Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:27:21 am

Author Topic: Bridging Courses  (Read 4427 times)

lace02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Bridging Courses
« on: January 26, 2020, 08:56:15 am »
Hey all!

I've enrolled in a major which has a heavy focus on both chemistry and biology at USYD. However, I only studied chemistry in my HSC not biology. So I was thinking to attend the USYD biology bridging course. I was wondering if that is 'necessary' to do or if it is not worth it.

Also if someone has attended USYD's bridging courses then I was wondering how exactly they work and if many people actually attend the course.

Thanks  :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Bridging Courses
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 03:59:39 pm »
+3
Hey all!

I've enrolled in a major which has a heavy focus on both chemistry and biology at USYD. However, I only studied chemistry in my HSC not biology. So I was thinking to attend the USYD biology bridging course. I was wondering if that is 'necessary' to do or if it is not worth it.

Also if someone has attended USYD's bridging courses then I was wondering how exactly they work and if many people actually attend the course.

Thanks  :)

Hey, lace02!

Congratulations on your offer and successfully enrolling into USYD! I didn't complete any bridging courses for my degree but I'm currently studying one that did have assumed knowledge. I can say for certain that the university really does assume that you've done that level of learning and will only briefly revise the content before going straight into the more complex work, if not just jumping in straight from the start altogether. I would say that if your major and/degree has listed biology as assumed knowledge that you should do it. As most people I've met at uni who have been through them have said, it's not necessary, but it's highly recommended.

These courses are designed to give you the fundamentals and foundational knowledge to set you up for tertiary study in that subject area. Based on what the website has said, you'll be attending lectures, workshops and labs to grasp what biology will be like in your first year. You'll get to meet people who might be studying the same major as you and covering the essentials for your course so I don't see why you wouldn't attend  :) If you want to read more about it, this page was where I got this information from. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:57:15 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music