Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:42:26 pm

Poll

Do you think you are more extroverted or introverted?

Introvert
45 (56.3%)
Extrovert
7 (8.8%)
Ambivert/ in the middle
28 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Ratio of introverts to extroverts on AN?  (Read 3950 times)  Share 

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Ratio of introverts to extroverts on AN?
« on: June 29, 2020, 08:21:49 pm »
+18
Hi Atar Notes people!  ;D

I’m curious about the amount of introverts vs extroverts on here!

I have a hypothesis that there will be a higher proportion of introverts possibly? I know it’s a whole spectrum though and not a one or the other, so I’ve added the ambivert option for people in the middle.

Introverts are defined as gaining energy from being alone, and losing energy from being around a lot of people for a long time.
Extroverts are defined as gaining energy from being around other people and being social.

There is a stereotype that introverts are more shy and quiet, and extroverts seem more loud and confident, but this isn’t always the case.
On the internet I found lots of different percentages of what they think the population is but it seemed like introverts were less than half, and extroverts were a bit over half.

Spoiler
Personally, I am an extrovert (I think) and take every opportunity to be around people, but also am a bit shy so come across as introverted. On personality quizzes I sometimes get around the middle, because my internal feelings about liking large gatherings and getting energy from being around others cancel out with my ‘introverted’ traits of seeming more quiet and lacking social skills.

Do you guys have thoughts on this? Do your personality traits conflict with the way you get energized? AHH I feel like a youtube person who’s saying ‘leave a comment down below’
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Ratio of introverts to extroverts on AN?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 08:28:55 pm »
+10
Always been introverted but my career choice has forced me to be more extroverted so to speak.
Every personality test i've done says i'm introverted so I guess we'll go with that. I think its also what makes me a very good teacher as well - something different.
I've put in the middle for your poll.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 10:10:01 am »
+11
Couldn't be more introverted if I tried haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:40:18 am »
+10
Couldn't be more introverted if I tried haha.

Idk man, I've seen you in person multiple times. Feel like that wouldn't happen if you could be more introverted

---

Me? I tend to toe the line everytime I test this. Almost don't even believe the idea of introverted and extraverted people truly exist

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 10:52:56 am »
+14
Idk man, I've seen you in person multiple times. Feel like that wouldn't happen if you could be more introverted

---

Me? I tend to toe the line everytime I test this. Almost don't even believe the idea of introverted and extraverted people truly exist

I had to sleep for 7-8 months after each of those occasions. ;)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:37:29 am »
+11
Severely introverted hehe.

When I go to work parties, I'm either trying to busy myself (watching Netflix on someone else's phone lol) or hanging out with the same two or three people (and clinging to Angelina lmao). As much as I enjoy hanging out with my friends, I'm really enjoying quarantine. I know at some point some people are getting sick of staying at home, but not me. I wish we could be in quarantine forever (without covid as the cause, of course) and I'm really dreading when my campus opens up and start face-to-face classes.

That being said, when the situation arises where I actually have to talk to someone (i.e a phone call or if I'm asking questions at a career expo), I won't avoid interacting them but it gets exhausting that at some point I just don't wanna talk to anyone lol.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 12:14:34 pm »
+11
A lot of people who haven't seen me much outside of uni and school pick me as extraverted. I'm someone who will introduce themselves to classmates in a lecture, tute, or lab. I enjoy public speaking and I tend to pick up leadership positions even when I'm not actively trying to.

On the other hand, I'm very comfortable sitting just with my own thoughts. My impulse when stressed isn't to reach out but to withdraw. I've gone days without talking to anyone and that's felt peaceful rather than lonely. Recently I was talking to a friend and mentioned that I now thought I was an introvert rather than an ambivert - they laughed and said me being an introvert was obvious.

I've answered introvert in the poll.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 12:29:12 pm »
+11
I think most people would think I'm an introvert but I'm more of an ambivert with anxiety haha. I get tired of peopling if I'm around people for too long and need time alone to recover but I also struggle when I'm alone for too long and need to be around people to get out of the funk. Hard to tell which parts are me and which are caused by mental illness.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 12:32:49 pm »
+12
I'm definitely more of an introvert, I am completely fine to be alone (and read) rather than go out and see people haha! 😅
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 01:28:27 pm »
+11
Funnily enough, I used to call myself an ambivert with introverted tendencies, basically meaning that on the spectrum of introvert to extrovert, I sit in the middle but slightly more towards the introverted side. When I was still studying (especially in uni), I was able to basically chat to anyone and, sometimes, gain energy from that interaction like an extrovert does, but most of the time, it would be that I was more introverted and derived my energy from being alone for a bit. It really just depended on my mood at that moment.

Nowadays, I’m more of an introvert and, on very few occasions, show that ambiverted side of me.

I picked introvert in the poll above, though.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 02:36:27 pm »
+13
This was a really difficult poll for me because I sorta had to juggle a few factors into it. I actually do think I'm quite extroverted but that doesn't mean I don't have any signs of an introvert in me. I don't crave human interaction and/or need it to gain energy but when I am around people, I've always found myself feeling better. This is also perhaps why I gravitated towards teaching because I couldn't imagine myself working alone and I know I thrive well off of being able to lead and/or follow others.

Alternatively, I do enjoy being on my own and find it, as Bri said, peaceful. This has been particularly the case since I started university and realised that I needed to be more in tune with myself. I have often made decisions on behalf of this new priority to give myself more "me time" but even in these cases, I do end up in public spaces. If I'm feeling like studying, I might go to a nearby cafe or to the library. If I'm feeling like doing some of my hobbies, I'll go bowling by myself. Ultimately, I'm still surrounded by people but I will be, in terms of company, alone  :)

My childhood friends and I had a conversation where we were talking about the types of people we would be at a party. One of my friends is very much the life of the party, another is the babysitter for everyone there. My friend described me as the person who would go and talk to anybody who was sitting by themselves or appearing to be left out. I thought this was a really interesting way of describing my personality (and now that I think about it, has been true on more than one occasion). I think this is a pretty good way to strike a balance between my extroverted and introverted aspects  :)

I chose ambivert for the poll!

Severely introverted hehe.

When I go to work parties, I'm either trying to busy myself (watching Netflix on someone else's phone lol) or hanging out with the same two or three people (and clinging to Angelina lmao).

And you can cling on to me any time  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Partyking1234

• Fresh Poster
  • Kinda interesting, but also kinda not
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 03:14:40 pm »
+12
Right off the bat, I see myself as very extroverted :)

More often than not, my own personality has a tendency to be able to draw in introverts. In most social settings, I'm one of the louder people amongst the crowd and that gets the attention of others to want to participate. On top of that, I've been told many times that people quite like my sense of humour and my own laugh, so I think that's also another factor. I often get quite drained when I'm on my own, so being in quarantine has affected me dramatically, but being able to have the odd day or two to see Angelina is quite relieving or even other social gatherings that are organised. Even when I'm stuck at home, I'll often gravitate towards online video games where I can interact with other people (as of recently, Valorant has been my go-to and boy is it fun to both get some crazy wins and talk smack to toxic team players). That contributes to my feelings of gaining energy from other people as an extrovert. I can be on my own, just not for too long because I do get very drained as a result of it.

So to end off, definitely Extrovert :)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 04:28:32 pm »
+12
Interesting discussion! With all the personality tests I've done, I always come out as a bit more introverted than extroverted, but I feel like I'm neither ambiverted nor either of the two. I'm simply nothing (although I did put down ambivert in the poll!). I'm a people person and I like interacting with others a lot, but I also love doing stereotypical 'introvert' things like sitting at home by myself with a book or movie or just daydreaming (which is why I always come out more introverted in personality tests). I'm not like, a super extroverted party animal or anything, but if I'm in a room with a bunch of people, am not talking to anyone myself and I see you alone you bet I'm going to come up and talk to you! I really enjoy meeting people and helping people, but at the same time I like to stay at home alone because I'm lazy and it's so much easier than having to get up and go outside. So yeah, I'm sort of an ambivert and sort of none of them at the same time.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 06:27:26 pm »
+9
I feel like I am truly in the minority here! I would definitely classify myself as an extrovert. I love getting involved in school sports, leadership and simple classroom discussions. I love talking to people and honestly miss school in the holidays as I am not seeing people as much. I also crave human interaction and because of this I absolutely hated quarantine.

I do love just sitting in my own thoughts at times but definitely I am definitely a more extroverted personality. Hence I put that for this poll :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 02:40:44 pm »
+10
I’m an introvert as well but what many people fail to understand is being introverted doesn’t automatically make you suck at all social skills. I’m a good public speaker and things like that make people confused when they find out I’m introverted and really want to go home at random. However Social distancing and self-isolation? I, an introvert and socially anxious homo sapien have been training my whole life for this very moment.Plus I use to be an extrovert but then turned into an introvert haha but dont think it's bad, I think it let's me develop my character a lot more without having to withhold a persona for people.