Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:25:26 pm

Author Topic: UCAT from undergrad  (Read 1490 times)  Share 

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
UCAT from undergrad
« on: May 11, 2020, 04:02:58 pm »
Hi I just wanted to clarify,
Can someone completing an undergraduate course apply for the UCAT? For example, if I start Biomed at unimelb next year, would I be able to sit the UCAT next year to get into undergrad medicine the year after? And if that is possible, would the same procedure follow in that my ATAR and interview would be taken into account?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: UCAT from undergrad
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »
+1
You can complete the UCAT whilst undertaking an undergraduate degree in order to apply to medicine/dentistry as a non-standard applicant (i.e. graduate). Once you commence an undergraduate degree and it is on record (I'm not too sure when exactly you no longer count as a school-leaver) then you are no longer categorised as a school-leaver so cannot apply to undergraduate medicine, but you can apply to graduate medicine. You just have to make sure the uni you are applying to uses UCAT and not GAMSAT. I think some Australian unis have an ATAR threshold that applies even when you aren't a school-leaver, but I'm not too sure. If the uni requires an interview to get in then it will count. AFAIK for some unis like Monash you can only complete the interview to get into med once in your lifetime, and subsequent applications will use the interview score of that interview.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 05:45:03 pm »
+4
Just a little side note: the universities that you can apply to as a non-standard applicant are James Cook University, UNSW, University of Western Sydney and the Joint Medical Program from UNE and Newcastle. You can have a look at their respective websites and the table in the spoiler below for more info. :)

Spoiler

Source: this thread from the Med Students Online forum.
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:06:16 pm »
Thank you for clarifying it guys!