Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 06:58:39 pm

Author Topic: Section 3 GAMSAT  (Read 4482 times)  Share 

lace02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Section 3 GAMSAT
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:24:39 pm »
Hey all!

I'm going to be starting uni this year and am planning to study BSc at USYD. I was wondering if the required science knowledge for section three of the GAMSAT exam will be covered within the core units of the degree or would selecting certain majors/minors be necessary to cover the needed content?

Thanks in advance :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Section 3 GAMSAT
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:33:26 pm »
Hey all!

I'm going to be starting uni this year and am planning to study BSc at USYD. I was wondering if the required science knowledge for section three of the GAMSAT exam will be covered within the core units of the degree or would selecting certain majors/minors be necessary to cover the needed content?

Thanks in advance :)
Whether your degree covers the "required" knowledge will depend on what subjects you complete within the course.

In general, ACER recommend that students have knowledge of 1st-year Biology and Chemistry along with knowledge of Year 12 physics.

lace02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:44:01 am »
Thank you for the reply Sine!

So does this mean that the core units in BSc at USYD do not include 1st year bio and chem? I'm having a lot of trouble navigating the uni handbook to find the core unit for the course?

Essentially I'm planning to do a major in Nutrition Science and a minor in Economics. So would my major cover the required content that may be testing in the GAMSAT exam. I did physics and chem for the HSC so only learning bio and 1st year chem are of concern.

Thanks once again :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 11:44:47 am »
Thank you for the reply Sine!

So does this mean that the core units in BSc at USYD do not include 1st year bio and chem? I'm having a lot of trouble navigating the uni handbook to find the core unit for the course?

Essentially I'm planning to do a major in Nutrition Science and a minor in Economics. So would my major cover the required content that may be testing in the GAMSAT exam. I did physics and chem for the HSC so only learning bio and 1st year chem are of concern.

Thanks once again :)
No problem!

What units are you doing for your first year at Usyd (preferably your compulsory units)? I am not too familiar with the BSc at Usyd 😊
I must also say that these are “recommendations” some people complete the GAMSAT and do well without these as they are testing “Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences” so having the knowledge doesn’t automatically result in a good score. You need to be quite strong in problem-solving. However, having the knowledge does help a lot especially if they chuck you a wall of text – if you already know the content it becomes easier to read and you can read it quite quickly. Someone from a non-science background if not prepared would struggle more for time and understanding of what is being asked.

Happy to answer any more questions you have :)