Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:40:56 am

Author Topic: Abstract reasoning  (Read 942 times)

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
Abstract reasoning
« on: April 05, 2020, 09:39:09 pm »
Does anybody have any tips when finding the pattern in abstract reasoning questions? I completely blank out and can rarely find it, and then when I look at the worked solution, I don't even feel like 'oh, I would've done that'. Thanks guys :))

futuredoc

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Abstract reasoning
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 10:44:44 pm »
+3
Hi there!

For AR, it's really down to practise and being exposed to different patterns when doing questions. I also found AR quite difficult when studying, but the AR questions I got on the actual test were much simpler. I know some people like using acronyms, e.g. SCANS (Shape, Colour, Angle/Arrangement, Number and Symmetry) to remind themselves of patterns. I personally liked to write down every new pattern I was exposed to in a list, and reviewed this regularly.
Another thing you can do is watch people on youtube, e.g. Kharma Medic (aka the UCAT lord) work through practise questions and get an idea of what thought processes go into answering these questions.
As you do more questions, you'll notice that there are common patterns that often pop up (e.g. number of intersections).

Hope that helps :)
2018- Psychology (48)
2019- Methods (42), Spesh, Chemistry (48), Biology (47), English Language (46)
ATAR: 99.80
2020-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
Re: Abstract reasoning
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 09:35:51 am »
Thank you so much, those tips were really helpful!