Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:10:02 am

Author Topic: UAC Preferences  (Read 4869 times)

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
UAC Preferences
« on: December 06, 2019, 04:54:38 pm »
Hey everyone,

I also posted this on the Uni Stuff board but I thought I'd post it here as well just in case this is a better board to consult!

I'm a bit confused with how Uni offers work in terms of UAC preferences. Essentially, my top four preferences are for Medicine courses which have no guaranteed ATAR but rather also rely on performance across interviews, UCAT, etc. My fifth preference is a backup - a Bachelor of Science degree with an associated guaranteed ATAR. I was just wondering, when first round offers are released, provided my ATAR is above the minimum required for guaranteed entry, will I be given an offer for my fifth preference? Or is it too low a preference for me to actually receive an offer?

What's the best way to set up my preferences given that entry into Medicine relies on a range of factors outside of ATAR?

Any assistance is really greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 05:18:47 pm by louisaaa01 »
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: UAC Preferences
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 04:57:42 pm »
+1
You'll receive your 5th preference assuming you don't get your top 4. Qualifying for guaranteed entry will ensure you will get that one at the very least.

(Assuming you have guaranteed entry, the only time you won't get your 5th preference will be when you've qualified for one of the four previous ones.)

louisaaa01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 05:01:12 pm »
You'll receive your 5th preference assuming you don't get your top 4. Qualifying for guaranteed entry will ensure you will get that one at the very least.

(Assuming you have guaranteed entry, the only time you won't get your 5th preference will be when you've qualified for one of the four previous ones.)

Hi Rui,
Thank you so much for your response. Just wondering, say I get a medical interview offer for one of my higher preferences - does this mean I can't get an offer for my 5th preference even if I get the ATAR?

2020 - 2026

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 05:05:05 pm »
+1
Hi Rui,
Thank you so much for your response. Just wondering, say I get a medical interview offer for one of my higher preferences - does this mean I can't get an offer for my 5th preference even if I get the ATAR?
Yep.

They go down the list. They stop the instant they find the first one you qualify for. You're not considered for later preferences when you did get an offer for an earlier one.

(Which is why you do need to give at least some thought into which preferences come first on UAC.)

louisaaa01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 05:14:17 pm »
Yep.

They go down the list. They stop the instant they find the first one you qualify for. You're not considered for later preferences when you did get an offer for an earlier one.

(Which is why you do need to give at least some thought into which preferences come first on UAC.)

Right, thanks - this really clarifies things! So to safeguard myself since entry into Medicine is not guaranteed just because a person receives an interview offer, in the case that I do receive an interview offer, could I potentially move the Medicine course down to a lower preference and move the guaranteed ATAR course up to my first preference (to ensure I receive an offer in a later round)? Are Medical interview offers dependent on preference number like guaranteed entry courses are?

I really apologise for the number of questions - UAC preferences was just something I've been a bit confused by and something that has never really been explained to me!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 05:30:12 pm by louisaaa01 »

2020 - 2026

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 05:45:16 pm »
+3
Right, thanks - this really clarifies things! So to safeguard myself since entry into Medicine is not guaranteed just because a person receives an interview offer, in the case that I do receive an interview offer, could I potentially move the Medicine course down to a lower preference and move the guaranteed ATAR course up to my first preference (to ensure I receive an offer in a later round)? Are Medical interview offers dependent on preference number like guaranteed entry courses are?

I really apologise for the number of questions - UAC preferences was just something I've been a bit confused by and something that has never really been explained to me!
Fairly sure UNSW's guaranteed entry scheme applies to only the first round of offers. You'd be playing a game of chance with the second round. (At least that's my understanding of guaranteed entry; it may be a bit flawed.)

(But being at least a bit realistic, if you did make it into medicine, it's likely you'd still have made the cut for the second round for the B Science degree. Obviously that's not something I can say for every degree though.)