Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 02:11:01 am

Author Topic: UCAT Preparation companies?  (Read 738 times)

BrooklynVu25

• Fresh Poster
  • What a weird place
  • Respect: 0
UCAT Preparation companies?
« on: April 16, 2020, 08:19:16 pm »
I’m currently in year 11 and will do the exam in 2021, so I thought it’ll be good to do some preparations early. I started to look through the official website, ucat related YouTube channels as well as reading.
Is there anything that I should do at this stage? As in, should I be looking for UCAT companies. If so, which ones do y’all recommend?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: UCAT Preparation companies?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:31:15 pm »
+7
I’m currently in year 11 and will do the exam in 2021, so I thought it’ll be good to do some preparations early. I started to look through the official website, ucat related YouTube channels as well as reading.
Is there anything that I should do at this stage? As in, should I be looking for UCAT companies. If so, which ones do y’all recommend?
Early preparation is definitely not a bad thing and I would recommend it if you are serious about taking the UCAT so that you get experience with the types of questions which may be posed. However, the UCAT is not one of those tests where you can just prepare be sure to do well. It is definitely more of a test which tests how you have developed over your life rather than something you can just study for a few months or even a year.

There are many different opinions on whether UCAT (and other standardised test) companies are worth investing in. Personally from what I have seen they generally have a knack in getting really good results from students who probably would've done really well even without the companies help. This could possibly be due to selection bias - e.g. those who are willing to put in something like $1k - $2k into a company is probably already quite motivated to prepare heavily.
You will get students who do really well with tutoring companies and also those who do well without it. In the same way, there will be those that don't do to well from both these groups.

One other factor that would push me away from UCAT companies is that the UCAT was only introduced in AUS a few years ago and those UMAT companies all switched into UCAT prep companies basically overnight. Some were pushing "UCAT" course days after the change was announced. Despite the similarities, these are not the same tests and there are clear differences.

My only recommendation would be to buy and do all the official resources but even then it is a bit early in year 11.