Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:48 am

Author Topic: Does having a good teacher matter?  (Read 3584 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Does having a good teacher matter?
« on: June 26, 2020, 07:09:19 pm »
As you all know unit 1 subjects are over and unit 2 subjects are going to start soon. I am not sure if your school has teacher changes, but my school does have changes to timetable and therefore some of my teachers might change. So far most of my teachers are great and I don't want that to change, I am scared I might get worse teachers then in unit 1. So I just want to know does having a good teacher really matter? Can I still get top scores with mediocre teachers?

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Re: Does having a good teacher matter?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 07:12:11 pm »
+11
As you all know unit 1 subjects are over and unit 2 subjects are going to start soon. I am not sure if your school has teacher changes, but my school does have changes to timetable and therefore some of my teachers might change. So far most of my teachers are great and I don't want that to change, I am scared I might get worse teachers then in unit 1. So I just want to know does having a good teacher really matter? Can I still get top scores with mediocre teachers?
Having a good teacher can make things more interesting and engaging but ultimately you need to put in the hard yards to get the score you want. Those that get high scores are self-motivated, and a good teacher won't particularly affect that
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 08:36:51 pm »
I am motivated to do well, but I feel like if my teacher changes that will reduce my chances of a 45+ which is the study score I really desire. I really want to do well and I am willing to go to the end of the earth and come back just to get that score.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 01:06:02 pm »
+10
I am motivated to do well, but I feel like if my teacher changes that will reduce my chances of a 45+ which is the study score I really desire. I really want to do well and I am willing to go to the end of the earth and come back just to get that score.
Teachers are there to teach you and you will only learn with an open mind. If you believe that a different teacher will negatively affect your grades, that is exactly what will happen. If you have an open mind and realise that to do well the only thing that impacts that is you, your attitude and the work you put in. No teacher, no matter how good, will be able to make you get a 45+ solely from their teaching.
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

jborn007

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 06:52:33 pm »
+1
Yes but if they poorly teach their materials, then it's going to be very inconvenient and force you to utilise other and as many resources as you can.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 09:35:31 pm »
Yes but if they poorly teach their materials, then it's going to be very inconvenient and force you to utilise other and as many resources as you can.
I agree with this one big time, having a bad teacher makes your life so much harder and you as a student have to put in more hours to make up for it. I also agree with the statement above hard work can fix anything. But yes it can be quite inconvienient to have to get extra resources (which I do a lot)+ tutoring.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 09:46:07 pm »
+2
This really depends on the student. Overall though, I daresay most teachers are actually quite 'good' but their teaching style may not fit with every student. I really have to emphasise that especially for some of the scores above 40+ the effect of your teacher starts to drop off quite quickly. Indeed, most of my peers who have scored such scores reflect on how they more relied on themselves to learn things more in-depth than covered in class + do many corrected practice tests. I'm probably more of an exception than a rule but I personally (with advance permission of course) spent most of the in-class time sitting in a corner and working through content at my own pace and difficulty.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 10:54:28 pm »
+8
Also think it's important to consider a standard classroom from a teacher's perspective. Even if we have top tier teachers with top tier resources, it's always important to understand that a school isn't a one-on-one tutoring service (as much as we'd like it to be) and attempting to teach even let's say 15 students (the really lower end of the class size scale), it's difficult to get it right due to each student having varying needs.

Not going to repeat the comments made already because they all have merit - comments about taking ownership, less reliance on teacher etc. are great. If you want it (it referring to whatever you want... a 40+, a pass mark, etc), you have to work for it. It doesn't matter what school you go to, in the end you're the one that has to put in the hard yards.

It is very easy to blame a teacher for poor performance and unfortunately this is often the first resolution by many students, parents etc. but when do we start to consider the student and how much they're putting in and what they're doing to help themselves?

Also.. we should consider what 'good' actually looks like? Is it somebody who churns out students with 40+ scores? Is it somebody who works in a private school rather than a public one? Is it somebody who relates to their students and actually takes an interest in them (so they aren't too scared to ask for help)? This all goes back to the first part of this post: each student has varying needs and it's never going to be 100% for every single person in that class.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:58:54 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 10:41:53 am »
What you all said are not wrong, once you get to a certain point (40+ study score) your teacher can't do much to make you get better scores. Honestly some teachers are just plain bad, their teaching style may not suit every student, but if they don't put in the effort or care that just makes things turn into hell. Students are quite good judges on how a teacher does their jobs, most students will have good teachers, but a few bad ones. Hard work matters, but I am a strong believer that having a good teacher matters too, imagine having to self teach yourself everything ya know. I think it matters for certain subjects and having the foundation knowledge, once you have the knowledge you can just apply it elsewhere. Luckily for me a lot of subjects I am doing I can teach myself or go tutoring. Any teacher can be a great teacher, but not every student can be a good student.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 02:05:47 pm »
+4
I've split this thread as it was getting way off topic. If you'd like to continue the discussion about educational equity, please do so here
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra