Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:27:18 pm

Author Topic: Does anyone know what this book is?  (Read 2865 times)

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Does anyone know what this book is?
« on: August 20, 2020, 03:43:59 pm »
There's a book I read awhile ago which I want to reread. However, we don't own it anymore. I remember various details.
There was a woman named Martha, she was the POV character and pretty sure I saw a note at the front of the book it was originally in broad Scots but has been 'translated' to ordinary English. Not sure if that was for this edition, or just in general.
She had a ward (?) called Judith Ann, or Jandy.
Vague memory of specific plotlines
At some point in time along came this fellow named Fulk, who was hopelessly in love with Jandy who didn't care for him. Of course, Martha was in love with him.
Sometime into the book, this guy came in, I think his name started with R, maybe Robin but something vaguely similar anyway. He and Jandy fell in love, went to what they believed was Scotland and got married. He got ordered home again or something, and then she realised that since it wasn't Scotland actually (something about the borders was diff., I can't remember) they weren't married. Sent him a letter, he didn't get. Time passed, she might've married Fulk? Not sure. But the guy came back and didn't realise that they weren't still married.
She had a fear of rabbits or something, somehow I think she accidentally stabbed the guy and thought she'd killed him, somehow connected to the rabbits. She ended up dying I think with Fulk or something like that. Think there was an epilogue or something in which Martha sees the guy when he's old, he actually didn't die. Not quite sure.
If someone knows what this book is and who it's by, I'd like to know! Thanks.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.