Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:58:44 am

Author Topic: Writing Task One  (Read 4270 times)

kat05

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Writing Task One
« on: October 06, 2020, 06:13:29 pm »
Hi there,
I wanted to confirm whether we can write creative e.g. in first person, someone sharing their experience with chess and going systematically on how they discovered it, what they're future plans are etc, rather than being more on the informative, formal essay side? I have seen mixed responses regarding this so I wanted to clarify!
Thanks

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Writing Task One
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 10:24:25 am »
+1
Hi there,
I wanted to confirm whether we can write creative e.g. in first person, someone sharing their experience with chess and going systematically on how they discovered it, what they're future plans are etc, rather than being more on the informative, formal essay side? I have seen mixed responses regarding this so I wanted to clarify!
Thanks
Might be a bit late but I did the exact GAT you’re discussing (2014) and wrote a creative piece about a girl who’s at the chess championships remembering her late, knowledgeable, fact-spouting father who’s a former chessmaster and got a pretty high SS for the writing tasks (and my persuasive was a complete dud given I hadn’t written one in 2 years), so absolutely yes.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Writing Task One
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 12:53:51 pm »
Hi there,
Thanks
I feel like if students are creative it is possible to do really well, however, you do run the risk of missing the point of the essay so make sure you still include the information and remember that is the main reason you are writing the essay.

I think assessors would get tired of reading solely fully "informative" pieces which most people would write so once they get someone being more creative they are more likely to be interested.