Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:08:02 am

Author Topic: Iconic Aussie Foods  (Read 1796 times)  Share 

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Iconic Aussie Foods
« on: January 07, 2020, 06:14:20 pm »
+6
Hi all! I need some help :)

This year a German exchange student spent a couple weeks at my school and I was her little school buddy who showed her around and she joined all of my classes. I want to send her a Christmas gift (I know its really late, but I only just got her details so I can send packages).

So far, I have bought her an Aussie slang book - because I spent a lot of time teaching her slang while she was here in Aus and it was good fun ;D (she also taught me how to say some tricky German words - I'm still getting the hang of Eichhörnchen tho ;D) Anywho, I was hoping to also send her some iconic Aussie lollies/biscuits/etc.

But I don't know what I want to send her and what I can send her. All I know is that I don't want to send her TimTams because her Australian host family recently sent her 4 packets.

I need some help thinking of the iconic foods :) (also, does anyone know where I can find the regulations regarding what food items can be sent to Germany because I'm having a hard time finding anything)

QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
Re: Iconic Aussie Foods
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 06:37:37 pm »
+7
Hey!

Just off the top of my head here are a few suggestions:
- Iced vovo
- Anzac biscuits
- Shapes
- Freddos
- Red skins
- Twisties
- Fantales

As for the regulations i'm not sure. After brief googling I found this link https://www.parcelhero.com/blog/expert-shipping-advice/the-dos-and-donts-of-sending-food-parcels-abroad
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 06:41:19 pm »
+7
Just a few extra suggestions:

- Tim Tams
- Caramello Koalas
- Possibly vegemite? (personally not a fan)

All these are bloody amazing as well :)
- Iced vovo
- Anzac biscuits
- Shapes
- Freddos
- Red skins
- Twisties
- Fantales
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 06:45:05 pm »
+5
Hey!

Just off the top of my head here are a few suggestions:
- Iced vovo
- Anzac biscuits
- Shapes
- Freddos
- Red skins
- Twisties
- Fantales

As for the regulations i'm not sure. After brief googling I found this link https://www.parcelhero.com/blog/expert-shipping-advice/the-dos-and-donts-of-sending-food-parcels-abroad

Ahh yes!! Iced vovo!!! Probably my favourite Arnott's biscuit right there ;D
Thank you! :)

Just a few extra suggestions:

- Tim Tams
- Caramello Koalas
- Possibly vegemite? (personally not a fan)

haha she wasn't a fan of vegemite either ;D
Thanks! :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 06:47:07 pm »
+8
- A small tin of milo
- Shapes
- Locally sourced chocolate
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 06:49:04 pm »
+6
Pods! Apparently they aren't available anywhere else in the world  :o
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 06:57:50 pm »
+6
- A small tin of milo
- Shapes
- Locally sourced chocolate

Good ideas! Thank you :)

Pods! Apparently they aren't available anywhere else in the world  :o

What!?!?  :o That has to be such a rough existence to not have pods! Thank you for the suggestion :)

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 07:01:28 pm »
+7
Hey K.Smithy!

AFAIK, you should be able to mail food as long as it is non-perishable (won't spoil during transit). There are other things you can and cannot import to Germany in this customs link which I think applies to sending food as gifts as well.
Many Australian foods like fairy bread and meat pies cannot be sent over, but foods such as Vegemite, packaged biscuits, cake mixes, chips/crisps can be sent, as long as they have not passed their use-by date. :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 07:06:19 pm »
+3
Hey K.Smithy!

AFAIK, you should be able to mail food as long as it is non-perishable (won't spoil during transit). There are other things you can and cannot import to Germany in this customs link which I think applies to sending food as gifts as well.
Many Australian foods like fairy bread and meat pies cannot be sent over, but foods such as Vegemite, packaged biscuits, cake mixes, chips/crisps can be sent, as long as they have not passed their use-by date. :)

Awesome! Thank you so much for the insight :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 07:26:38 pm »
+9
There is already a pretty good list but if you want to add some more obscure ones you should check out videos of people from other countries "reacting to" and eating Australian snacks for the first time on youtube.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 08:32:01 pm »
+6
Just a little update :)

A package from my little German friend arrived today, and it is so cute!
Cute German package :)

It is filled with some Christmassy German treats - chocolate coated almonds, gingerbread and some kinder chocolate. She also wrote me the nicest card - she is honestly one of the sweetest human beings I've ever met! (So I'm now planning a trip to Germany for the end of 2021 so I can visit her and experience the German culture - which will be nice because I have German heritage)

I've settled on the iconic Aussie treats that I will be sending her. I have decided to send a packet of assorted Arnott's biscuits (all the classics ;D), fun sized mars bars, and wizz fizz (as well as the good ol' Aussie Slang book :)). I will be sending the package tomorrow. For now, I have to write a nice card to go with the package :D

Thanks guys! :)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 08:43:31 pm »
+2
Just a little update :)

A package from my little German friend arrived today, and it is so cute!
Cute German package :)

It is filled with some Christmassy German treats - chocolate coated almonds, gingerbread and some kinder chocolate. She also wrote me the nicest card - she is honestly one of the sweetest human beings I've ever met! (So I'm now planning a trip to Germany for the end of 2021 so I can visit her and experience the German culture - which will be nice because I have German heritage)

I've settled on the iconic Aussie treats that I will be sending her. I have decided to send a packet of assorted Arnott's biscuits (all the classics ;D), fun sized mars bars, and wizz fizz (as well as the good ol' Aussie Slang book :)). I will be sending the package tomorrow. For now, I have to write a nice card to go with the package :D

Thanks guys! :)

Wow! That's awesome K.Smithy! :D Those German treats do sound pretty delicious and the Aussie foods you've chosen are awesome classics that I'm sure your friend will enjoy ;D
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 01:09:12 am »
+3
Hiya!

I hope this isn't too late but I had the same question when I had a French exchange student staying with us. This is what we found to be iconic in Aus:

-Lamingtons!
-Tim Tams (omg this is a must - I've never met someone who didn't like them) I'd say double coat is a classic (it's just the original but superior imo haha) as well as maybe some niche flavours.
-This one is random but chocolate/ yogurt covered raisins or sultanas. She loved sultanas because apparently they don't really have them over there.
- Vegemite is hit or miss. They may already have a vendetta against it. If you gift it, you need to attach instructions on how to eat it hahahah
- Random lollies like fantales, red frogs (and Allens in general), Snack chocolate bars, Natural Confectionary etc. are all Aussie I think
- Maybe tell them how to make fairy bread haha my exchange loved trying it when she visited a French class at my school

Another random one was T2 lamington tea or novelty Aussie teas from T2. My exchange loved it and asked for more hahah

Hope this helps!
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D