Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:54:42 pm

Author Topic: Doing UCAT during first year of University  (Read 4797 times)  Share 

RyanBransby

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Doing UCAT during first year of University
« on: October 13, 2020, 04:07:22 pm »
+1
Hi, I have just had a gap year and next year I will be starting a Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash, ultimately trying to get into medical school. During year 12 (I completed in 2019) I didn't really study at all for the UCAT and performed badly. During my GAP year I have started to study a little for it as I want to complete it next year. My ATAR was 89.45 but I was eligible for SEAS due to quite serious personal situation I faced. I have a few questions and if anyone could help me it would be really appreciated. Firstly I was wondering if I can even gain a position in an Undergraduate Medical Program as I am not a current year 12 student. And Secondly I have heard that the required ATAR for most Melbourne Programs is like 95+, do they programs take into consideration difficult circumstances (SEAS).

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Doing UCAT during first year of University
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 05:08:52 pm »
+8
Hey there!

The only undergrad medicine option in Victoria is Monash, and they accept application as long as VCE has been completed within the past two years. However starting any kind of tertiary study precludes entry. This means that if you start your Bachelor of Biomedical Science, you will unfortunately not be able to apply via UCAT.

For your second question, yes, undergrad courses will still take into account SEAS. Some of them will have extra programs, such as the Monash Guarantee. However like I said, doing your current degree will make this moot.

Please see source here for further information
Quote from: Admissions requirements - Domestic
Our Direct Entry Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine (MD) offered at Clayton Campus, is only available to applicants who have completed Year 12 studies (or VCE equivalent) no more than two years prior, and have not commenced other studies at a tertiary level during that time. Applicants who have commenced tertiary study, including AQF Level Certificate IV and above, are ineligible to apply for this course and should consider the graduate entry program.

However there's still graduate access (and more Victorian med schools that way), so that's always an option! I don't know specific details, but I know some unis have disadvantage programs for graduate entry courses (I think Graduate Access Melbourne is one for UniMelb), so once you've a bit further into your degree and start looking to apply, they may be able to help further. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do for 2021.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢