Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:22 pm

Author Topic: Need help with subject selection to become a veterinarian!  (Read 9646 times)

Joyn02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Re: Need help with subject selection to become a veterinarian!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 05:25:16 pm »
+1
Thanks again, I was meaning 3/4 bio and since I’m doing it earlier I heard that it adds more to the atar to my lowest scoring subjects.
Nope doesn't work like that. It just adds whatever amount of marks you get unless it's in your bottom two, in which case it only adds 10%.

Today I requested to leave literature and instead begin physics. I’ll see how I go in year 10 physics and that’ll aid me in my decision to see if I should pick VCE physics or not. Is that a good move?
Yeah. You can always drop physics if you find yourself really hating it. Just keep in mind you'll have to do it sooner or later.

My school doesn’t do animal studies.
No school has animal studies as a subject. as I said in my previous post, I went through another institution.

Can I still do DVM if u get 95, I understand it won’t be a guarantee but can I still get in?
What do you mean? In my previous post, I've already explained that 95 IS a guarantee. Not CSP, but still a guarantee.
2018 Software Dev [38]
2019 Chemistry [37] Physics [47] Methods [41] English [45]
2020 BSci/DVetMed @ UoM

SC_15

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 04:59:47 pm »
Nope doesn't work like that. It just adds whatever amount of marks you get unless it's in your bottom two, in which case it only adds 10%.
Yeah. You can always drop physics if you find yourself really hating it. Just keep in mind you'll have to do it sooner or later.
No school has animal studies as a subject. as I said in my previous post, I went through another institution.
What do you mean? In my previous post, I've already explained that 95 IS a guarantee. Not CSP, but still a guarantee.
Oh okay thanks. So can I still get in if I get under 95? I don’t understand all this slang like CSP and so on, sorry about this.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 08:17:06 pm »
+2
Oh okay thanks. So can I still get in if I get under 95?
I will leave this for someone more knowledgeable to confirm my understanding of DVM entry, which I admittedly know very little about.

Here’s my understanding of DVM entry:
- The DVM is a postgraduate course. This means you need to take an undergraduate degree (e.g. an accepted Bachelor degree) before you study the DVM. Since OP (original poster) is in Year 10, the timeline looks like this for them: Year 10 (2020), Year 12 (2022) - where you’ll apply for an undergraduate degree that Melbourne Uni will accept for DVM entry (so something like a Bachelor of Animal Health or Bachelor of Science will typically work), Undergraduate course (this is usually a Bachelor degree) (2023-2025), apply for DVM if not guaranteed a spot (2025), hopefully DVM (2026 until completion) - this is the fastest pathway and timeline I can think of. 
- If you get an ATAR below 95, you will not be guaranteed a spot. If this happens, you can apply again for the DVM in your final year of your undergraduate course, assuming you meet all the criteria and are competitive enough with your uni marks.
- I don’t know how competitive the guaranteed spots are via ATAR, just that it is quite competitive. In other courses, there’s a chance in which you can get in if there’s spots available even under the selection rank. I don’t know if there are any guaranteed spots for DVM left for those whose selection rank (which is made primarily from your ATAR) is less than 95. (Basically, it’s really unlikely you’ll get a guaranteed spot for the DVM via ATAR if your ATAR is below 95. Just means you’ll have to try again and apply in your final year of your undergraduate course instead for a spot in the DVM. So yes, you can try again in uni, but it’ll be just as competitive.)

I don’t understand all this slang like CSP and so on, sorry about this.
CSP = Commonwealth Supported Place. If you’re an Aussie and/ or NZ citizen (and I think PRs from these countries too), you’ll be eligible for a CSP. A CSP allows students to put their tertiary (uni) fees on to a loan (called HECS,  which stands for something like Higher Education Contribution Scheme). This means you don’t have to pay any money for your uni fees (apart from you voluntarily paying it) until you earn a certain amount (this is usually when you get a full time job).

FFP = Full Fee Paying
FFP students have to pay for each semester’s units (units = subjects at uni) before a due date (called the census date, which usually occurs about 3-4 weeks after the start of semester).
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

SC_15

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 09:44:24 pm »
Guys, I can’t see anything mentioning a requirement of physics if I’m not taking the accelerated pathway.

Joyn02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 10:57:18 pm »
+3
AngelWings pretty much explained it all. I just want to add/clarify some things:

- if you plan to apply for the accelerated pathway, application for DVM happens in 2nd year, not 3rd.

- the undergrad degrees Melbourne accepts are B Science or B Agriculture.

- The ATAR guarantee cuts off at precisely 98.50 for CSP and 95.00 for FFP. SEAS/subject bonuses etc are NOT taken into consideration. So there is zero chance of getting the guarantee if say you get below even by a bit. It's harsh, but that's the policy. I missed the CSP cut off by 0.05 so I only got the FFP guarantee, despite SEAS pushing my adjusted ATAR to 99.

- Physics is not a requirement at Melbourne if you go through the non accelerated pathway. Just keep in mind that you're severely sabotaging your chances at getting in without it. Also, if applying interstate, most DVM courses (eg. USyd, UAdel) has physics as prereq. So the institutions you're eligible for is also limited if you do not take physics. If you are serious about wanting to study DVM, it would be unwise to not choose it.
2018 Software Dev [38]
2019 Chemistry [37] Physics [47] Methods [41] English [45]
2020 BSci/DVetMed @ UoM

SC_15

• Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 11:20:11 am »
Hey everyone! My course counselling is tomorrow and these are the subjects I’m going to pick most likely (unless you guys give me advice to change it or something). What do you guys think of this?

English
Methods
Biology 3 & 4
Chemistry
Physics
Geography

SC_15

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 08:01:10 am »
Hey! If Im struggling in methods 1/2 next year, if I was to do further maths in year 12, would I still be able to get in the DVM if I take the methods course at university? Wouldn’t it benefit my ATAR if I did further and it’s easier than methods?