Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:11:44 pm

Author Topic: GPAs at Different Unis for Medicine Entry  (Read 1126 times)  Share 

ddvv

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
GPAs at Different Unis for Medicine Entry
« on: January 18, 2020, 07:31:43 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew if your GPA was weighted the same from every Australian university when taken into account for postgraduate medicine entry (eg Is a 6.0 out of 7 at UQ the same as a 6.0 out of 7 at Melbourne uni when used for your application, or are they converted differently)? Thank you!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: GPAs at Different Unis for Medicine Entry
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 07:40:31 pm »
+4
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew if your GPA was weighted the same from every Australian university when taken into account for postgraduate medicine entry (eg Is a 6.0 out of 7 at UQ the same as a 6.0 out of 7 at Melbourne uni when used for your application, or are they converted differently)? Thank you!
There isn't always a simple calculation to convert your university GPA to your application GPA. They look at your scores in each of your subjects to calculate your GPA which for certain units can be the exact same as your university GPA.

Have a read through this PDF from GEMSAS which outlines how your GPA is calculated. (especially the last 2 pages which shows what scores in each uni is associated with what GPA).
http://gemsas.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/How-to-calculate-your-GPA.pdf

ddvv

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 03:50:12 pm »
There isn't always a simple calculation to convert your university GPA to your application GPA. They look at your scores in each of your subjects to calculate your GPA which for certain units can be the exact same as your university GPA.

Have a read through this PDF from GEMSAS which outlines how your GPA is calculated. (especially the last 2 pages which shows what scores in each uni is associated with what GPA).
http://gemsas.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/How-to-calculate-your-GPA.pdf

Thank you for the information Sine - I read through it but I am still slightly confused with the last two pages as it says only to use the conversion table where no subject results are available? My understanding is that the unis don't give percentages for each subject, so GEMSAS convert your letter grade for each subject to a GPA grade, and the cutoffs for different unis on the table are higher/lower because of the complexity of the content or factors similar to this?

My main concern is that I must choose between biomed courses at different unis, but have heard some courses are harder and more  harshly marked than the others. I want to choose a course that would allow me to maintain a high GPA but I wanted to know if they were scaled differently to allow for harder content etc. or whether it would be better to choose the easier course.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 04:11:19 pm »
+3
Universities generally do give you an actual score associated with your letter grade.

As for your concern between choosing courses – Yes doing an easy course will make it easier for you to get a higher GPA and doing more difficult courses that are harshly marked will likely give an average person a lower GPA. Whether this is the optimal way of choosing a course is up to you – imo I wouldn’t be choosing stuff based on how easy it is tbh.

As for the last 2 pages of the PDF – consider the University of Adelaide. Scoring an 82 is a distinction for their scoring system but GEMSAS will still allocate you a 7.0 for that subject.