Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:13:37 am

Author Topic: I need advice from everyone, anything would be appreciated thank you,please read  (Read 1102 times)  Share 

Shxh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
I am currently 14 years old, year 9, and I am hoping to pursue medicine, which I know requires a 98-99 atar (99.90 for chancellors scholarship) and the UCAT of course and the interview. However, I am also an amateur golden gloves.s boxer, I love the sport, but recently, especially in sparring sessions, i get a HUGE, unbearable, headache straight after. And I just forget to do my tasks on time all of a sudden. I used to be the type of student any strict parent would want. But my only issue is that my favourite sport, boxing may be causing brain damage. It will deteriorate in the future. And if I mention in my medicine interview that “I was a boxing champion” lmao that would get me no where.

What do you guys think? Should I quit boxing, even though my record is pretty solid for a junior golden gloves boy. Or should I just try to figure something out?

Thanks for reading

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
I would say seek a medical professional's opinion if you've been getting these headaches. Speak to your GP and they can refer you off to a neurologist or the like. Concussions in sport are really serious, especially at a young age - seeking an expert's advice is the best option, I think :)

Shxh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
I would say seek a medical professional's opinion if you've been getting these headaches. Speak to your GP and they can refer you off to a neurologist or the like. Concussions in sport are really serious, especially at a young age - seeking an expert's advice is the best option, I think :)
I will certainly do that, thank you so much. But do you think I should quit boxing? I have one TKO on my record (Technical knock out) its not something really big but it is impressive for a golden gloves junior. I genuinely like the sport, but I dont know if medicine and boxing can go hand in hand.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Medicine may be special to you, but to others, it's just another uni course. I like to remind myself of this so I don't get too carried away when I ask myself if I can do x alongside medicine. The answer is usually yes. The only reason I would stop boxing is if it is causing medical problems. Like K888 said, please do get it checked out if it is impacting you negatively! It's really important to be doing extra-curriculars that you like, and you shouldn't just be doing things to include in the interview. This will end up being counter-productive. Being a boxing champion will get you somewhere, believe me, especially if it's something you truly enjoy. You also have a very long way to go before year 12, so I wouldn't be worrying about interviews/UCAT/ATAR for now, but it's really great you're already thinking about that stuff - it shows you are really keen :).

FYI, interviewers in the interview don't expect school-leavers to have extensive experience with doctors and hospitals. Some experience would be great, but people have gotten in without it. They are mainly looking for experience where you have faced different situations and how you might have dealt with them, or what you learnt from it.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Basically going to agree with everything whys and K888 has said. Definitely go see a professional and get their outlook on it when you are making any health-related decisions. As for the education side of it whatever you do in the future whether that is a university course or anything else it is important to get an idea on how boxing in the long term may impact your health. In addition to getting seen for headaches after sparring.