Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:45:21 pm

Author Topic: I need help with how work experience works!  (Read 3990 times)  Share 

krischuffer

• Adventurer
  • hi everyone :D
  • Respect: +9
I need help with how work experience works!
« on: June 19, 2020, 09:54:10 am »
+1
Hey guys! So I'm currently in Year 10 and haven't done any sort of work experience. When i say work experience i mean like how you email companies and ask them, blah blah, blah. Im not really sure how it works, so please correct me if im wrong!

I currently work as a kitchenhand at a sandwich shop, although I havent been on the roster for a few months because of covid, maybe i've been fired without me knowing. Anyways, Im hoping to become either any sort of English Teacher or Lawyer when I grow up. Im not really looking at science related jobs, but Im fairly decent at it. I guess what Im trying to ask is, how do I go about finding companies to email and whatnot?

Wait Ill just put all my questions here that seems easier:

• How can I find places to do work experience?
  • Does it occur during school hours/after school/before school?
  • Do they pay you?
  • Does it only go for a week?

Thank you for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated! Have a great day today!  :D

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: I need help with how work experience works!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 10:27:43 am »
+8
How can I find places to do work experience?
I’d recommend giving this thread by fellow ANer Snow Leopard a read which has some handy tips on how to find work experience. I’d suggest looking for some companies that you’re interested in doing your work experience with e.g. your interest in law could mean you could potentially try contacting/ emailing the local Magistrate’s Court. (I think my friend did hers in our Year 11 at one way back when.) Try contacting them well in advance, because it takes a while (read: a couple of months sometimes) to go through the paperwork and divisions after someone has agreed on taking you on for work experience.

Does it occur during school hours/after school/before school?
Depends on the placement. Most of them will do it during business/ school hours. It’s usually classified as a legitimate reason to miss school so if you explain beforehand that you have work experience on these 5-10 days and catch up on the work you missed, if you missed anything (some schools have dedicated weeks for work experience but you don’t have to do it on that week specifically). Just make sure you clear this with your school and all should be good. You can alternatively do your work experience in the school holidays - it’s just whatever you organise with your work experience place and whenever both of you are available.

Do they pay you?
They’re supposed to pay you a minimum of $5/ day, so yes.

Does it only go for a week?
Depends on the place you go and what set up they have. Most will go for 5 days (one school week), but there are some that do a few less or more (typically two weeks if longer). Some schools ask that you do two weeks; I’d suggest that you check with your school to be sure.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

krischuffer

• Adventurer
  • hi everyone :D
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 10:46:41 am »
+1
How can I find places to do work experience?
I’d recommend giving this thread by fellow ANer Snow Leopard a read which has some handy tips on how to find work experience. I’d suggest looking for some companies that you’re interested in doing your work experience with e.g. your interest in law could mean you could potentially try contacting/ emailing the local Magistrate’s Court. (I think my friend did hers in our Year 11 at one way back when.) Try contacting them well in advance, because it takes a while (read: a couple of months sometimes) to go through the paperwork and divisions after someone has agreed on taking you on for work experience.

Does it occur during school hours/after school/before school?
Depends on the placement. Most of them will do it during business/ school hours. It’s usually classified as a legitimate reason to miss school so if you explain beforehand that you have work experience on these 5-10 days and catch up on the work you missed, if you missed anything (some schools have dedicated weeks for work experience but you don’t have to do it on that week specifically). Just make sure you clear this with your school and all should be good. You can alternatively do your work experience in the school holidays - it’s just whatever you organise with your work experience place and whenever both of you are available.

Do they pay you?
They’re supposed to pay you a minimum of $5/ day, so yes.

Does it only go for a week?
Depends on the place you go and what set up they have. Most will go for 5 days (one school week), but there are some that do a few less or more (typically two weeks if longer). Some schools ask that you do two weeks; I’d suggest that you check with your school to be sure.

Hi AngelWings! Thank you so much for your help, this was really helpful. Have a good day! :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 11:31:48 am »
+5
Be aware that some places may be closed or otherwise unable to take on work experience due to COVID and be unsure when they'll take on people again (I got an email back saying this even a week ago so even though restrictions are easing it is still a factor); this means it's especially important to consider a range of places and have back ups.