Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:12:13 pm

Author Topic: Module C  (Read 3641 times)  Share 

Natasack

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Module C
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:14:07 am »
If the marks for Modue C are 12 for the imaginative/discursive/persuasive and 8 for the reflection statement, how many words each is recommended?
Also some people mention weaknesses/things to be improved in the reflection statement? Is that needed for Standard English? My teacher never mentioned it.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Module C
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 10:09:39 am »
+1
If the marks for Modue C are 12 for the imaginative/discursive/persuasive and 8 for the reflection statement, how many words each is recommended?
Also some people mention weaknesses/things to be improved in the reflection statement? Is that needed for Standard English? My teacher never mentioned it.

Hey, Natasack!

Hope this isn't too delayed of a response! I would recommend working with the ratios that come with the mark distributions and figuring it out that way. Let's say you can roughly write 800 words under exam conditions and it's a 10 marker for each section. You should aim for around 400 words for the creative and 400 words for the reflection. This makes sense because logically, you would dedicate the same amount of words to it. With a 12 marker, 8 marker distribution, you would spend slightly longer on the creative (if we are being exact, 480 words) and slightly less for the reflection (320 words).

However, you can't know for sure how many words you are writing under exam conditions and everyone reacts differently to the questions (you might be feeling more confident than the person next to you, or feeling more anxious). Despite giving you all the maths above, I would instead recommending thinking about it in terms of how long you are spending on each section, rather than how many words you are writing for it. For 10/10 marks, I would go with 20 minutes per section and for 12/8 marks, I would strive for 24 minutes for the creative and 16 minutes for the reflection. This way, you can time manage better in the exam and know at what stages you should be wrapping up each one.

As for areas of improvement, that is entirely up to you! I haven't heard from any students I've talked to in Standard that they have to mention it in the reflection but that doesn't mean you can't talk about. I would recommend spending the bulk of your reflection on justifying your creative choices first and then perhaps at the end if you have time, recognise one area of the piece that you "would have liked to have explored further." This is my preferred way of acknowledging areas in need of improvement, as opposed to saying it "could have been improved." You want to show confidence in your ideas in your reflection  :) Let me know if you have any further questions and all the best for your Trials revision!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music