Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:48:48 am

Poll

Do you think you are more extroverted or introverted?

Introvert
45 (56.3%)
Extrovert
7 (8.8%)
Ambivert/ in the middle
28 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Ratio of introverts to extroverts on AN?  (Read 3949 times)  Share 

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: Ratio of introverts to extroverts on AN?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 07:28:56 pm »
+6
I’m an introvert as well but what many people fail to understand is being introverted doesn’t automatically make you suck at all social skills. I’m a good public speaker and things like that make people confused when they find out I’m introverted and really want to go home at random. However Social distancing and self-isolation? I, an introvert and socially anxious homo sapien have been training my whole life for this very moment.Plus I use to be an extrovert but then turned into an introvert haha but dont think it's bad, I think it let's me develop my character a lot more without having to withhold a persona for people.

Yeah, definitely! My best friend is the unspoken 'leader' in my friendship group, and she's the most charismatic person who everyone gravitates too, and she's an introvert. I think in my friend group the people who are the the most confident and talkative are the introverts.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

AlphaZero

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • \[\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi z)}\]
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 09:30:06 pm »
+6
Introverts are defined as gaining energy from being alone, and losing energy from being around a lot of people for a long time.
Extroverts are defined as gaining energy from being around other people and being social.

There is a stereotype that introverts are more shy and quiet, and extroverts seem more loud and confident, but this isn’t always the case

Can I ask what motivates your definitions of "introverted" and "extroverted"? It seems quite different from what I've read. Interestingly, the Google definitions of introversion and extroversion contain the words "shy" and "confident" respectively.

I put myself as ambiverted by the way. When I'm solving a maths problem for example, I'm in my own world. Nothing else matters and I want nothing more than to be alone with my pens and lots of paper. I feel "at peace" alone as some others in this thread have said. On the other hand, I'm a very confident person and I believe in myself. I like being around people and I'm almost always found to be the leader.

If we decide to use the slightly 'dodgy' MBTI, I'm probably a mix of 'assertive architect' and 'assertive commander'.
2015\(-\)2017:  VCE
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 10:01:29 pm »
+9
Can I ask what motivates your definitions of "introverted" and "extroverted"? It seems quite different from what I've read. Interestingly, the Google definitions of introversion and extroversion contain the words "shy" and "confident" respectively.

Yeah, I've seen places where extroverted and introverted are more defined by like the traits of how loud/confident/talkative someone is, but from the articles I've read, I got the impression that the key idea behind the classifications were about if people are more stimulated externally from the environment or internally. Maybe I am partly ignoring the idea that these words can be used as just a way to describe how someone is perceived by others in terms of confidence/shyness. However, I believe that the shyness/confidence idea came afterwards.

Jung was the person who first created these extroversion/introversion theories and if you google his name with them, extroversion and introversion are more related to the individual's mind rather than their external traits.
He said that "Each person seems to be energized more by either the external world (extroversion) or the internal world (introversion)."
I think this idea is maybe a little lost and there's now a more broader idea of what the words mean.

Edit: I kept looking and found that Jung seems to describe introverts and extroverts also with those adjectives such as contemplative, shy, reserved/outgoing. So it looks like there's two parts to this, but they don't always seem to align? What do you think?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:11:21 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

AlphaZero

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • \[\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi z)}\]
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 12:42:23 am »
+4

I'm hesitant to make any conclusive statements about a subject I've never really interacted with (that being Psychology), but just based on what you've said, it seems that there are few ways of characterising introversion and extroversion.

One way is to define them by how others observe someone, as either "shy" or "confident" for example. This is obviously a gross oversimplification, and I'm sure there are more precise words that can be used that capture the nuances of what we think introversion and extroversion should mean.

Another seems to be characterised by personal experience. So, someone is introverted if they themselves feel that they "gain energy" from being alone, or something like that. Please let me know if I'm wrong...

How we therefore describe people on the introverted-extroverted 'spectrum' obviously depends on the definition we adopt. To me, it seems a lot easier to use the second definition as it only has one degree of freedom, and then show correlations between "shyness" and "introversion", and "confidence" and "extroversion". This construction makes the most sense to me since I too personally believe that someone who I perceive as "introverted" need not be shy for example.

Argh I don't know. I probably made this more complicated than it needs to be lol
2015\(-\)2017:  VCE
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne