such a risk, not sure how the adjustments at Deakin work. Since UNSW both a Bachelor of VisSc or a Bachelor of VisSc/Masters in Optom do not offer any adjustments.

Note that there may be more adjustments made since you’re from NSW (I assume) and did the HSC.
I'm from NSW you assumed correct. I do hope I can get in and if they consider me being from NSW, I screwed up my atar (maths), I had completed accelerated HSC Biology last year and gotten a b6 (90) whilst doing the rest of my subjects this year (chemistry - predicted b5, business studies - predicted b6, english advanced - predicted b6 and advanced maths - a possible b5 but maths really screwed my internal ranks up).

A friend of mine graduated from the same school with a 91 and got into Deakin Optom but this was in 2015, so the atar cut-off has increased since then.

If you plan to apply via VTAC and haven’t done so already, then you really ought to apply soon. Otherwise, you have until Feb 23, 2020 to apply to Deakin directly.
Yeah, I've applied via VTAC.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:19:29 pm by mal42 »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 10:15:55 pm »
+1
A friend of mine graduated from the same school with a 91 and got into Deakin Optom but this was in 2015, so the atar cut-off has increased since then.
A cut off is slightly different to selection rank and clearly-in ATARs, in that cut offs are final. Our equivalent would be the minimum ATAR (the unadjusted ATAR), which your predicted range is above, assuming that it stays similar to the past couple of years. I used the median ATAR in my estimate above, so there’s actually a fair chance that you’ll get in if you score as predicted and the HSC ATAR is equivalent to the VCE ATAR (as in they’ll use whatever ATAR you receive exactly as is + add any adjustments as  Deakin believe you’re eligible for). By the way, forgot to explain, adjustments are usually via SEAS (special consideration), which is kind of similar to the EAS scheme associated with the UAC in NSW, if my understanding is correct.

Yeah, I've applied via VTAC.
Good to hear! :)

The chances of you getting in will ultimately depend mostly on whether they have an available place for you and if your selection rank (adjusted ATAR) is competitive enough to garner a spot.

Hope that makes sense.
VTAC Info Thread

mal42

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 04:13:49 pm »
By the way, forgot to explain, adjustments are usually via SEAS (special consideration), which is kind of similar to the EAS scheme associated with the UAC in NSW, if my understanding is correct.

Would this include like subject adjustments? Like doing relevant course subjects like biology or chem and getting above a certain mark i.e 90+ or whatever. And having that contribute to like plus 1 atar bonus or anything?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 08:34:26 pm »
Would this include like subject adjustments? Like doing relevant course subjects like biology or chem and getting above a certain mark i.e 90+ or whatever. And having that contribute to like plus 1 atar bonus or anything?
Probably, but I’m not sure whether it applies to interstate applicants, like yourself, and how your scores would translate, if it does. This is what I dug up for Deakin Optometry via VTAC Course Search:

Note that the above is written in the context of VCE for Victorian applicants, and our states have different ways of calculating ATARs, so subject marks won’t translate directly from HSC to VCE. (Also, it wouldn’t be attached directly to your ATAR, but the aggregate, which is different.)

If you’re up to it, you could probably contact Deakin or VTAC about how things would translate across the state border for you, including subject bonuses.
VTAC Info Thread

mal42

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 04:32:51 am »
Yeah I saw that on the vtac course site thing too. And I think it should translate from my hsc scores to vce according to this: https://www.vtac.edu.au/pdf/interstate-scoring-conversion.pdf

And I think my family friend did mention that “she did well in English ie 90+ (43)” and that boosted her but I don’t rmbr this conversation clearly as it was a while ago.

Also yeah aggregate not really bonus atar points leading to selection rank like uac.

And yeah I should probably contact Deakin since it’s the holidays and I’ve got time lol.

I’m also kinda confused when vtac offer rounds start pretty sure it’s December 18th but that’s only for Victoria and Queensland?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:36:48 am by mal42 »