Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:41:15 am

Author Topic: Deciding on whether to do Accounting 3/4 vs Software Development  (Read 5510 times)  Share 

westonc118

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Deciding on whether to do Accounting 3/4 vs Software Development
« on: November 11, 2020, 12:59:55 am »
I'm currently in year 11 and next year I've chosen next year to do Computing 3/4 (software development) without having done 1/2 Computing. I would have done 1/2 this year but the class was full and there were clashes with other classes.
I was told by the Computing teacher that I should be fine with doing Computing 3/4 despite not having done 1/2 since I took Computing as a subject in year 9 and 10.

There is a chance I have to choose between Computing 3/4 and Accounting 3/4 for next year since I may not be able to do these classes at the same time due to clashes. (If this doesn't happen I'll swap Media for Accounting instead)
I had to choose my subjects for next year at the start of this year, and I didn't originally choose to do Accounting 3/4 next year because I had a mediocre start to the year with Accounting but mid-year I started to get above average results, so then my Accounting teacher encouraged me to continue onto 3/4 next year. I would likely be able to get 40+ study score in Accounting and the score will likely get marked up as well based on results from years past.

With Computing 3/4 I also believe I could achieve at least 40 based on my results in year 10 Computing which were above average. Again I was told that I should be fine doing Computing 3/4 however I feel like I'd lack some programming skills at the start of next year since I missed out on 1/2. I've heard that the theory is fairly easy compared to the practical and programming parts.

In terms of passion I feel like that I'd find Computing and Accounting equally as enjoyable. I plan for my career to be in the IT/media and business industries so it is a tough choice. I'm interested in the Business and Media Communication course as well as the IT courses at Monash.
If I need to choose between these subjects next year then what advice would you give?

hmemail

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Deciding on whether to do Accounting 3/4 vs Software Development
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 12:38:04 pm »
I'm also in Year 11 and am doing the business subjects , accounting, busman, eco. I started the year doing 1/2 computing but switched to eco because I was doing it through VSV (online) and feedback was rare.

Personally, I would choose Accounting. Doing well in either subject is a lot easier with lots of background, so the fact you've done Acc 1/2 already is a big help. The main reason I would choose Accounting though, and the main reason I dropped computing, was because it scales down ALOT. Based off last years scores, you would have to get a raw 47 to only scale down 1 point. Whereas a 47 would scale up 1 in Accounting.

Computing: 33 -> 28
Accounting: 33 ->  34

Its really just about which one you think you could enjoy studying more, because that will determine how well you do if you like them both equally. Computing just seems alot harder to do very well in.. probably cause of all the computer geeks 8)

AR1472

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: Deciding on whether to do Accounting 3/4 vs Software Development
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 01:37:16 pm »
+1
Actually would just like to add computing softdev luckily doesn’t scale down that much, a 35 will go down to 33 and a 40 to 39. Once you hit around 45 it doesn’t scale down