Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:57 pm

Author Topic: Missing major offer round  (Read 3987 times)

XD12345

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Missing major offer round
« on: December 20, 2020, 11:29:29 am »
Hi forum,

So I have decided to undertake a bridging course in chemistry to meet a subject prerequisite. The only worry that’s facing me is that the course finishes on the 3rd of June, which means I will miss out on the major offer round. Will going for a later offer round disadvantage my chances for mid-year entry? My atar is moderately above the minimum threshold and I was told this will increase my chances? What do you all think? Is it a big deal missing the major offer round? Will the course completely fill up in that offer round?

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Re: Missing major offer round
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 11:45:55 am »
Hi forum,

So I have decided to undertake a bridging course in chemistry to meet a subject prerequisite. The only worry that’s facing me is that the course finishes on the 3rd of June, which means I will miss out on the major offer round. Will going for a later offer round disadvantage my chances for mid-year entry? My atar is moderately above the minimum threshold and I was told this will increase my chances? What do you all think? Is it a big deal missing the major offer round? Will the course completely fill up in that offer round?
I encourage you to do a different course if you can (a similar course to the one you wanted to do) and in that time do a bridging program after that you can transfer internally. I might be wrong, but I think mid year entry is a lot harder than normal entry.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 02:16:19 pm »
+3
I might be wrong, but I think mid year entry is a lot harder than normal entry.
It's usually not too different, just that there's likely to be less spots available since the majority of people start at the beginning of the year rather than mid-year entry. So, yes it can be harder, but only a little. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

XD12345

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 06:44:31 pm »
It's usually not too different, just that there's likely to be less spots available since the majority of people start at the beginning of the year rather than mid-year entry. So, yes it can be harder, but only a little.

Do you think it will be harder to gain entry if I wait until one offer round after the major offer round? I can’t get in during the major offer round because my bridging course would not be done by then, so I have to wait until the next offer round. Would this lower my chances? My atar is well above the minimum threshold

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 07:06:11 pm »
+1

Do you think it will be harder to gain entry if I wait until one offer round after the major offer round? I can’t get in during the major offer round because my bridging course would not be done by then, so I have to wait until the next offer round. Would this lower my chances? My atar is well above the minimum threshold
I'm not quite sure which round you're asking about, unfortunately. I would probably ask the uni you're hoping to get into after the bridging course to confirm that it's possible/ will reduce your chances of getting in. 

There are usually a small number of spots for mid-year entry, as it's not an uncommon occurrence for students to defer, drop out or transfer in/out of courses between semesters, if that's what you meant. I am not sure how many rounds there are within the mid-year entry.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread