Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:58:17 am

Author Topic: Should I do the GAT in year 11 or in year 12?  (Read 8061 times)

Rose34

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Should I do the GAT in year 11 or in year 12?
« on: October 11, 2020, 11:01:42 pm »
Should I do the GAT in year 11 or in year 12? Also, any tips/recommendations of how to prepare for it?

Thanks in advance.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Should I do the GAT in year 11 or in year 12?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 11:07:26 pm »
+6
Should I do the GAT in year 11 or in year 12? Also, any tips/recommendations of how to prepare for it?

Thanks in advance.
The GAT isn't an exam that you opt-in or opt-out of, if you are undertaking 1 or more 3/4 subject's you should be completing it in the same year.

I don't have many tips for it though. This is the first-year students on a broad scale have really studied for it. imo it is one of those tests where you develop skills over many years rather than something you can explicitly study for.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:18:24 pm by Sine »

Rose34

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 11:19:20 pm »
The GAT isn't an exam that you opt-in or opt-out of if you are undertaking 1 or more 3/4 subject's you should be completing it in the same year.

I don't have many tips for it though. This is the first-year students on a broad scale have really studied for it. imo it is one of those tests where you develop skills over many years rather than something you can explicitly study for.

Thanks for responding. I am in year 10 and currently doing Math Methods Units 1&2. I was thinking if I would be allowed to do the GAT next year? 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 11:22:33 pm »
+5
Thanks for responding. I am in year 10 and currently doing Math Methods Units 1&2. I was thinking if I would be allowed to do the GAT next year? 
Yeah if you are doing methods 3/4 in year 11 you would need to do the GAT in that year. Then the following year when you do the rest of your 3/4 subjects you do the GAT once more.

e.g. I did 3/4 subjects in year 11 and 12 so did the GAT twice in both those years.

Rose34

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 10:20:06 am »
Yeah if you are doing methods 3/4 in year 11 you would need to do the GAT in that year. Then the following year when you do the rest of your 3/4 subjects you do the GAT once more.

e.g. I did 3/4 subjects in year 11 and 12 so did the GAT twice in both those years.

Thanks for informing me. I did not know that it has to be done twice.  In that case, which marks are taken into account for the ATAR? Form the year 11 GAT or year 12 GAT?

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 10:37:27 am »
+2
Thanks for informing me. I did not know that it has to be done twice.  In that case, which marks are taken into account for the ATAR? Form the year 11 GAT or year 12 GAT?
For each year they use it to moderate the study scores of the subjects you took that year. So for me, last year's GAT affected HHD (did it a year early), where this year it will affect English, Revs, Methods and Texts.

It's only used (in normal years; this year is a little different) to create a Derived Examination Score or possibly to moderate things if the scores are really weird. So the DES is only used if the student is unable to come to their final exam/s (e.g. got into a car crash going to the exam and broke their leg, as a random example). Otherwise, I don't think it's used. So don't worry too much about it.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 12:05:03 pm »
+5
Well, it has to be done in every year that someone does a 3/4 subject. There are definitely some people who do it three times if they do 3/4 subjects in year 10, 11 and 12.

Rose34

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 01:39:33 pm »
For each year they use it to moderate the study scores of the subjects you took that year. So for me, last year's GAT affected HHD (did it a year early), where this year it will affect English, Revs, Methods and Texts.

It's only used (in normal years; this year is a little different) to create a Derived Examination Score or possibly to moderate things if the scores are really weird. So the DES is only used if the student is unable to come to their final exam/s (e.g. got into a car crash going to the exam and broke their leg, as a random example). Otherwise, I don't think it's used. So don't worry too much about it.

Thanks for clarifying!