Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:38:57 pm

Author Topic: Using the calculator  (Read 3035 times)

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
Using the calculator
« on: April 12, 2020, 09:28:55 pm »
Does anybody have any tips when using the ucat calculator? I often take too long using it and I waste a lot of time there. Thanks :)

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: Using the calculator
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 01:02:07 pm »
+4
Hey interessant. I hope you're well. I'm not sure which specific tips you need so I'll just be saying stuff I learnt.
This video explains a lot of the tips I learnt! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXab9uqFpzU

So, I'm not sure if you know about the MRC, M- and M+ buttons on the calculator, but they are really helpful in saving time for future calculations. The MRC button allows you store a specific value that you may need to use in future questions so you just click it after you've calculated or typed the desired number. This saves time, rather than having to write the value down and then typing it all over again into the calculator.
Also, people have suggested doing mental maths in your head wherever possible instead of typing out ALL the calculations so that way, so you save time . Obviously, this is more applicable to the questions that only require easier math.
Another tip is to use the number pad on the right-hand side of the keyboard rather than using the mouse to click on the buttons on the calculator. This saves time. However, I'm not sure if all centres have the keyboards with the number pad on the side so you need to be wary about it.

I've been struggling with using the calculator as well but through practise, I'm sure it'll be easier to navigate the calculator as you're more used to where the buttons are and what their functions are.

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:02 pm »
+2
Thank you so much Evolio! I always wondered what the MRC button did, but never bothered finding out, so thank you :)

A.Rose

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:19:28 am »
Hi!
I'm doing my UCAT test this year and I just have a question about the calculator. I have heard that it is useful to use 'Num lock' so you can type the numbers on your keyboard. But I am not sure how to enable Num lock on my computer and how will I know how to do it on the computers in my real test?
My laptop is a Dell Latitude 3380 if anyone knows how to turn on Num lock on a dell laptop but I can find out online otherwise. But how will I know how to do it on the test day - will I have to ask someone how to do it?
Thanks!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:40:15 am »
+3
Hi!
I'm doing my UCAT test this year and I just have a question about the calculator. I have heard that it is useful to use 'Num lock' so you can type the numbers on your keyboard. But I am not sure how to enable Num lock on my computer and how will I know how to do it on the computers in my real test?
My laptop is a Dell Latitude 3380 if anyone knows how to turn on Num lock on a dell laptop but I can find out online otherwise. But how will I know how to do it on the test day - will I have to ask someone how to do it?
Thanks!

You cannot use the number pad on most laptops (namely yours), since it doesn't have a number pad. You need to use a desktop PC (the computers in the UCAT exam are also desktop PC's that have a numpad) to be able to use the numpad. Next to the numpad, there is a button called Num lock that you need to press once to turn it on, which you will probably find on the computers in the UCAT exam. If you have trouble finding it on test day, then definitely ask someone to help out.

Here is the default keyboard set up. If you look closely, there is a button that says 'Num lock' in the top right of the keyboard next to the number pad.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash